English Words Used in Buenos Aires

rrptownley said:
I and most english speaking people I know are fully aware of the scope of words in English derived from French. Calm down.

I'd like you to ask two people you do know. Would you do that for me? I'll ask two I know as well, too.

(Let me know if you happen to ask two Canadians. That wouldn't help prove my point or yours.)

The Townley may or may not be an overeducated Brit and thus has many overeducated friends who have seen similar words of 8 letters or more both in their English classes in school as well as in their French classes.

returning to the main topic of the post, "heavy" is a word used a lot, like to describe a sketchy neighborhood or when something bad is happening in someone´s life. even better, "re heavy" is used for a substitute of muy pesado in the context of a tough situation, for example.

it´s already been mentioned, but i love "touch-and-go" to describe a sexual relationship that is casual.

Napoleon said:
When reading this, the English expression "No $#!+ Sherlock" came to mind. ;)

I did my homework.

One woman from the US (working on her doctoral thesis no less) gave me a "nope, never heard that".

One well-heeled Londoner gave me a: "heard something along those lines".

rrptownley said:
Cheesecake,
Super (ie. Estoy super celosa!)
Fulero (onomatopoeiac of Foul)
Suéter/pulóver
Bondi
Brutál
Face (ie. Hacer face)
'Llamar a Hugo' (The english name Hugo is an onomatopoeia to suggest vomiting).
Total

Many other words from Italian, Hebrew, Indigenous Indian, even African dialects feature in the language here.

Where does bondi come from? I use it all the time and never thought about the origins. Everytime I ask my boyfriend about the etymology of a word in lunfardo he has no idea and we have to look it up.

Ok, kids. Just because it's spelled like an English word, there is part of an English word in it, or it sounds like an English word does not mean it is an English word used in Spanish... Bondi & "llamar a hugo" are good examples.

ETA: Opps, I forgot to add the reason for my post:

Does anyone know of an online dictionary that give the etymology of words in Spanish? I have an online Spanish dictionary but it doesn't give the root of the words.

I first heard 'llamar a hugo' in a Billy Connolly sketch
(3:42)
Still no idea who came first though...

Bondi is from the English word 'Bond', as linked above. A Brazilian transport company bought it's buses through English bonds (does this make sense?) and they acquired the name 'Bondinho' there, which was brought down here too; 'Bondi'. Bond translates into Portuguese as 'Obriguaco' or something of that ilk, so must have taken it from the English.

No suggestions for an online dictionary, sorry.

rrptownley said:
I first heard 'llamar a hugo' in a Billy Connolly sketch
(3:42)
Still no idea who came first though...

Bondi is from the English word 'Bond', as linked above. A Brazilian transport company bought it's buses through English bonds (does this make sense?) and they acquired the name 'Bondinho' there, which was brought down here too; 'Bondi'. Bond translates into Portuguese as 'Obriguaco' or something of that ilk, so must have taken it from the English.

No suggestions for an online dictionary, sorry.
You are correct my dear lord, but...

a "bond" does NOT equal a "bus"

"Top" = "Top"

"Freelance" = "Freelance"

"Orsgam" = "Orgasm"... (I loved it when she butchered that word... :eek:)

Napoleon said:
"Orsgam" = "Orgasm"... (I loved it when she butchered that word... :eek:)

Never heard that one (orsgam that is).

Some words though, seem to have been butchered but they have not : like "cocodrilo" when in english or french it's crocodile. In fact, in ancient french, and presumably in ancient english, the word was cocodrile.

Back