Fidel Castro Dead At 90 Years Of Age.

Nikad¨ La revolucion cubana in 1959 was a necessary step that with the passage of time went horribly wrong.
No US gov't official has ever said at any time that China was ¨democratic.
One of the best ways to draw countries into dialogue is thru free trade.
Castro didn't have a huge set of b---¨s.He is simply a megalomaniac like a milder form of Hitler
Che Guevara was truly crazy. When he was interviewed by the Manchester Guardian during the missle crisis in the early 1960s and asked what he would do with the missles, if the Yanquis attacked or invaded Cuba again like in the Bay of Pigs fiasco,Che replied that he would fire them at the US.
The Guardian reporter then replied,¨¨That is when I knew he was bonkers¨.
Lame dictator nothing he had the full support of the Soviet Union.

Trading with countries that torture, kill and override any human rights is called greed. Cuba was not of interest hence blocked, China on the other hand was more interesting. I simply do not tolerate hypocrisy.

I have zero respect for Che Guevara, the man who fought some other country's war and ignored his own.

There is no Revolucion anywhere without the people's support. There is not a single case in history where people lived indefinitely oppressed waiting for the oppressor to die.
Like noesdeayer I have great respect for your contributions to this forum and have learned from them. This one, I think you may have a blind spot. There have been innumerable cases of brutal dictators seizing power, murdering all opposition and staying in power till death ended the reign. Want a name to illustrate?

Joseph Stalin.

Now of course "the people" are not a single, monolithic entity, so there were undoubtedly those who would say they loved and admired him. But for most of the 290 millions of them, yes, they were waiting for him to die and hoping for a better life because they had no other choice.

Here's another: Saddam Hussein.

Stalin and Saddam lived in modern times. Do you think that the millenia preceding them contains no examples of cruel despots, hated by the people, but too powerful to oppose? I'm afraid history isn't on your side this time.

Like noesdeayer I have great respect for your contributions to this forum and have learned from them. This one, I think you may have a blind spot. There have been innumerable cases of brutal dictators seizing power, murdering all opposition and staying in power till death ended the reign. Want a name to illustrate?

Joseph Stalin.

Now of course "the people" are not a single, monolithic entity, so there were undoubtedly those who would say they loved and admired him. But for most of the 290 millions of them, yes, they were waiting for him to die and hoping for a better life because they had no other choice.

Stalin and Saddam lived in modern times. Do you think that the millenia preceding them contains no examples of cruel despots, hated by the people, but too powerful to oppose? I'm afraid history isn't on your side this time.
I guess you are right about those two, with a big and powerful army on their side they managed to do it, however if you look at Latin American history it is not the case. No Latin American ( or Central American ) country had such long dictatorships without people consent or support. Cuba could have turned into misery land, such as Haiti, instead you find lots of poverty but no indigence in Cuba. I think in their case, people benefited. Can't say the same about the ex URSS for example.

Joseph Stalin.

Excellent And so forth....

Ceausescu
Honecker
Trujillo
Pol Pot
Duvalier
Marcos
Gadaffi

Really one could go forever...

No Latin American ( or Central American ) country had such long dictatorships without people consent or support.

How about this guy? Does he qualify?

https://en.wikipedia...redo_Stroessner

Note that his long reign (1954-1989) was not ended by a popular revolution, but by an internal military coup.

You could say that international relations are not just laced with hypocrisy, they are hypocrisy. It's all a dance of false smiles and handshakes for the cameras, while each side is working only for its own advantage. Nothing new about that: alliances have never been about friendships.

So in the case of Cuba, one side was livid that a communist government dared to plant itself in the western hemisphere and did some pretty nasty things to make it go away, while the other side was praising the little island for its bravery in standing up to the imperialistic USA, while planting atomic missiles on its soil, absolutely guaranteeing Cuba's obliteration if ever one was launched.

What is lost in all the rhetoric is the central fact of life in Cuba: there is no individual freedom, and any dissent is brutally repressed. So if we ask, "is the education and healthcare worth the price of absolute obedience to the State?" ,,, well, is it?

What is lost in all the rhetoric is the central fact of life in Cuba: there is no individual freedom, and any dissent is brutally repressed. So if we ask, "is the education and healthcare worth the price of absolute obedience to the State?" ,,, well, is it?

Because I have never lived in extreme poverty or ever went to sleep on an empty stomach, had my children crying because they were hungry, I honestly could not say.

Because I have never lived in extreme poverty or ever went to sleep on an empty stomach, had my children crying because they were hungry, I honestly could not say.

Nor have I. Which is why it's a question that shouldn't be answered by non-involved people who risk nothing with their strident bloviating.

My Hero Juanita Castro Ruz who denounced his brothers as responsible for the death of thousands and the extreme suffering of the Cuban People for 50 years, in pursuit of the Communist Quimera Listen to her words in Youtube. She lives in Miami and has had no contact with the Castros since 1964. She was forced to leave Cuba for her beliefs.

BRAVOOOO

https://www.youtube....h?v=TOkyfKWR7Ek

How about this guy? Does he qualify?

https://en.wikipedia...redo_Stroessner

Note that his long reign (1954-1989) was not ended by a popular revolution, but by an internal military coup.

You could say that international relations are not just laced with hypocrisy, they are hypocrisy. It's all a dance of false smiles and handshakes for the cameras, while each side is working only for its own advantage. Nothing new about that: alliances have never been about friendships.

So in the case of Cuba, one side was livid that a communist government dared to plant itself in the western hemisphere and did some pretty nasty things to make it go away, while the other side was praising the little island for its bravery in standing up to the imperialistic USA, while planting atomic missiles on its soil, absolutely guaranteeing Cuba's obliteration if ever one was launched.

The ANSWER is Obviously NOT since most Cubans want to leave this Communist Paradise of great Free Education and Health.... :rolleyes:

Do you really think that Castro's policies are the only ones that have caused indirect deaths? I think this happens all over the world, under any kind of regime: democracies, dictatorships, etc. I think there is a lot of misleading propaganda. I of course think every single life is valuable, but governments are ruled by majorities. I feel sorry for the people that tried to escape what the majority supported. I myself felt trapped under the Ks government...

Governments are ruled by majorities??? Did you mean many governments are ruled by military and corruption? Donald Trump will rule with a minority for example.

Back