Google Fi: Your international data roaming will be suspended soon

This is not true. Just google for "magicjack number SMS verification". A lot of people are having problems with magicjack numbers.
actually it is true I have the numbers to prove it and not problems. Do not believe everything you read. Used MJ for 14
years and no problem.

actually it is true I have the numbers to prove it and not problems. Do not believe everything you read. Used MJ for 14
years and no problem.
I don't question that you didn't have any problems. Good for you!
if you had magicjack you would not have this problem.
This is not true.

Some banks send SMS messages to virtual numbers and some don't. If MJ works for you it doesn't mean that it would work for him, may be he is a client of a bank that is more restrictive in this respect.

If I may speak for @lunar , and myself, the visitors and the members of this forum need to search "VOIP" and see what has been mentioned regarding this topic. As an avid user and borderline enthusiast of VOIP products and services, I'm always surprised this isn't topic number one with thoughtful discussions. Instead we get Western Union........but I get it. But really, search for VOIP and see what has been said. There are many options for services, hardware, software, and the like so you can comfortably get your SMS from your bank or call your uncle back home with clarity and low pricing...and it's all WIFI based so get your $3 per month local sim or use public/private wifi..you're connected and fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJL
a lot of banks won't do 2fa over voip sms. This is partly by design as you don't want people to spoof the SMS via VOIP tech. SMS is a _terrible_ way to do security.

just thought I would update this with my recent Google fi experience.

as I posted before my international data was suspended. I ended up with a second local sim card for data and it was fine. later on, I was in the US in October for almost a month and I thought by doing so it would have reinstated my international data. turns out, it didn't. I learned today after landing in Europe that it's still suspended. I tried with the help desk but they insisted it cannot be reversed as it's an automatic system action to block you if it's abused and will only get reinstated by the system if you spend a few months or more in the US again. one month isn't enough.

so, be warned that once you end up on the shit list, you're gonna have a hard time getting off it!

just thought I would update this with my recent Google fi experience.

as I posted before my international data was suspended. I ended up with a second local sim card for data and it was fine. later on, I was in the US in October for almost a month and I thought by doing so it would have reinstated my international data. turns out, it didn't. I learned today after landing in Europe that it's still suspended. I tried with the help desk but they insisted it cannot be reversed as it's an automatic system action to block you if it's abused and will only get reinstated by the system if you spend a few months or more in the US again. one month isn't enough.

so, be warned that once you end up on the shit list, you're gonna have a hard time getting off it!
Good update - were you able to use at least use Google Fi fine in the states?

I, like many others, have been suspended but wasn't sure if when I get back to the states my G/Fi will operate normally.

i'm able to use fi in the states without issue. i downgraded my plan to 20$/mo to keep my number and SMS 2fas moving. Still pretty good from a banking perspective. I moved to e-sim and 20$/mo.

Back