Farewell Buenos Aires

My father was born in Italy. I still have our family home ,it has been in the family for over 130 years. I have lived there and visit often. Argentina is like a colony of Italy. My wife's thesis was on Italian immigration to Argentina. The food is better in Italy , the women just as beautiful. The difference is that Italy has come up to modern world standard's as a member of the EU. Argentina has no such ambitions. Sure there is still a lot of hassles to getting things done there. The law in Argentina is written on Italian law. As is the way they do most things.

GS , you are right about the politics and economics , but the infrastructure is not so bad.

But the food , is by far better than any attempt here in Bs As.

I was there in 1994. Probably much better now.

I guess the pizza would be better in Argentina if you like under-cooked cardboard crust, 4 lbs of melted cheese, and olives thrown on top for color variety.

Me? I like thin crust and a real choice of toppings (pepperoni, sausage, chicken, BBQ chicken, spinach, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and even pineapple) ... and tomato SAUCE, dammit! Where's the freaking tomato SAUCE? Pizza is supposed to have tomato SAUCE! A spray coloring of reddish stuff on the dough doesn't equal tomato SAUCE!

Did I mention that I like tomato sauce on my pizza? :)

I lived in italy for ten years. I've lived here for three.

It's a food crime to even compare the "italian" food here to what's actually in Italy. I've had good pizza twice here in three years. Good pizza in Italy is just the norm, what you count there is the times you have bad pizza. It's basically a mirror image.

If there are locals here who think the pizza is good, you can deduce one thing from this: they've never been to Italy.

I'm sorry but even the average pizza in Vietnam is better than in Argentina. Also the postre is better here than Argentina (and at 1/3 the price). One benefit of French colonialism.

To be honest, all those reactions make me wonder when have you guys been last time in Italy?

I spent the month of November at my home in Cinque Terre. That would be 2012.

Thereandbackagain,

I spent the entire month of November at my home in Cinque Terre. That would be 2012.

So, someone joins just to say he's leaving? Sounds like a bad guest to me, even if he is Welsh. You're letting the side down boyo!

Just to add a big thanks to Gringoboy for a great video.....I'm still laughing :D

Just to clarify (and as it says in my original post) I have lived in Buenos Aires and have been on this site for the last 18 months. I don't know why it says I am a newcomer.
Maybe I am being a bad guest, but Buenos Aires was a pretty lousy host if you ask me.

Of course, this is only my opinion. I have had many wonderful experiences in Argentina, but all outside of the city.

As for Italy, I am moving to a place called Lecco, which is in the very north of Italy on the banks of Lake Como. Look it up and you will see why I made my decision.

As for food, well I guess I will find out. But in my experience, the original is usually the best.
But I doubt they will beat empanadas.

Just my opinion.
Now I'm off to enjoy the Welsh cold.

Majortungsten,

Lecco is a beautiful area of Italy. Right on Lake Como. I have been there many times doing business in Mandello , just down the lake. A little cold for my tastes. If you like motorcycles , the Moto Guzzi factory is in Mandello. Bellagio is a World famous town on Lake Como . Also , Bergamo , Brescia , and Verona are all close , as is of course Milano. Lago di Garda is also very nice , especially Torbole , Riva (of wood boat fame) , Sirmione and Malcesine.

Tanti Aguri !!

Back