Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Just to clarify, sorry if someone already said it, but if we have a DNI extranjero do we still get the tourist rate on our US credit cards?

Just to clarify, sorry if someone already said it, but if we have a DNI extranjero do we still get the tourist rate on our US credit cards?
in theory no. https://www.ambito.com/dolar/turista-partir-hoy-visa-aplicara-mep-turistas-extranjeros-n5607831
La medida -dispuesta a través de la Comunicación "A" 7630- exceptúa de la liquidación en el mercado de cambios los pagos que realicen los "no residentes mediante tarjetas de débito, crédito, compra o prepagas emitidas en el exterior".
Until we find a volunteer Guinea pig expat with DNI we won't know the answer and even then there is no a guarantee that things won't change later. The article also indicates 322 rate for $US, but the visa web shows 295... buy a couple of medialunas and you'll know:)

I don't think they have a way to distiguish it. I've made two payments through my MercadoLibre account today, which is linked to my DNI, and it went through at the new rate.

The secret would be to never give your DNI or just make it up, I've done that loads in the past and nothing ever happens.

In the beginning they said that it would work with any cc issued abroad, regardeless of residency status and even for arg citizens holding foreign ccs.

I don't think they have a way to distiguish it. I've made two payments through my MercadoLibre account today, which is linked to my DNI, and it went through at the new rate.

The secret would be to never give your DNI or just make it up, I've done that loads in the past and nothing ever happens.
I think so as well, it's too early into the process for them to be able to incorporate the residency info into this salad, but I believe they do have the ability to link your info to your CC ( between your passport and you DNI, your ID details are unique ). If or when they might try to do it remains to be seen, that's why I said there is no guarantee. But if one gets into a habit of paying big amounts with CC and they do manage to pull it off, one might wake up to a bit of a surprise one day

I paid for a hospital visit on a Danish bank account Mastercard debit and got the difference back.

I think so as well, it's too early into the process for them to be able to incorporate the residency info into this salad, but I believe they do have the ability to link your info to your CC ( between your passport and you DNI, your ID details are unique ). If or when they might try to do it remains to be seen, that's why I said there is no guarantee. But if one gets into a habit of paying big amounts with CC and they do manage to pull it off, one might wake up to a bit of a surprise one day
I agree with Che1990. They currently don't have a way to distinguish it. Providing the DNI is more of a necessary step to finalize the transaction and generate the receipt, but it's not like it's reported to the BCRA or other entities. As a matter of fact, it's become more and more common for merchants to not even ask for the DNI. I've provided my DNI and even paid via Mercado Page with my foreign CC as the funding source and still received the partial refund back with no problems. If they ever implement a way to differentiate this, every merchant must get the option to enter into their POS system if the person is a tourist or not, that seems very unlikely. Maybe FATCA will come into play later, but then again that will most likely affect ARG citizens with bank accounts in the US.

I agree with Che1990. They currently don't have a way to distinguish it. Providing the DNI is more of a necessary step to finalize the transaction and generate the receipt, but it's not like it's reported to the BCRA or other entities. As a matter of fact, it's become more and more common for merchants to not even ask for the DNI. I've provided my DNI and even paid via Mercado Page with my foreign CC as the funding source and still received the partial refund back with no problems. If they ever implement a way to differentiate this, every merchant must get the option to enter into their POS system if the person is a tourist or not, that seems very unlikely. Maybe FATCA will come into play later, but then again that will most likely affect ARG citizens with bank accounts in the US.
it has nothing to do with the merchants having to enter your DNI, you CC can be identified as pertaining to a resident / citizen on the Visa side and a corresponding conversion algorithm will treat it differently. it's a very simple thing to implement - except nothing is ever simple i argentina, so the residents might be able to benefit from it for a some time to come or with some luck indefinitely

Back