Fibertel Internet Speed

trennod

Registered
We have Cablevision HD + Fibertel 6 megas and have so for about 6 months (previously 3 megas). Speed has been fine up until the last few weeks where have noticed real slow down, so yesterday rang up and complained and found out something interesting that with the 6 megas they guarantee the following download speeds:
- national servers (descargas nacionales): 580 kb / s (nowhere near the 6 megas)
- international servers (descargas internacionales): 290 kb / s (I think from memory)

Anyhoo, mine was downloading at about 400 kb/s and 100 kb/s. They said they would look in to it, then when they called back late and re-did the tests the speeds had miraculously jumped up to around their guaranteed thresholds! I asked the guy about how they managed the speeds and he said he didnt have any idea that it was down by their networks department.

I looked on the net and noticed a lot of people complaining of same thing with Fibertel, that their internet speed decreases miraculously over time.

Must admit I am a bit of an amateur on this, but to me it seems that new customers get faster internet then basically once you are in they slow it down over time and just maintain it around whatever threshold they guarantee (which IMO is bloody low anyway!)?

Id be interested to know what kinds of download speeds every1 is getting as well and whether you guys are having issues?

FYI I am in Palermo.

Most of these telecom and telco companies are in the business of selling subscriptions, their focus is not on providing the service they promote. Therefore, their resources are mostly allocated to enrolling new suckers and not focused on expanding/improving their infrasctructure. Infrastructure investments aren't cheap and have a lot of government made obstacles in this day and age.

They rely on us not having better options.

Their customer support moron layered service sucks. You have to go through a bunch of half trained monkeys that barely know a computer from a microwave to get a solution.. None of them have the authority to make decitions, they just rely messages they have trouble understanding and possibly typing. Also they have no saying in what the grease monkeys will do at your place. Grease monkeys also can't decide without a previous order from above. If and when they show up, they'll likely wave theyir arms and go through the motions but get little or nothing accomplished.
It is mostly a tour de force, a battle of determinations and patience. Eventually, they count on you to find a solution or accept your fate.
In the meantime, you'll get blamed for any issues. You must be at fault and have a shitty computer, not other explanation is plausible.They know that if the simple wiring was done properly, you will get your service up and running one day. Until then, you will have to talk to a myriad of minions who could not care less and are just breathing at the phone for minimum wages until somebody else takes their place.

Whatever you do, do not start mmessing with your computer settings following these people's instructions. If things were fine and then stopped working, it's very likely that the service went tits up, not that your setup miraculously changed itself and mutated into an autistic device. If they're so sure about what needs to be done, ask them to send you and email with instructions, their names and those of their direct supervisors.

www.speedtest.net will tell you how is it going. Expect the bandwith to decrease at certain hours. When people reach the office, before lunch and after, around 5 PM when they check email for the last time before heading home and around 8PM onwards.
Also make sure you do not have a shitload of parasite updaters etc sucking the life out of your connection.

Have Fibertel evolution and for about four months problems, problems problems: Caballito. The way it is told to me, pirate/illegal cable TV boxes cause interference/noise on the lines and internet performance pays the price because of these. It has been a nightmare at times. At first I found it hard to believe, but think their may be a truth in their assessment. Will say, Fibertel has been responsive. See their trucks out in force trying to isolate the problem. They also said they are installing some kind of filters to correct the problem. Down time has improved.
YMMV.

Good luck.

It does seem to be a combination of factors.
Location: some people seem to have worse/better service than others.
Bullshit factor: you phone up telling them about a speed issue. They say they'll deal with it and then 'poof!', the system miraculously heals itself and you're left none the wiser.
Just talking Fibertel here as it's too painful to even utter the words Arnet or NotSoSpeedy.

There used to be a couple of sites "dedicated" to the ADSL providers, they're both offline now.
www.speedyapesta.com.ar and www.arnetsucks.com.ar. 'Nough said.

Its just bullsh*t to be honest. I am really sick of it. Today it is actually much better (go figure). However I dont doubt that in time it will slow down again. Another thing, how much are you guys paying?
6 megas + HD is costing me basically 450 pesos a month:

Servicio Basico $205​
Cablevision HD $75​
Fiber 6 megas $235​
Bonificación ($68)​

Our promo ended so the price has jumped up. I called up and said I wanted the promo again (which would work out to 380), told them it was too expensive, were going to leave etc but it didnt work and they wouldnt budge haha. Said it was only for new customers! In the end I couldnt be bothered with it.

Does anybody have the Digital TV/Arnet/Telefonica combination? Hows it go or is it worse than Cablevision/Fibertel?

I'm pulling 13mb/sec off a 3mb Fibertel connection at 6pm on a rainy Saturday. Pleased with that for now.

I've also noticed at least this past week internet was very slow with Fibertel. I also have the 6 Megas plan.

Telecentro is just as bad, over subscribed, terrible connections no investment in infrastructure.

its cheaper though.

Back