Fibertel: Internet Service License Revoked

dennisr

Registered
Ninety days to find new service provider. Tell me this is not true? I could not survive another go around with any internet company again.

WSJ
:BUENOS AIRES (Dow Jones)--Argentina has revoked the operating license of Grupo Clarin SA's (GCLA.BA) Fibertel broadband Internet provider, one of the country's largest, saying that it was providing the service illegally.

"Fibertel doesn't exist any more," Planning Minister Julio de Vido said at a press conference Thursday. The company has 90 days to notify customers and allow them time to choose a new provider, he said.

The move is the latest salvo in a battle between President Cristina Fernandez and media conglomerate Clarin, which the government regularly accuses of biased reporting.

Earlier this month, the national communications commission, or CNC, said Fibertel couldn't take on new customers because it lacks the proper operating license.

Several years ago Clarin merged Fibertel with local cable television provider Cablevision and began selling Fibertel services under the Cablevision license. That was illegal, according to de Vido.

Clarin is gearing up for a draw-out legal battle over the issue and doesn't expect the company to be affected, Clarin Chief Financial Officer Alejandro Urricelqui said on a conference call last week.

Well, Fibertel had such an ugly service that I can't really be sad.
Problem is that other ISP are bad too, or even worse !

Wow. Sophistication and discretion seem to elude this government entirely when it comes to political street fights. Can't say I'll miss Fibertel though. Any recommendation for alternatives, FJ? I'm in Palermo Viejo.

There aren't that many options are there?
We have Arnet & haven't had any problems in the year 1/2 we've been with them.

I was initially happy that these buffoons will no longer be harassing me for the modem they already have (or my suegro - unfortunately we borrowed his cel and gave them his number during the customary 5month period of waiting to get connected then waiting for someone to come to repair the connection that didn't work then waiting for an assessor to come to tell the connection people who said its impossible that it is indeed possible etc etc) but then I thought, how many people approximately are we talking about who will now be flooding the already overloaded adsl infrastructure of this city?

The Clarin group is powerful enough not to take this sitting down - the suspension is already being appealed.

Telecom also offers Internet, in combination with their phone service - anyone has experience with them?

pauper said:
I was initially happy that these buffoons will no longer be harassing me for the modem they already have (or my suegro - unfortunately we borrowed his cel and gave them his number during the customary 5month period of waiting to get connected then waiting for someone to come to repair the connection that didn't work then waiting for an assessor to come to tell the connection people who said its impossible that it is indeed possible etc etc) but then I thought, how many people approximately are we talking about who will now be flooding the already overloaded adsl infrastructure of this city?

That's indeed a good question, but I guess other companies will take over the fibertel infrastructure (don't know if that's doable though ?)

pauper said:
these buffoons will no longer be harassing me for the modem they already have

I thought the same thing when I heard the news on the radio...;)

Well, in doubt, people needing internet should rush to the other internet companies (the waiting lists will surely be long)

Back