Fibertel: Internet Service License Revoked

EVER since Néstor Kirchner became Argentina’s president in 2003, he and Cristina Fernández, his wife and successor, have ruthlessly divided and conquered their political rivals.

It's funny that some of the people liking that article are the same who cry 'bias' every time you post a left wing media source. Well what isn't the above?

French jurist said:
3g :
- personal, claro, movistar : 3 gigas of monthly download for 129 pesos (more or less)

Don't you need a DNI to get monthly 3G? Anyone notice how they don't know what 3G is here? They all seem to call it just Internet.

gouchobob said:
Here is another article on the trend in South America and Argentina to reduce press freedom, not good at all.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/31/latin-american-democracies-lash-out-at-the-press.html

Incidents in just the last few weeks range from the grave (the Argentine government’s order to shut down the main Internet provider in retaliation to criticism from its owner) to the ridiculous (a Brazilian law banning parents from spanking kids).

First of all shutting down an ISP has as much to do with freedom of speech as shutting down a network of newspaper stands.
Secondly, are they saying that spanking kids is a good thing? I don't get it.

In Venezuela, where the homicide rate is soaring, the government reacted by getting a court to ban news media from publishing “violent, bloody, and grotesque images.”

More blatant lies. Crime has always been bad in Caracas. And just because the government seeks to ban grotesque images doesn't mean that it has anything to do with limiting freedom of speech. In my country the media doesn't display images like that. We don't need any law as the media in my country has it's own press ethics. But what do you do if they don't? You make laws, what's so strange about that?

Seriously, this is just another slander piece. American propaganda at it's best.

We are staying with Fibertel to the end... that last thing we want to do is help the K's in their vendetta against the press. I don't think they will manage to shut down Fibertel but I think they can (and are) successfully damaging the business and causing it to lose significant market share. I'm not normally a fan of huge media conglomerates but I react negatively against any attempt by any government to limit free press... Once the government gets it grimy hands on the press, its all over. And furthermore, if this decision was not politically motived, I think the interests of the consumers would be taken into account. As it is, the government is not the least bit concerned about the users and is only concerned with hurting Clarin. When there is a monopoly in the US, don't they just force the company to break up or sell parts? (like in the case of Bell... which was actually originally a government created monopoly... and was forced to break up into various smaller companies... nowadays known as at&t, verizon, qwest, and a few others).

Alilou said:
We are staying with Fibertel to the end... that last thing we want to do is help the K's in their vendetta against the press. I don't think they will manage to shut down Fibertel but I think they can (and are) successfully damaging the business and causing it to lose significant market share. I'm not normally a fan of huge media conglomerates but I react negatively against any attempt by any government to limit free press... Once the government gets it grimy hands on the press, its all over. And furthermore, if this decision was not politically motived, I think the interests of the consumers would be taken into account. As it is, the government is not the least bit concerned about the users and is only concerned with hurting Clarin. When there is a monopoly in the US, don't they just force the company to break up or sell parts? (like in the case of Bell... which was actually originally a government created monopoly... and was forced to break up into various smaller companies... nowadays known as at&t, verizon, qwest, and a few others).

There can be little doubt left that the government is waging a serious campaign against press freedom in Argentina.

Dennis, do you have access to the full article? If so, could you PDF it for us? I'd love to read the whole thing!

gouchobob said:
There can be little doubt left that the government is waging a serious campaign against press freedom in Argentina.

+1. The Kirchners are doing everything they can to end or limit freedom of the press.

Coco said:
Dennis, do you have access to the full article? If so, could you PDF it for us? I'd love to read the whole thing!
Rolling Stone about has all the bases covered concerning copyright protection. However, Appelbaum's Twitter account has some images of the piece:
http://gqc3mjjp5tdbbxui.tor2web.com/
Magnify them and you can probably work your way through the thing.

Back