Fibertel: Internet Service License Revoked

So I am down having breakfast in this coffee place. They only newspapers they had there was Clarin and La Nacion. Both apparently at war with the K's. What struck me as odd though was that in neither newspapers could I find quotes from the government officials to why they had revoked the license. And btw, anyone else find the Clarin paper horrible?

Anyways, so I go on the Internet and find:

Por su parte, el interventor de la Comisión Nacional de Comunicaciones, Ceferino Namuncurá, salió al cruce de la información difundida por el Grupo Clarín. “Lo primero que quiero aclarar es que el gobierno no está prohibiendo a Fibertel. El servicio caducó porque Fibertel no tiene personería jurídica, se disolvió. Ellos pidieron la fusión por absorción y la Secretaría de Comunicaciones jamás la autorizó”, señaló.

http://www.eldiario24.com/nota.php?id=205224

No wonder they didn't quote that government official. So the company doesn't legally exist. That kinda sucks for me as a consumer as I would have no rights.
What they really should do is have them sell Fibertel. Then renew the license. And they K's probably would have, if they hadn't been at war with each other.

I'm not sure if this is related ... But I've been seeing utilitity workers laying new pipe all over town. (By all over I mean Barrio Norte, Centro, Recoleta, Montenegro) Inside that pipe it looks like they're inserting cable or fiber optics ... Not sure which.

The pipes are too small to be sewage or new water pipes.

As an observation. I never understood why the sidewalks here in BA were made of smaller tiles rather than larger cement pavings as in the US and elsewhere ... Then while watching them lay new pipe it suddenly made complete sense. It's much easier to pull up the small tiles and access the utilities network below than it would be if they'd used cement paving.

Argentinians made a rather smart choice going in that direction.

LJ2 said:
Argentinians made a rather smart choice going in that direction.

You kidding? That was one thing that always bothered me with Barcelona. Wherever you went, they were always digging up the street somewhere. I always felt like asking them: How about you build a tunnel accessible through a manhole, so you don't have to dig up the street every time?

Argentina and Argentinians can be amazingly creative and as mentioned various times on this forum have created many innovative inventions. The problem here in this society is creating order from caos as it is a natural state for the inhabitants formed by a long history of disorder .

The potential of our society is immense and this energy has to be guided in the right way by government . The Kirchners have good and bad points and lets also not just dwell on the negatives as many do as they as a power structure can no control the whole society as powerful interests including outside interests create a lot of turmoil within.

I can say this though Argentina is riding the economic storm engulfing the world very well and all talk of collapse of our economy seems remote now.

Eternalnewbie said:
to orwellian: no, I have not been notified about anything by Fibertel or Cablevision, and would drop into a faint astonished if I were. Communicating with and working to resolve issues with customers is not something they have on their plate.

They have lost this customer, which I am sure has them in tears of grief, but not because they are operating "illegally," but because they are a lousy business.

Ah, well now the fun will begin - you will never have had as much communication from them as you will have after you have left them. Like a jilted lover, the phone calls and letters computer printed in handwriting font will flow; you were such a good customer, we're not sure why you left us but we've decided to make you this special offer, I have been moved to tears on several occasions (of joy for changing to speedy and having 0 problems in 2 years, not even a modem restart). We actually had a phone call from them a couple of days ago which was, hmmm, optimistic...

perry said:
I can say this though Argentina is riding the economic storm engulfing the world very well and all talk of collapse of our economy seems remote now.
Canada is doing very well also. And for totally different reasons. Argentina is immune to economic disasters having to do with credit....it doesn't have any. Canada does and simply managed their resources well. Zimbabwe was not affected either.
As long as commodities stay high the agro economies will flourish. Until [in the case of Argentina] the queen strangles the final source. At that point it won't be a credit driven "melt down"

orwellian said:
?...they were always digging up the street....

PRECISELY! They were always digging up the STREET. Here they dig up a small section of the SIDEWALK.

For a country that doesn't want to spend the infrastructure money necessary to build a manhole system.... SIDEWALKS are the perfect choice.

In the US, utility companies reroute pedestrians and traffic alike while they reslice pavement and sidewalks so they can access the portions of the utility right of ways not available by manholes. I always hate it when a city has gone the trouble of replacing sidewalks, curbs and streets only to have a utility comapny come through and slice it up again. Then leaving less than adequate repairs as their calling cards. Those sections always need prolonged and repeated repairs.

gouchobob said:
Looks to me that the Fibertel and newsprint issue are better explained by political issues than economic, at least that the way the world is seeing it.

Newsweek, a.k.a 'the world'.

Back