FBI Background Check

ferka07 said:
hey if thats what i have to do inorder to get the damn thing im for it, instead of going to the laboratorio de idiomas at UBA and making pretend i need to learn spanish and take unecessary spanish classes just to get a student visa....

I'm not sure you can get a student visa to study spanish. Since you already speak spanish, why not stop pretending and enroll in a real degree program. It can take a long time anyway. So it will give you time to work out what you want to do or until you get a job to sponsor you, etc.

mini said:
I'm not sure you can get a student visa to study spanish. Since you already speak spanish, why not stop pretending and enroll in a real degree program. It can take a long time anyway. So it will give you time to work out what you want to do or until you get a job to sponsor you, etc.
im already studying spanish, migraciones requires you to be an active student, and since i am currently enrolled verification from the UBA is sufficient to confirm that you are a student therefore qualifying for a student visa. I am all done with school, i really didnt come here to do college all over agian....ugh!! This is just to fulfill the requirements to get a temp visa which i will then present to the employer who is asking for it, granted once i get the FBI and apostille and all that happy horse s*&it....

ferka07 said:
im already studying spanish, migraciones requires you to be an active student, and since i am currently enrolled verification from the UBA is sufficient to confirm that you are a student therefore qualifying for a student visa. I am all done with school, i really didnt come here to do college all over agian....ugh!! This is just to fulfill the requirements to get a temp visa which i will then present to the employer who is asking for it, granted once i get the FBI and apostille and all that happy horse s*&it....

Interesting. Let me know how it goes. I'd be very very surprised if you were able to get student visa to take spanish language classes. I'm sure there are alot of people who would be interested in doing the same things. But hey, I'm never surprised when I'm surprised. ;)

I recently received my Argentine residency and I must warn you that the FBI is quoting a strict 13 week waiting period with absolutely no rush service. I received my background check without a seal or signature, a completely non-legal document. I had specifically noted in the application, as well as a cover letter, that I needed the document for use in applying for residency in Argentina. They admitted to their mistake and yet took another 3 weeks to send me a signed and stamped copy. I almost lost my job here in Argentina from their stupidity. Make sure to apply 13 weeks in advance and do be sure to clearly state that the purpose of the background check is for your residency application. I hope you have better luck with them than I.

Hello everyone, thank you so much for the insightful posts. I had a few question regarding the criminal background check.

1) Before 'moving' to BsAs on a tourist Visa 8 months ago, I lived for California (Berkeley and Oakland) for 7.5 years. Does Argentina accept local police reports for the criminal background check, or should I rather submit for an FBI background check? I ask because the difference in time for receiving this document is important to me.

2) If I do have to get the FBI background check, will I need to also have the document apostilled? I understand that this is a new service, so I believe that Argentina must have accepted a certified-only FBI background check before, however, I would like to know if this is still the case. I would like to save myself the hassle of doing something that I do not need to do.

Thank you so very much.

nehalecky said:
Hello everyone, thank you so much for the insightful posts. I had a few question regarding the criminal background check.

1) Before 'moving' to BsAs on a tourist Visa 8 months ago, I lived for California (Berkeley and Oakland) for 7.5 years. Does Argentina accept local police reports for the criminal background check, or should I rather submit for an FBI background check? I ask because the difference in time for receiving this document is important to me.

2) If I do have to get the FBI background check, will I need to also have the document apostilled? I understand that this is a new service, so I believe that Argentina must have accepted a certified-only FBI background check before, however, I would like to know if this is still the case. I would like to save myself the hassle of doing something that I do not need to do.

Thank you so very much.

Bump..... Anybody?

nehalecky said:
1) Does Argentina accept local police reports for the criminal background check, or should I rather submit for an FBI background check?

2) If I do have to get the FBI background check, will I need to also have the document apostilled?

Someone recently posted that the Argentine consulate in NYC accepted the local police report, but another member of the forum who was applying in Argentina said that migraciones only accepts the FBI report and now that the Apostille is available they are asking for it, too.

I have to add my two cents..I just got all this stuff... and YES it takes a long time.. it took me 10 weeks to get the FBI fingerprint check.. and there is no speedy service.. so dont expect it before 10 weeks at least.... the paper you get looks like you could print it on any computer except there is a fiber running through the paper so it is on official paper.. I also wanted seals, signatures etc and I requested it.. but I didnt get anything just a print out form... I was lucky it did work and I did get the work visa..... but expect it to take 3-4 months to get the paperwork in order and then get through the system!!!! If you didnt drink before this you will after you are finished!!! good luck to all!!!!

I just want to confirm that they now require FBI background checks. I went today and they did not accept the state background check with apostille and legalized translation (Another 175 pesos wasted). Furthermore they were very anal about everything, not all my middle names were on background check (they don't fit on my US drivers licence, but are in my passport), so they would not accept it anyway. These people are really a big pain to deal with, it is practically impossible to get any reliable information from anyone, and you can forget about calling them.

When I went to the Argentine Consulate in NYC in July to inquire, the woman I spoke with said that if I am applying for a work visa from outside of the US (ie, New York City) through the Consulate, the Consulate would be satisfied with the NYC police report, but if I applied from INSIDE Argentina, I would need the FBI report apostille.

That being said, my job offer fell through, and so I didn't wind up applying for the work visa at all.

Back