English Words Used in Buenos Aires

Napoleon said:
"Orsgam" = "Orgasm"... (I loved it when she butchered that word... :eek:)

Haha! Orsgam, that's half AWESOME, half GASM.

'Oh, I'll think I'll have myself an ORSGAM! Hell yea, way better than your average orgasm.

Well, hopefully in sex matters, in various languages, people stick to the original latin word :D

mini said:
Does anyone know of an online dictionary that give the etymology of words in Spanish? I have an online Spanish dictionary but it doesn't give the root of the words.

Have you tried the Diccionario de la Real Academia?
www.rae.es

There are many online apps based on RAE and available on different websites, but rae.es works just fine, so I didn't look up other options.
As far as I know, this is the most reliable resource available online. It points to the origin of a specific word, no explanations attached. It is, after all, the most authoritative Spanish dictionary.
You may find some "diccionarios etimológicos", but they're rather poor:rolleyes:

What dictionary do you use, by the way?

Saturnine said:
Have you tried the Diccionario de la Real Academia?
www.rae.es

There are many online apps based on RAE and available on different websites, but rae.es works just fine, so I didn't look up other options.
As far as I know, this is the most reliable resource available online. It points to the origin of a specific word, no explanations attached. It is, after all, the most authoritative Spanish dictionary.
You may find some "diccionarios etimológicos", but they're rather poor:rolleyes:

What dictionary do you use, by the way?

I just use the first one that pops up on google. Probably not a good strategy. ;)

rrptownley said:
Bondi is from the English word 'Bond', as linked above. A Brazilian transport company bought it's buses through English bonds (does this make sense?) and they acquired the name 'Bondinho' there, which was brought down here too; 'Bondi'. Bond translates into Portuguese as 'Obriguaco' or something of that ilk, so must have taken it from the English.

No suggestions for an online dictionary, sorry.

Yes. Sorry, I meant "brutal" but wrote bondi as I'd just finished reading the article and had bondi on the brain. It probably does come from English bonds somehow. Probably like a company name or the Xerox, Kleenex syndrome.

Brutal is a Spanish word.

Sorry, but I don't get the joke. :) "Orsgam" sounds weird to me. I'm a local and I've never heard that word used here. We just say "orgasmo".

Cheers,

rrptownley said:
Cheesecake,
Super (ie. Estoy super celosa!)
Fulero (onomatopoeiac of Foul)
Suéter/pulóver
Bondi
Brutál
Face (ie. Hacer face)
'Llamar a Hugo' (The english name Hugo is an onomatopoeia to suggest vomiting).
Total

Cheesecake: is it not an american dessert???
Super: comes from latin
Brutal : Latin, brutalis
"Hacer Face" and "llamar a hugo": i'm a native of bs as and never heard these expressions
Total: Latin, totus

Going back to an earlier statement about 40% of English words coming from French. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say from Latin? Since most of the romance languages (french, spanish, romanian, italian) share Latin as a root?

Oh and whomever mentioned touch-and-go (which also makes me giggle). I've always wondered the difference between touch-and-go and amigovio. Is the prior super casual and a one time thing and the latter more of a friends with benefits and on-going?

Sorry for the tangent.

"zoom" for a zoom lens

normally pronounced "SOOM", with an "s" sound at the start and like the entire word is accented (stressed) within the sentence.

citygirl said:
Going back to an earlier statement about 40% of English words coming from French. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say from Latin? Since most of the romance languages (french, spanish, romanian, italian) share Latin as a root?

Interesting question. But I think you do have to say it came from the French and not the latin because the influence of French came around 1000-1200 ad when French already existed. So French was derived from Latin but it was the French language that influenced English. Although there are also words in english derived directly from directly from latin.

Most are derived form Latin and various Norse/Pict languages at the time. There are some specific words we have from French, usually later (renaissance) period; Toilet, Parliament, for example.

Back