Gaining weight in Buenos Aires

Lee said:
Fact is that eating more calories than you burn (regardless of the food that is the source of those calories) results in the body converting said calories to fat.

Indeed this is not sugar free and therefore must conform to the those rules and without a doubt that is totally true and fresh fruit would be a superior choice before either regular ice cream or frozen yogurt.

However, for those who will inevitably indulge (and you know who you are) frozen yogurt is the far better choice even though it has sugar vs ice cream that contains BOTH sugar and also FAT!

Indeed, but fresh fruits also have "fruits sugars" or fructose. Still a better choice than ice cream that's for sure.
What Fruits Are High In Sugar?

Fresh fruits that are relatively high in sugar are grapes, kiwi, oranges, pineapple and tangerines.
Fresh fruits that are very high in sugar are bananas and mango.
All dried fruits are high in sugar as they are concentrated.

Calories do go to gaining and losing weight in the same way whether they come from fruit or ice cream.

The advantage of choosing fruit goes to health.

A doctor recently did a study to show weight is simply related to the calories consumed. For months some ate nothing but Twinkies, Doritos and other junk food while others ate low carbs or low fat. Only the number of calories mattered in weight loss.

jb5 - Which is the simple fact that no diet guru wants to point out :) You MUST burn more calories than you consume. Period.

Now if you eat healthy foods, that are naturally lower in calories and have a lot of nutritional value, that makes the process much easier and you healthier But you still need to get out and get exercise and burn off those calories.

Eating a junk-filled diet will be bad for your overall health and due to the number of calories, make it even harder to burn more than was consumed.

But there's no trick. Fad diets will drop weight but you won't keep it off. It's all about creating a lifestyle that is healthy and active. Work out and enjoy your food in moderation and you'll look great.

I gained a ton of weight when I moved here, in part because I was determined to have what I thought was an authentic porteño experience. So... café con leche with medialunas for breakfast, menu ejecutivo for lunch, another café con leche for merienda (maybe with a couple of medialunas with ham and cheese), and then a big dinner late at night.

The extra walking and exercise just couldn't keep up with this. I mean, the portions are huge, and those cookies and squares that come with your coffee don't eat themselves. Not to mention all the liquid calories in red wine, and the fact that veggies seem to be an endangered species in most restaurants here.

My solution has been to ask my cleaning lady to cook healthy meals for me; for example, a variation on pastel de papas that is made with chicken breast instead of ground beef, and puré mixto instead of just mashed potatoes. Her time is inexpensive and she's a great cook. Then I buy more groceries and make sure I have alternatives for breakfast and lunch that are healthier than a tostado or medialuna. The only way I have found to be successful is to eat at home most of the time, and really limit going out to eat. OR, using the large portions to your advantage by ordering them to go, and then dividing them into 2 or 3 meals when you get home. When I do go out for a steak, I go to a parrilla that has asado veggies as a side, then I skip the potatoes (the bread on the table is enough).

If you follow a program like Body for Life by Bill Phillips (as I do, now) that is smaller meals 6 times/day, high protein, low fat, moderate carbs -- and work in some cardio and resistance training, you can not help but succeed (especially here in the land of protein). The program builds in a Free Day, which you can use as an outlet for all of your cravings.

Good luck!

The typical porteño diet of lots of carbs, soft drinks , medialunas is tortuous for your health . In the last years peoples weights have skyrocketed astromically in the Capital Federal and Argentinians are now the 13th fattest people on the earth.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html

The original diet of the gauchos is the best for keeping weight off . Absolutely no carbs . I have tried all diets and the only one that works is the high protein diet , no sugar and no carbs . High fructose corn syrup is one of the main reasons of the obesity epìdemic and its a disgrace that governments are in bed with big business to keep people unwell and fat!!!!

Back