FBI Background Check

Just as an update as things have changed since the original post.

1) It takes 12 weeks for FBI reports to be processed. Once they are finished, they can be apostilled.

2) AFAIK, FBI reports must be sent to a US address.

I just went to Migraciones for my work visa about 3 weeks ago and submitted my FBI background check with no apostille. All documents I presented were translated by a local public translator and then legalized at the Colegio de Traductores Públicos. The workers all know that the FBI background check need not be apostillized.

The youngish woman at the window who reviewed my documents was bitchy and curt. I thought I was finished and later my ´gestor´ said he thought she had been looking for a reason to reject my case. It all worked out, though. Now I have the ´precaria´ and am waiting for them to bring the foreign DNI to my apartment.

citygirl: where did you get changed information about the apostille?

Directly from the FBI website (you are lucky that they would accept without the apostille, migraciones may not be aware yet).

9. Does the FBI provide apostilles*?
(*An apostille is a certification that a document that has been “legalized” or “authenticated” by the issuing agency through a process in which various seals are placed on the document.)
Yes. The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this way may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requester to obtain an apostille if necessary. This procedure became effective on January 25, 2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided. The apostille service is not provided to individuals requesting search results for Canadian immigration, as it is not required for this purpose.

Popper said:
Here is the link to the FBI record request that you'll have to print out with the accompanying fingerprint "card". The hardest problem will be getting the finger prints done here as the police departments typically don't like doing this service (it's free) when they see FBI. They might not be willing to sign off either. Once you have them, just mail them to the FBI and they'll be processed in two or three weeks. If you need them faster, you can include the proper shipping envelope. If you need any more advice, let me know. Good luck.

Such a very amazing link!

FBI does send things to Argentine addresses. Just got a nice Manilla envelope the other day.

Saludos!

I have a brother who is American/German and is living in Buenos Aires at the moment. He is applying for residency in Argentina. He needs to get his fingerprinting taken and send to the FBI in the United States in order to recieved a background check to bring to the Argentina authorities in order to obtain the residency.

However, one problem that He is struggling is that he already sent his fingerprinting to the FBI for the first time but it was rejected. He did the fingerprinting at a local police station and apparently it was not done correctly.

My question is that I am thinking that He could get this service done at a private agency in Buenos Aires where they do fingerprinting.

Do you know by any means a legal/private/ fingerprinting location where he can do this?

I appreciate if anyone can response with appropriate and legal information.

Thank you.

The key to getting a FBI background check is going to the police station, live scan facility or professional. They will take the rolls and flats of your prints. Take the prints on a FD-258 card if possible. If not download the paper FBI fingerprint from the site. Take your prints, actually take 2 'cause if one get rejected they can see the other. It's better than waiting for 12 weeks to get it rejected.

Afterward you can get it apostille, but if you are not in the state, you can send it to your family member or an apostille agency like Apostille Pros www.apostillepros.com. They will get the apostille for you and send it to you in another country. Often they do it 1-3 business days.

carmen21 said:
Saludos!

I have a brother who is American/German and is living in Buenos Aires at the moment. He is applying for residency in Argentina. He needs to get his fingerprinting taken and send to the FBI in the United States in order to recieved a background check to bring to the Argentina authorities in order to obtain the residency.

However, one problem that He is struggling is that he already sent his fingerprinting to the FBI for the first time but it was rejected. He did the fingerprinting at a local police station and apparently it was not done correctly.

My question is that I am thinking that He could get this service done at a private agency in Buenos Aires where they do fingerprinting.

Do you know by any means a legal/private/ fingerprinting location where he can do this?

I appreciate if anyone can response with appropriate and legal information.

Thank you.

Back