Get your pots out for the lads!

GS_Dirtboy said:
tomdesigns, I can surely appreciate your sentiment. It can be hard to rationlize the poverty here sometimes (though it doesn't compare with what I witnessed in India). With all compassion for your feelings I'm not sure "crippled" is a word that I would use.

We had a housekeeper for years from Paraguay. She spoke Guaraní, the language you were probably referring to, and Spanish. The level of poverty from which she came was unbelievable. And the stories she would tell of what they had to do to get (almost) edible food would make you squirm.

She lived in the villa next to Retiro when my wife met her on the street in front of our apartment. She offered to sweep the sidewalk every morning for 2 pesos. We paid her for a week. Then we noticed that she was not only sweeping the sidewalk but had brought a couple of guys with her one morning to fix a broken tile in the sidewalk. In addition, she was watering the plants and flowers, and she re-hung a welcome sign that had blown off the door.

We helped her get her papers and hired her as our nanny. She was unbelievably great: responsible, dedicated, and always did 50% more than what you asked her to do. And, for someone with a 3rd grade education, she was suprisingly astute about politics and how the world works. She was very aware that (many) governments "buy" votes by giving freebies. Once she was able to vote, she voted her conscience.

There are many stories like this that friends here have relayed to me. What I've taken from my 47 year's experience with people is that education level, socio-economic level, race, nationality, religion, etc, do not determine a person's honesty, clarity of thought, and compassion for one another.

Having said all of that, though I may feel horrible about the conditions in which others in the world might be living, I can't be responsible for the entire world. What I can do is help when and where given my means and ability. Take comfort in the fact that you can, and do, make a positive difference with the people that you meet every day in your own way. To those people that difference can be extraordinary.

I was thrilled by your post here about how you helped out a poor lady, by giving here work as a cleaning lady! Amazing story.....!
Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that you can find global statistics that show a relation between education, level of income etc. and criminal offenses. Of course you would have a higher rate of criminals among unemployed people living in the Villa, without money , than between normal workers or higher income people. Also the lack of education gives the people less options for work, or future and therefore force them in criminal directions. Said all that, to emphazize: We talk statistic numbers, not individuals.....of course you have morally correct, hardworking people from the un-educated and poor levels too!

Just a small additional remark: I come from one of the better of regions of this world, (Scandinavia), both in education, personal income, life quality etc etc......and, by us its not common to have a housekeeper....we actually manage to clean our own houses!!!!! Maybe somethiung think about!!!

TERKILD said:
Just a small additional remark: I come from one of the better of regions of this world, (Scandinavia), both in education, personal income, life quality etc etc......and, by us its not common to have a housekeeper....we actually manage to clean our own houses!!!!! Maybe somethiung think about!!!

it makes me think of this quote

“The definition of a white South African is “someone who would rather be murdered in their bed than make it.”
~ Arthur Kemp

TERKILD said:
Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that you can find global statistics that show a relation between education, level of income etc. and criminal offenses. Of course you would have a higher rate of criminals among unemployed people living in the Villa, without money , than between normal workers or higher income people.

You should travel and live in more countries. I have lived/traveled in some very poor countries and i have found as a general rule that the people are very helpful/caring, offer you what they have, which is very little and have had no problems with having stuff stolen, being robbed etc. I think its more of a cultural thing here - if you dont have it its ok to take what you want from someone who does.....

TERKILD said:
we actually manage to clean our own houses!!!!! Maybe somethiung think about!!!

I dont have a maid, because i can easily clean my own apartment, but i have arg friends who have maids, who cant really afford to have them. I dont know if its laziness or a status symbol to say "the maid comes on mondays" etc... It just goes against my cultural grain to have someone clean up after me.....

sivan said:
Matt84 - As a white south african i find that quote insulting. :(

Most certainly not my intention. One quotation made me think of the other which I first read in an awful article about the demise of Rhodesia.
White South Africans and Namibiens are probably the hardiest, most hard-working Europeans in the diaspora I've met.

I don't believe either the Scandinavian or Southern African approach to domestic work and class/race relations applies to Latin America or South and Western Europe.

In Catholic countries Piety and Patronage are values more popular than Freedom or Order.

Adherence to these values has created a peculiar atmosphere (more popular in older times) where for instance,
-the maid or live-in servants would become part of the family, in part out of pity and the genuine feelings of familiarity that arise when the biz barrier is broken or non existent.

-the indigenous population of South America being more integrated or absorbed instead of... you know

-the craftsman or artisan would be supported by a family to the point of genuine patronage (resulting the master works of the Renaissance)

I don't particularly like this system, I'm just shedding some light on what is a genuinely wide cultural difference between Protestant (like Sweden and South Africa) and Catholic countries. (like Italy and Argentina)

starlucia said:
.......wtf?

My wifes father has no education he is 68 years old and has no idea what is going on in the world around him.. He grew up in the campo started working full time when he was 8 years old.

I love and respect him like a father and he has treated me as nothing less than a son. Because I am attached to his daughter and the family. Even these have so much honor and love it is hard to find words.

It has so changes my understanding of the life.. I have friends in that poor location, friends so poor but so honorable and kind even protective of some Yankee.

I walk the streets here at night sometimes late without fear because they all know me and care for me.. but this is not BA! It is the real Argentina.

BAwithkids said:
GSDirtboy's story is great. I, too, was troubled by the tone of tomdesigns post. Poor people aren't less intelligent, but often have less social, educational and cultural capital with which to negotiate the world. And for many of us, even as fortunate as we are, worries about a place to live, food for our families, personal security, and any kind of stable life would lead to political decisions in which short term solutions to our immediate challenges were prioritized.

I did not say they are less intelligent it is that they do not have the chance to develop that.. and perhaps that is what bothers me the most.. The children covered in dirt with parent’s swallowed in depression and poverty. No way out!

And we first world men and our leaders are so consumed with power and war while all the lives go undeveloped.. As I said I am ashamed!

And what is funny now they all call me Corringo half Correntino and half Gringo. :) I would love to have a name again!

Back