Google Fi: Your international data roaming will be suspended soon

I may try to game the system and put the sim in an old phone and mail it to a friend the US so that it registers there and stops the data deactivation.
Do not mail your fi sim from here, just ask goggle Fi to send a new one in your name to a USA address. Plus the a data only sim for a tablet which might be helpful later. They are all free.

Do not mail your fi sim from here, just ask goggle Fi to send a new one in your name to a USA address. Plus the a data only sim for a tablet which might be helpful later. They are all free.
You know that just makes too much sense. I refuse to do it. I'm going to go by the Personal store and get a monthly plan as well. According to the website, it's 750 pesos per 200mb for data within the Americas and Europe. That's about 16 bucks per GB. It's more than the 10 bucks per GB worldwide but it's the next best option for pure data without having to be connected to wifi. Maybe I should review plans from the other Argentine carriers as well

i haven't figure out what i'm gonna do yet if anything. i'm leaning towards a hot-spot kind of solution, i dont want to change my phone number now.

the SIM idea in the us is interesting, although i have a feeling that if they see one SIM in the US and the other still in ARG that isn't going to help anything.

i haven't figure out what i'm gonna do yet if anything. i'm leaning towards a hot-spot kind of solution, i dont want to change my phone number now.

the SIM idea in the us is interesting, although i have a feeling that if they see one SIM in the US and the other still in ARG that isn't going to help anything.
Technically if you're ok with paying the 20 a month you keep your number. They are only cutting off data. I'm definitely going to just have a sim sent to the US in order to stop the data cut. But at the same time I'll remove the sim here. I don't actually need the number right now.

Technically if you're ok with paying the 20 a month you keep your number. They are only cutting off data. I'm definitely going to just have a sim sent to the US in order to stop the data cut. But at the same time I'll remove the sim here. I don't actually need the number right now.
What would be the cheapest option to maintain a US number that is not Google Voice or virtual, hence can be used for verification?
Ideally, if I can also have data and get rid of the Argentinian number, the better

What would be the cheapest option to maintain a US number that is not Google Voice or virtual, hence can be used for verification?
Ideally, if I can also have data and get rid of the Argentinian number, the better
"With data" is your problem. The combo of Google Fi and Voice on the same phone was your only "all in one pure cell phone solution" for a US number abroad.. technically t-mobile as well. There are virtual solutions like magic jack that others use (house phone basically) that work for verification but that's not a cell phone with data.

probably buy a dirt cheap phone to use the FI service and keep a USA number, then get a local phone / SIM for data. there just isn't another option if Google is enforcing their terms of service for FI to be temporary international data

Regarding SMS verification,
There is a 3 dollars per month plan from T-Mobile (managed by a different company) that works abroad.
There are 30 USD per year plans from MVNO companies that support voice over Wi-fi (and SMS over Wi-fi).
No solutions with worldwide data in this price range.

Alternatively, you can drop your old phone at your friends place and redirect incoming SMS messages to either Google Voice number or to email with some automation software.

Yeah, sorry to confuse. I meant to say have the primary phone number sim sent to a friend, instead of forced cancellation. Once they activate it cancels the sim you have in your phone. You can only have one sim working per phone number. Plus a data only sim for convenience in future. Then pause the service. You keep the phone number and it is ready when you return.

If you have the option to keep the plan with your sim here, then just pause service, keep the number, pay nothing until the day you unpause before heading to the airport.

the basic fi service is 20$ for no data but text and calls. That alone is pretty good since US number for verification purposes are important.

Back