Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

Recently we switched from flowerbeds to vegetable patches. We now have lettuce, celery, spinach, ciboulette, and parsley. Next month we'll plant tomatoes. All can be grown in containers, on balconies or terraces.

Recently we switched from flowerbeds to vegetable patches. We now have lettuce, celery, spinach, ciboulette, and parsley. Next month we'll plant tomatoes. All can be grown in containers, on balconies or terraces.
Now we're finally in our new house, we will be doing the same :) though I think we might wait until it's a bit more spring-like before planting. The grass seed has taken forever to sprout.

I'm getting lomo now at a carniceria near my house for 10000 pesos el kilo.

At today's blue, that's about US$ 7.20 el kilo.

And using MODO, I get a 35% discount (maximum discount of 6000 per week).

That brings the price down to about US$ 4.70 el kilo.
In 2009 there were barely any difference between official and Blue, less than 5%, so if you want to compare you have to use the official exchange rate.

In 2009 there were barely any difference between official and Blue, less than 5%, so if you want to compare you have to use the official exchange rate.
No. I'm sorry but that's wrong. You showed a price for lomo at the blue rate now in 2024. My post was to show that I was getting a much better price for lomo than the best (blue) rate quoted in your post. And that my price was lower than the price in 2009, not higher.

I showed the calculation for the price I actually paid.

The same as for anyone holding dollars.

If you don't have dollars, of course, that's a different story. (But even without dollars, using MODO or cuenta DNI in AMBA and many other places you've been able to get 30-35% discounts on carne, verduras, and many other products and services for many months now. With MODO and without the dollar blue, my price for lomo still would have been US$6.75/kilo, significantly lower than in 2009, at least for as long as these discounts continue.)

Anecdotally I’ve noticed a lot of places jump their prices around 10% this week concurrently after having been flat for a while. Seems odd to me how coordinated it seems to be

Last week I paid (at a net exchange rate of $1300 to 1 USD) $2.79 per pound for the roast beef, $1.99 per dozen for the eggs, and $0.15 per litro of bottled water.
I just checked current prices in the USA and the average price for "all beef roasts" is currently about five dollars more per pound than I am paying for roast beef here and eggs are almost four dollars more per dozen.

I also consume Nescafe Clásico instant coffee on a daily basis. I buy two 1 kg bags at a time for just under $10 USD per kilo and reuse the "original" 170 gram jars I bought about four years ago, refilling six of them at a time.

Nescafe Classic in 200 gram jars currently cost as much as $21.00 USD on Amazon in the USA, so I am paying less than half that for the coffee I consume here.
aant the
Nescafe Original Instant Coffee - 200g (0.44lbs) https://a.co/d/dYjGcTq

I also buy refined grasa de vaca to cook with (500 grasms currently cost $1600 pesos) and do not use it sparingly. I also use sal rosada himalaya, but not an excessive amount, and only sprinkle a few pinches on the eggs and the meat after I finish cooking.

I eat eggs in the morning and the evening and the roast beef in the early afternoon. I never combine them in the same meal. I cook everything on a 27 cm "plancha de hierro" (lisa/smooth and properly seasoned/not ribbed or enlozada).

Last edited:
I also buy refined grasa de vaca to cook with (500 grasms currently cost $1600 pesos) and do not use it sparingly.
After thinking about this I want to add that I only use about a tablespoon of the beef fat each time I cook. That more than "coats" the plancha, but the three eggs that I prepare each time (always whisked in a bowl with a little water) do not seem "greasy" to me.

I never cook with seed.or "vegetable" oil and I have no fear whatsoever of consuming animal fat.

What would really horrify me is eating even a small melanesa with.a side order of French (or "fresh") fires, both deep fried in seed oil, especially in a restaurant.

Last edited:
What would really horrify me is eating even a small melanesa with.a side order of French (or "fresh") fires, both deep fried in seed oil, especially in a restaurant.
I just noticed that I misspelled Milanesa and wanted to say that before switching to roast beef early this year (when I switched from keto to carnavor) that, on a daily basis, I was preparing beef "cuadril" that was cut for the preparation of Milanesa. I simply cooked it in the beef tallow on the "stove top" plancha, but It wasn't very flavorful.

After experimentating with several other cuts of beef, I decided to use roast beef as my usual, mid-day selection. I brown both sides well, cover the meat with an inverted saucepan, reduce the heat, and continue cooking until it is "done" enough to be hot through to the center (but still far too rare for any Argentine that I know to ever be willing to eat).

I know that most everyone reading this will not be able to imagine eating such a restricted diet and eating the same thing at almost the same time eveyday, but I can say that I am very surprised how satisfying it has become.

I can say that I am never "very" hungry. Yes, í crave dark chocolate occasionally, but I haven't had any since December of 2021...and not consumed any candy, cookies, crackers, pastries, bread, rice, or pasta since June 2019. I did eat some oatmeal with dried cranberries during the first months of the plandemic, but I stopped eating both when I started keto in 2021.

The bottom line is that my daily food costs are now about seven dollars.

Last edited:
Back