Guests coming to BA for three days...top things to do?

I cant imagine what anyone would see in Puerto Madero beyond the relatively modest restored dikes- a few antique cranes. Everything beyond that is either old brick buildings with restaurants, which you could see in pretty much every city in North America and Europe, or mundane Miami Vice style condo buildings. I do like the costanera, as mentioned, and Mi Sueno's bondiola completo, but thats really not Puerto Madero. Most of what is now Puerto Madero was actually a big rail yard and big warehouses- the photos from the past are pretty neat- much more interesting than whats there now. There is a great aerial photo of it from 1940 that shows a Big Empty, with lots of train tracks.
http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/sig/...nsporte&map=fotografias_aereas_1940_caba_3857

I couldn't disagree more with the above. Puerto Madero is a first rate redevelopment of a port area, better than any I've seen anywhere. I recall the area before the project was completed. Saying that it was more interesting then is just silly. It's vast size alone is impressive. It's constantly busy, lively and cheerful. One of BA's greatest success stories. If time allows, take a look at the excellent Fortabat art museum that is there.

I really appreciate the specific ideas. We always do pretty much the same circuit with guests, and I just can’t do it again! I’m not much of a fan of Puerto Madero, but I do see what sergio is saying about it being a very successful and attractive port redevelopment. Any other ideas for teenagers? I’m thinking a delta boat trip might be the key there and tire them out way before the boliches open ;)

I get the feeling that dislike of Puerto Madero by expats stems from a sense that it is not "Argentine", i.e. that the same sort of thing can be seen elsewhere. It reminds me of the 19th century movement to have the Eiffel Tower torn down as it was considered industrial and ugly by many Parisians. Cities change and adopt aspects from other places just as a lot of BA's architecture was modeled after Belle Epoque Paris.

I get the feeling that dislike of Puerto Madero by expats stems from a sense that it is not "Argentine", i.e. that the same sort of thing can be seen elsewhere. It reminds me of the 19th century movement to have the Eiffel Tower torn down as it was considered industrial and ugly by many Parisians. Cities change and adopt aspects from other places just as a lot of BA's architecture was modeled after Belle Epoque Paris.

Puerto Madero is fine but you are overselling it. Has nothing to do with it not being Argentine, why would an expat living here really care about that? I mean as an expat you are not doing tourist things every day/week so will encounter plenty of things that are not "Argentine". Puerto Madero is a nice place to be for sure and you are right about it being a noteworthy redevelopment, but there is nothing special there that should make it a requirement unless looking for somewhere to eat.

Puerto Madero is fine but you are overselling it. Has nothing to do with it not being Argentine, why would an expat living here really care about that? I mean as an expat you are not doing tourist things every day/week so will encounter plenty of things that are not "Argentine". Puerto Madero is a nice place to be for sure and you are right about it being a noteworthy redevelopment, but there is nothing special there that should make it a requirement unless looking for somewhere to eat.

I guess it's a matter of taste. I am interested in urban planning and I believe PM is a very well conceived project. I find it a very pleasant promenade with lots of interesting restaurants and a creative mix of architecture. It's a major achievement that the city can be proud of. I don't think BA has anywhere near as many important tourist attractions as cities like New York, Paris or London so I believe PM should definitely be on the list of major attractions. There is also a good art museum there, the Fortabat Collection.

grab a taxi to Liniers and have some of the best asado (and a huge array of other dishes) in Buenos Aires at El Ferroviario. Lunchtime is probably best unless you can get a resrervation.

El Ferroviario

we will never agree about Puerto Madero...

But- I would heartily recommend a tour of the CCK. Unfortunately, I dont think there will be any live music in late december- at least, its not on their website right now- which is too bad, because seeing music in the Ballena Azul is amazing. But even just visiting is pretty cool. The restoration of the old parts of the post office building are very well done, including the original counters for postal service on the ground floor. But the new section, built in the old pulmone- light well- is incredible. The Blue Whale stands on huge legs, and inside, its really pretty, with native argentine wood to make it acoustically perfect, and a brand new german built pipe organ that took something like 3 years to build. And, up above, the "chandelier" is pretty incredible too- a multi-story translucent building hanging from the ceiling above the whale. And when there are concerts in the Cupola- oh boy. Its had its original slate french style roof replaced with glass "shingles" so the view is astounding.
Plus there are mini-museums, a whole bunch of cinemas, rehearsal rooms, and much more.
all free, of course.
http://www.cck.gob.ar/visitas

grab a taxi to Liniers and have some of the best asado (and a huge array of other dishes) in Buenos Aires at El Ferroviario. Lunchtime is probably best unless you can get a resrervation.

El Ferroviario
The place is excellent, but Liniers is a complete toilet (at least that area around the train station). Although, it is worth noting all the street sellers were removed last year and the rail side of Rividavia has received plenty of investment and looks much better. They finsihed all the new bus stops just last week and it is a vast improvement. If investment continues, Liniers will look and feel like a new place in a couple of years.

Is it safe to take foreigners to Liniers? With so many good restaurants in nice areas, I can't exposing foreigners to a place like Liniers

Back