Google Fi: Your international data roaming will be suspended soon

I just signed up for a month plan from Personal. It should work well for international data.

15GB Per month in Argentina
3GB per month in the Americas and Europe
Extra international data at 750 pesos per 200MB.
Plan is around 3k pesos per month

If you consider that I use around 4GB data per month on average, I'd only need to spend an extra 3750 pesos.

So if I'm in Europe for a month that would be around 7000 (35 bucks).. and if I include paying the 20 a month to Google Fi to keep the US number, which is a must, then I'm looking at 55 bucks a month for international travel. That actually is lower than the price of Google Fi itself with my data usage.

I also have a dual sim phone. If I want I can use the sim from Personal, and then activate Fi on the eSim.

The only weak point to all of this is being outside of the Americas and Europe. Data prices are very high in all other areas, whereas they are cover by Google Fi.

i was happily paying for unlimited plus. but alas. i'll probably drop to 20$ and try to figure out how to activate the e-sim on my phone 13. I'm travlign to the USA soon anyways so i'll be able to do that cut over then.

I just signed up for a month plan from Personal. It should work well for international data.

15GB Per month in Argentina
3GB per month in the Americas and Europe
Extra international data at 750 pesos per 200MB.
Plan is around 3k pesos per month

If you consider that I use around 4GB data per month on average, I'd only need to spend an extra 3750 pesos.

So if I'm in Europe for a month that would be around 7000 (35 bucks).. and if I include paying the 20 a month to Google Fi to keep the US number, which is a must, then I'm looking at 55 bucks a month for international travel. That actually is lower than the price of Google Fi itself with my data usage.

I also have a dual sim phone. If I want I can use the sim from Personal, and then activate Fi on the eSim.

The only weak point to all of this is being outside of the Americas and Europe. Data prices are very high in all other areas, whereas they are cover by Google Fi.
Interesting... which plan did you get? My understanding was that you can't get a post-paid plan without permanent residency, only pre-paid, I have a 2GB per month auto-renewing pack and I don't see anything like 15GB on offer.

You should ensure roaming is on in your phone, and also call *111 to make sure it's activated on the network side.

Here are the plans:

I got it with temp residency. They only asked if I had a DNI. Didn't specifically mention permanent residency. Maybe having the new DNI that doesn't say temporary helps.

In regards to roaming, they say it's already activated and if I'm international the 3 free gigs kick in automatically and I will get a prompt to purchase more when they run out.

Here are the plans:

I got it with temp residency. They only asked if I had a DNI. Didn't specifically mention permanent residency. Maybe having the new DNI that doesn't say temporary helps.

In regards to roaming, they say it's already activated and if I'm international the 3 free gigs kick in automatically and I will get a prompt to purchase more when they run out.
OK, good info. We tried to get a post-paid plan while we were on temporary residency, but no go. Something must have changed. Did you go to the office on Honduras in Palermo?

You should be able to check if roaming is active in the "personal flow" app on your phone, when you look at the detail it should say "roaming active". I think, I can't verify that right now because my roaming got disabled. Apparently Telecom are migrating their CRM system and some people's accounts get misconfigured, it seems I fell victim to that. I spent last weekend in Uruguay with "no service" displayed in my phone.

OK, good info. We tried to get a post-paid plan while we were on temporary residency, but no go. Something must have changed. Did you go to the office on Honduras in Palermo?

You should be able to check if roaming is active in the "personal flow" app on your phone, when you look at the detail it should say "roaming active". I think, I can't verify that right now because my roaming got disabled. Apparently Telecom are migrating their CRM system and some people's accounts get misconfigured, it seems I fell victim to that. I spent last weekend in Uruguay with "no service" displayed in my phone.
I went to the office in micro centro.

well, i went today to get a sim from Personal as well. i realized that in fact this is not that complicated at all with a phone capable of dual sims. so now i'll use data with Personal and keep my US number with google.

well, i went today to get a sim from Personal as well. i realized that in fact this is not that complicated at all with a phone capable of dual sims. so now i'll use data with Personal and keep my US number with google.
Exactly. I have Fi set up on the virtual sim and Personal as the physical sim. I have calls and sms set to Fi and data set to Personal. And it literally takes like 2 seconds to change the settings from the phones drop down menu at any times. It's also cool that you can receive calls and texts from whichever sim no matter which is set to default.

Exactly. I have Fi set up on the virtual sim and Personal as the physical sim. I have calls and sms set to Fi and data set to Personal. And it literally takes like 2 seconds to change the settings from the phones drop down menu at any times. It's also cool that you can receive calls and texts from whichever sim no matter which is set to default.
Google pixel, iphone, other brand has that feature?

I too have Google Voice, however it has some limitations. It is not accepted to verify your identity, hence cannot be used with Venmo and Paypal. I am currently outside of Argentina and I cannot login to my Paypal account because it asks for my phone number for verification, but then it says my Google Voice is not a valid number. I try to enter my other phone numbers (regular sim cards in my name) not from the US, and it won't take them, either), although there is an option to select all of the world's international prefixes.
if you had magicjack you would not have this problem. It can be downloaded on your phone and uses the
internet. Voice and text combined with a VPN (nord) you are set. Login to the city where you lived and it
will show you there instead of here. I would never use Google but each to his own.

Back