FBI Background Check

NYKate said:
Dont' have that much time. I'm getting married June 5, moving to BsAs on the 18th. The movers will not move my things until I get a "provisional visa" which is just a 90 day visa given to those who are applying for permanant residency. Can't get that until I have my background check....
Would have started the process sooner however I was told that I should do it closer to the time when I am to be there so that I don't have a huge window of time that I'm here and not covered by the check.
I could have applied earlier but I didn't.

Are you applying for your visa in NY? If so then I think you only need a local report & not an FBI one.

The FBI document cannot and will not be appostiled. AR officials accept it as is.

ghost said:
The FBI document cannot and will not be appostiled. AR officials accept it as is.

This is actually new (1/25/2010). It can be apostilled. The division officer at the FBI signs and has the request stamped with a seal. The FBI officers signature is "authenticated" with the US Secretary of States Office of Authentication.
If it's not required in Argentina, all the better.

We aren't applying in NY b/c he's living in BsAs and due to the time frame in which I'd be able to get the copy of our marriage cert, get the documents apostilled and translated, he would have had to leave NY b/c he has school and work. It's just easier to do it in BsAs b/c he will be there. The timing is a huge issue and is really FRUSTRATING. I can't seem to get it right! :(
I'm sending in the application today with a return reciept. As soon as I get that card back in the mail, i will start calling. Just praying I don't lose my mind between the wedding, packing and dealing with this stuff.

ghost said:

The FBI document can be apostilled (it's something that started this year).

You may see the information in the FBI's faq page http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/faqs.html (quoted below).

4. Does the FBI *apostille?
(*An apostille is a document that has been "legalized" or "authenticated"
by the issuing agency. This is a process in which various seals are
placed on the document.)

The FBI’s CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and signature of a Division official on the results, if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this matter may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. This service is not provided to individuals requesting search results for Canadian immigration, as it is not required for this purpose. This procedure becomes effective 1/25/2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided.

Has anyone run into an issue where their background check was issued post 1/25/2010 and it wasn't apostilled so it was rejected? Just trying to save myself some time instead of having to wait another 20+ business days...

FYI Just got off the phone with the FBI. They are not expediting requests at this time. The average wait time for the background check to go through is 13 weeks.

Also, if you need the check to go to another persons address, you need to create a cover letter with the date the request was sent, the person who you are releasing it to with their address and have the letter notarized. Then it must be faxed into MIH - 304.625.9792

Sorry to hear - as I mentioned, mine took 13 weeks only to be told at the end that the fingerprints I had sent in were unreadable.

Just an FYI - and it may be too late - but from everything I've heard/seen - it might be easier to do the residency app at the consulate in NY. And again, in NY - a local police report will suffice which takes much less time.

Could someone clarify how you get an FBI criminal records check apostilled? And also, when it is necessary. I looked at the FAQ section on the FBI site linked earlier on this thread. It seems like they can "authenticate" the document if requested, but you have to send it into the State Department after you receive it to get it appostilled. Is this correct?

Also, do local police records not suffice to get a work visa?

On another note, do birth certificates need to be appostilled by the State department and not just the state you were born in?

Thanks!

Hi Citygirl - thanks but I can't do it at the consulate here b/c he has to be here for the appointment along with all of my documents being translated etc. He has to be back in BsAs right after the wedding (no honeymoon :eek:( ) So i'm back to square one! Thanks for your advice though!

STElmoFranco said:
Could someone clarify how you get an FBI criminal records check apostilled? And also, when it is necessary. I looked at the FAQ section on the FBI site linked earlier on this thread. It seems like they can "authenticate" the document if requested, but you have to send it into the State Department after you receive it to get it appostilled. Is this correct?
You need to include a coverletter to
FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306

Explaining that you need a Department official to sign the document and authenticate the results. Then you send it to the US Department of State - Office of Authentication to be apostilled. There is a fee that can be paid via personal check.
Also, do local police records not suffice to get a work visa? Not sure but I am assuming it is the same issue as mine. You apply in the US then the local records should be fine, you apply while in Argentina you might need the FBI records.

On another note, do birth certificates need to be appostilled by the State department and not just the state you were born in?
They need to be apostilled by your State not the State department. You can go to the NY Secretary of State (123 William Street) and pay the $10 for them to stick an apostille on the front.

Thanks!

I got my FBI backround check apostilled by the NC Secretary of State. I don't know about in NY but in NC, you can actually go in person with your documents to the Secretary of State to have them apostilled. If you drop them off before a certain hour, then they are ready the same day... if not, the next day. It might be something to look into depending on how close you live to their office.

Back