FBI Background Check

mcaffa said:
About 2 years ago
Yeah, I think that's when they were still efficient! I heard once upon a time it only took a few weeks. My partner tried everything within his power to get his expedited (up to a written letter including the reasons needed for expedition), follow-up phonecalls, etc., to no avail. His took 15 weeks.

MizzMarr said:
Yeah, I think that's when they were still efficient! I heard once upon a time it only took a few weeks. My partner tried everything within his power to get his expedited (up to a written letter including the reasons needed for expedition), follow-up phonecalls, etc., to no avail. His took 15 weeks.

Wow, that is just nuts. I'm lucky I have all of that stuff out of the way.

I am a Canadian but I saw in US T-shirts with the logo FBI - Female Body Investigator...
If you are offended, just ignore me, I am under the influence ;)

ElQueso:

Would you care to share the name and a link to the attorney you found so helpful? In the EEUU, "specialty firms" are asking as much as U$3800 per person

dear ElQueso,
I would love to find that lawyer that you used. can you pass me his information please? my email is [email protected]. It would be a huge help!
Thanks a lot,
Max

Anybody with a clear, cut answer to the apostille and the background check? Is this necessary? This thread has some conflicting answers in it....

I just sent my fingerprints and form in to the FBI with a Fedex account number to send to my U.S. address. I previously did this for my Argentine DNI but now I'm in the U.S. again and I need it for employment here.

The current wait times are about 8 weeks. After 4 weeks you can begin calling to see what the status is - google them for the specific phone number. My credit card was charged about 4 weeks after I sent the document, so I know they are processing it. When I called they said it was still in process and that I should call back.

Regarding the apostille, the FBI used to not condone this, but as of 2010 you may in fact take the certificate to the State Department to be apostill'd. Unfortunately this is one extra annoying step. You can do this along with your birth cert or whichever materials you needed apostill'd. The safest option is to have the FBI send your clearance to a family member in the U.S. who can then take your stuff to be apostill'd. Check the State Dept website to see if there is a place locally (in the U.S.) that will do apostilles. Otherwise I think you have to send it to the State Dept office usually in the Capital of the state.
http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

From the FAQ on the FBI website at:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/faqs
9. Does the FBI provide apostilles*?

(*An apostille is a certification that a document has been “legalized” or “authenticated” by the issuing agency through a process in which various seals are placed on the document.)

The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this way may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. This procedure became effective on January 25, 2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided. Note: FBI-approved Channelers cannot provide an apostille. A request for your FBI Identification Record must be submitted directly to the FBI if an apostille is needed.

Hope that helps! Sorry I don't have more info because I'm not doing it for Argentina this time!

tinto said:
The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission.
After 2 times of them failing to put the seal on it after requesting it I gave up and just waiting for the interpol report to come back. I hope you have better luck.

Hola,
I need some help resolving my doubts!
I'm in the same situation with the fingerprints, i have been in 3 different places, comisarias and policia federal, where they just dont want to help me with this. What can i do??? :( :( :( :(

If I finally get this, i send all the papers thru regular mail to WV, and then they will send it back to ARGENTINA? Or it has to be an U.S. Address? This is gonna take long time, my appointment is in 4 weeks and I dont't know what to do!!!!!! I went the first time with mi county background check, but didnt want it.

And one more thing, where did you translate and apostillate this document? I have less than a month here in Bs As, and the only person I know is my boyfriend, and he is kind of lost as well because he never went thru this process....

HELP HELP HELP!

You're SOL if you need it in less than a month. You need to get your fingerprints done, sent to the FBI and they will do the background check. That takes approximately a month these days. Then they send it back to a US address and someone will need to forward it the US State Dept. They will apostille it and then send it to you (can be sent anywhere, you have to include a prepaid envelope in the mail). If you're lucky, that will take about 2 weeks. So minimum time is 6 weeks to get it all done.

Back