Extension of stay and visa rounds

coinist

Registered
Hi,

I am new in Buenos Aires and I am on a tourist visa (soft. developer with remote options). I would like to stay more. I do not want to go through the "Student Visa" option and what I would like to ask is, what if I stay 3 months and extend for 3 months and then exit and enter again;

1) Is it easy to extend the second 3 months for another 3 months inside Argentina?
2) If I apply for citizenship after 2 years by doing this, will the time I have spent (entering and exiting included) count against 2 years?

Sorry if this is a repeating question, I have read so many messages here but I could not find the answer.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am new in Buenos Aires and I am on a tourist visa (soft. developer with remote options). I would like to stay more. I do not want to go through the "Student Visa" option and what I would like to ask is, what if I stay 3 months and extend for 3 months and then exit and enter again;

1) Is it easy to extend the second 3 months for another 3 months inside Argentina?
2) If I apply for citizenship after 2 years by doing this, will the time I have spent (entering and exiting included) count against 2 years?

Sorry if this is a repeating question, I have read so many messages here but I could not find the answer.

Thanks!
1. Yes it's easy.
2. After 6 months you have to leave. You cannot extend again. Despite what some member on this forum say, overstaying and applying for a citizenship at 2 years is generally not a viable option to get citizenship (6-7 years ago it was easier). Judges are generally reluctance to go down that path. Is it possible? Sure -- if you are lucky but you'd need to invest in good legal representation but with no guarantee of success, spend several years and spend lots of $$$.

1. Yes it's easy.
2. After 6 months you have to leave. You cannot extend again. Despite what some member on this forum say, overstaying and applying for a citizenship at 2 years is generally not a viable option to get citizenship (6-7 years ago it was easier). Judges are generally reluctance to go down that path. Is it possible? Sure -- if you are lucky but you'd need to invest in good legal representation but with no guarantee of success, spend several years and spend lots of $$$.
Thanks for the reply! No, I want to do it legally and have no intention of overstaying. I will try my chance with visa extensions/leaving and entering and what I could understand from your words is the time I will spend in the country will count against 2 years rule (without getting temp. residence)

Thanks for the reply! No, I want to do it legally and have no intention of overstaying.

Working full time for 2 years in Argentina while on a tourist visa without paying taxes is at least questionable. Besides, I think you will a have hard time proving a "honest way of living" when (and if) it comes to it.

Visa runs are possible.

For the citizenship game, you'll need to receipts of you supporting yourself without looking like you're committing crimes.

ATM receipts might do it. or western union receipts.

You also sound like you're pretty good at giving english lessons and could generate quite a bit of legal income from that.

ATM receipts might do it. or western union receipts.
This is a very big stretch. The question is not that you are getting the money, but where you are getting it from and for doing what.
And signing any kind of a job contract with a notary is not a standard practice in the most places.

i think someone. implied that you can _start_ the process for the rentista visa (but not finish) and then immediately begin the citizenship process. The rentista gives you the abilty to stay without visa runs and the citizenship process will conclude when you're legally eligible.

The physical presence in argentina is not your biggest problem. showing a legal means of supporting yourself is. That should be your first concern now.

i think someone. implied that you can _start_ the process for the rentista visa (but not finish) and then immediately begin the citizenship process. The rentista gives you the abilty to stay without visa runs and the citizenship process will conclude when you're legally eligible.

The physical presence in argentina is not your biggest problem. showing a legal means of supporting yourself is. That should be your first concern now.
Thank you for your honest answers. I already have my own company in the US (small and not so promising but anyways) and also working as a remote developer so I hope I can show that. My main intention is not the citizenship actually, just living here more but legally. Also as lunar (thanks btw.) mentioned if I could pay taxes here I gladly could do it, I cannot even open a bank account here.

I'm not sure you want a legal way of living here but one that doesn't require visa runs?

You have number of problems that need a solution:
1. You are limited by 90+90 day stays.
2. You are working but not paying taxes

What i don't know is how long you want to stay in Argentina and do you want to be able to come back?

If you want to stay more than 2 years... Citizenship solves all your problems.

If you want to stay for a bit and not leave... Overstay your tourist visa. Pay the fine.

If you want to acquire Permanent Residency... Well that's a solution but needs getting it requires being a Temp Resident for 2years or Argentine Child/Spouse.

Argentina requires people who are working in Argentina to be paid in Pesos. NOT USD. So if you're making money in USD, you need to turn it into Pesos. At the government rate, not the blue. I'm not sure you want to do that.

My main intention is not the citizenship actually, just living here more but legally.

I think that by doing visa runs you just open yourself to a possibility of being rejected at the border. While formally complying with immigration requirements for tourists, after you go into a "perma-tourist" category it does not really matter. Perma-tourist with an overstayed visa and perma-tourist with a visa in good standing are about the same.

Back