English Words Used in Buenos Aires

JoeBlow said:
What dictionary do you read?

Brutal comes from Latin: brutālis, for example.

True, probably other words from my list and other people's aren't English in origin, more a branch out from the Romantic languages.

I see a word like 'brutal' and think, 'English word' forgetting the few millennia of previous history it has.

French jurist said:
Interesting thread.

Two interesting links :
- http://etimologias.dechile.net/?factura
(factura for croissants and so on is specific to Argentina)
- http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/908200/Etimologia_-lunfardo-y-varios.html
(where the etymology of chimichurri is explained)

You, French Jurist, and Townley, may be interested in knowing (if you don't already) that about 40% of the English lexicon is composed of French words.

Changing topics for a moment: really there is no neeed for people to panic (in France, or anywhere else for that matter) about the influence of English on other languages. Languages, by their nature, always take words from the other languages they come into contact with.

JoeBlow said:
You, French Jurist, and Townley, may be interested in knowing (if you don't already) that about 40% of the English lexicon is composed of French words.

When reading this, the English expression "No $#!+ Sherlock" came to mind. ;)

JoeBlow said:
Languages, by their nature, always take words from the other languages they come into contact with.

This was covered on my flight from the States to EZE Sunday night/Monday morning as I was discussing the Arabic influence in food found in such Mexican classics as Tacos al Pastor. This led to her talking about the origin of Ojalá! and then I interjected that even her hometown of Guadalajara gets its name from Arabic.

It was about this time, or perhaps just after she told me that when she was in Jordan, she saw people who looked like her uncles all the time on the street, that she said "Me encanta la cultura arabe." Then she quickly checked herself and made sure that no one else heard her, because we were on American Airlines after all and I don't think that she wanted to be handcuffed and restrained for the rest of the flight... (though the thought did cross my mind more than once. ;) )

Napoleon said:
When reading this, the English expression "No $#!+ Sherlock" came to mind. ;)

Can you honestly think of two people who know this besides you (apparently) and me?

I was discussing the Arabic influence in food found in such Mexican classics as Tacos al Pastor

There is nothing Arabic in the name "tacos al pastor".

JoeBlow said:
Can you honestly think of two people who know this besides you (apparently) and me?
Me! :) And I'm guessing FJ knows too.

There is nothing Arabic in the name "tacos al pastor".

I agree to being confused as to the arabic origin of this.

I'm sure you all know that there is a whole mess of Spanish words that come from Arabic including arroz, naranja, aceite, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_influence_on_the_Spanish_language

But what I find amusing (yes, I'm easily amused) is that many of these "A" or "Al" words have the "the" already in the word. For example, albóndiga: meatball; ball. From Arabic al-bunduqa (البندقة) "the ball." So, when we say "la albondiga" we are saying "the the ball". ;)

mini said:
Me! :) And I'm guessing FJ knows too.

I agree to being confused as to the arabic origin of this.

I'm sure you all know that there is a whole mess of Spanish words that come from Arabic including arroz, naranja, aceite, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_influence_on_the_Spanish_language

But what I find amusing (yes, I'm easily amused) is that many of these "A" or "Al" words have the "the" already in the word. For example, albóndiga: meatball; ball. From Arabic al-bunduqa (البندقة) "the ball." So, when we say "la albondiga" we are saying "the the ball". ;)

Indeed Mini, it's normal too since Spain has been under Arabic domination for centuries.

In France too, there are quite many words of Arabic origin : kleps (chien / dog), bled (village).
Many other words of Arabic origin, passed by Spain before reaching the french language too : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mots_français_d'origine_arabe

Arabs brought too the zero in maths.

One example of a french word of russian origin : "bistrot" (restaurant). About 200 years ago there were Russian troops stationned in Paris and the Russian soldiers asked for the food (or maybe the drinks ?!) to be handed out quicker using the russian word (sorry for the spelling) "bistrote, bistrote" to say "quicker, quicker".

JoeBlow said:
Can you honestly think of two people who know this besides you (apparently) and me?.

I and most english speaking people I know are fully aware of the scope of words in English derived from French. Calm down.

JoeBlow said:

The entire population of Canada.... minus maybe, Alberta. And even they can probably tell you what your breakfast ingredients are in French.

Back