FBI Background Check

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, just to clarify, a background check must be no less than 6 months old no matter what?

I am going to apply for residency soon and I am a bit confused too. I have a background check from the US but it is dated from about a year ago, but I have not been in the US for that entire year. So I still have to get a new one, even if I haven't been back to the US since I got it?

I haven't left for Argentina yet, but I requested a criminal background check almost 2 months ago (haven't gotten it back yet). I just wanted to make sure it would be valid if it was dated before I arrived in Buenos Aires/left the U.S.?

laureltp said:
I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, just to clarify, a background check must be no less than 6 months old no matter what?

I am going to apply for residency soon and I am a bit confused too. I have a background check from the US but it is dated from about a year ago, but I have not been in the US for that entire year. So I still have to get a new one, even if I haven't been back to the US since I got it?

Migraciones will probably reject it, especially if you aren't using a gestor or a lawyer. Even if you are, it may not be accepted. Earlier this year they would not accept my certificado de domicilio that was six months and one day old. You can ask at migraciones, but it's possible that you could be told yes now and have it rejected when you present it with the rest of your documents.

I'm certain it won't be more than 6 months old, probably 2-3. But my confusion is if I can get it before I leave the US, or have to be in Argentina when it's issued.

I know this request/post is a bit old, but if anyone would still like to know, here is some info based on relatively recent first-hand experience (it's now mid-July 2010). These lawyer friends mentioned by the original poster, those who say the process is easier in Bs As? Regardless of where they are, IMHO they have no clue. My suggestion is to do it in NYC—I wish I had.

First of all, the Argentine consulate in NYC will accept (or did accept as of early 2010) a background check from the NYPD (if you live in the 5 boroughs). This takes 14 days—or was it 10, I don't remember—and a bit of footwork downtown to get the county clerk stamp and the apostille, which are in 2 different locations at 60 Center Street and somewhere on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, by Pace University, respectively (State Street? I don't recall that either—look it up). But BE SURE to call the AR consulate and get the most recent info, as you will learn soon enough that things change around here (and at the consulate), often, and for no good reason.

The advantage of the NYPD letter is that one will wait AT LEAST 13 weeks for the FBI letter (my sympathy goes out to the poor soul who's been waiting since November, I hope you've received it by NOW! Though one never knows.). Then, when you try to get information from the FBI in West Virginia (at that 304 number provided in another post) after having waited even LONGER than 13 weeks, they are absolutely clueless, unhelpful, and downright rude. **FYI: I had been told at one point by the local FBI rep at the US consulate that the letter was only valid for 2 weeks (!) though how that could possibly be, I have no idea. More misinformation and idiocy, I assume.

Also, the NYC AR consulate website used to say the process there takes only approximately 10 days (again, check for current status).

Translation: you cannot simply have a local "friend" do it here in Argentina unless s/he is an official public translator certified by the Colegio de Traductores Públicos, who charge a set fee for each type of document, regardless of the number of words—and it's a RIP OFF. I can put anyone in touch with translators in NY who will most likely charge you LESS, as they'll do it by the word.

One does NOT need to pay a lawyer, regardless of where you do it. One simply has to read the info on the website (NYC AR consulate or the AR migraciones) and do what they tell you to do. You set appointments (in Bs As ONLY on the migraciones website, don't try calling, it's always busy or they don't answer) and the "sit around and wait for your number to be called" times are minimal to non-existent, in my experience.

Quite honestly, all of the problems I had with the process were the U.S.'s fault, the Argentines have been absolute angels, I even have "my own funcionario," as I like to call him, at Av. Antartida who gave me a kiss on the cheek whenever I went there. He loves to show off his English—he's SO nice that I just let him, despite the fact that I speak fluent castellano, he always recognized me and remembered my name. Aaahhh...that stereotypical AR male behavior occasionally DOES have its advantages...seriously though, I got the impression that he's truly just a nice person who doesn't hate his job and wants to be helpful. How refreshing!!

Also, bear in mind that if a US-American, Canadian, Aussie, etc. DOESN'T already have the residency before arriving, this person will have to pay US$131 (or whatever it is for Canadians, Aussies, etc) upon arrival at the airport, as you will still be considered a tourist.

Mucha suerte to all who embark on this process, ESPECIALLY those from the US. Be patient...time will tell if it was worth it or not. Beso.

I just received my FBI background check this week, exactly 9 weeks from the date I mailed the request. Very surprising, considering they told me on the phone that it takes 10 weeks to even clear security.

Hello I am also from Boston and am now in BA....i dont blame you for leaving such ane evil place, lets chat sometime

have been here a month but have traveled here many times and am going to stay. I hate boston and love it here so i dont blame you for getting out of that place

ferka07 said:
have been here a month but have traveled here many times and am going to stay. I hate boston and love it here so i dont blame you for getting out of that place

Boston is indeed awful...

I have a friend who told me that you have to send the background check back to the US for certification or something? And by now it's become too old and he needs another one.

I don't know why people bother with the Argentine bureaucracy...

I think you could get DNI very fast though if you tell them you're Bolivian or Peruvian and that you'll vote for Kirchner, then you also get 200 peso/month for groceries :D

hey if thats what i have to do inorder to get the damn thing im for it, instead of going to the laboratorio de idiomas at UBA and making pretend i need to learn spanish and take unecessary spanish classes just to get a student visa....

Back