Hate North Americans?

Hah! That spam seems oddly appropriate on this thread.

UPDATE: Oh, well, that didn't last long.

arty said:
last time i checked no one is risking their lives to live in china, mexico, canada, etc... only exception is people escaping africa who will take any place over living there.

You didn't check hard enough...

Canada tipped off to migrant ship

Canadian officials were tipped off at least a week in advance that a boatload of Sri Lankan migrants was on its way to the West Coast to seek asylum, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Police were canvassing members of Toronto's large Sri Lankan community two weeks ago for information about the freighter, which was located on Thursday and entered Canadian waters early Saturday.

A Canadian Forces crew piloted the ship to Vancouver Island and the 76 men on board are being detained in Maple Ridge, B. C., while the Immigration Refugee Board decides whether to release them.

arty said:
My argument is that in America, if you work hard you can get ahead and achieve something. Much more so than in any other place in the world

Yes, but can you get free healthcare? Which you can get if you achieve something or not in Canada, UK, Norway, Netherlands etc... you get the picture?

iStar said:
Yes, but can you get free healthcare? Which you can get if you achieve something or not in Canada, UK, Norway, Netherlands etc... you get the picture?

What picture?

ssr said:
What picture?

You don't need to "achieve" or in other words you don't need to be successful or rich to get free health care because it's considered a basic human right in most other countries. Unlike in the USA where people are revolting about a health care bill but no one revolted when the government spent a trillion dollars and counting on the war in Iraq!

You don't see anything wrong with that "picture"?

Eh, if an American needs some cheap health care they can just hop over to Canada or Mexico for a few days (and pick up some nice maple syrup or hot sauce while they're there!). :)

i am poor and stoopid american ...but i love ba because my dogs love it for some reason..they start running around the plane and spinning and stuff when we are 20 minutes or so out..they stand at the hatch and look out like theyre expecting nirvana while we wait for a car.. ...ha...i think theyre getting off on the dog poo smell from the parks and streets..i am sorta ugly old and real poor looking.. anathema to the senses and sensibilities of the sophisticated and beautiful everywhere...and instantly recognizable as an ugly american..its always a crime to be poor ..in some countries its a felony .. in others a misdemeanor...i usually come to ba straight from italy ...the people there joke about the ba people wanting to be italian all the time..so i guess maybe its just displacement as b a ers pass on the projected feelings of rejection...met lots of nice warm and loving people in b a ..found a nice lady whose done the formula one circuit with me for the past 3 years..swears up and down shes really an italian..ha..the people in ba are smart as hell generally..damn im out of stuff to say ..loo eggo a me goes

ssr said:
Eh, if an American needs some cheap health care they can just hop over to Canada or Mexico for a few days (and pick up some nice maple syrup or hot sauce while they're there!). :)

Cheap?

I hope you are referring to the fact that Canada spends less per capita on health care vs. the USA because our health care is far from "cheap".

Did it ever occur to you that Canada and other countries do a better job managing their health care dollars?

We don't allow insurance companies to dictate what care is given?

We negotiate better pharmaceutical prices?

That's not cheap that's what we call good government.

Here are the FACTS.

# 1 United States: 4,271
# 2 Switzerland: 3,857
# 3 Norway: 3,182
# 4 Denmark: 2,785
# 5 Luxembourg: 2,731
# 6 Iceland: 2,701
# 7 Germany: 2,697
# 8 France: 2,288
# 9 Japan: 2,243
# 10 Netherlands: 2,173
# 11 Sweden: 2,145
# 12 Belgium: 2,137
# 13 Austria: 2,121
# 14 Canada: 1,939
# 15 Australia: 1,714

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_spe_per_per-health-spending-per-person

iStar said:
You don't need to "achieve" or in other words you don't need to be successful or rich to get free health care because it's considered a basic human right in most other countries. Unlike in the USA where people are revolting about a health care bill but no one revolted when the government spent a trillion dollars and counting on the war in Iraq!

You don't see anything wrong with that "picture"?

i do see something wrong with us playing global cop and supporting the welfare states you mentioned by defending their interests; this must stop immediately. we could easily fund free healthcare then. imagen how great america would be if we could spend the same GDP amount on defense as the enlightened nations

i would prefer for the US to withdraw from the world and let all the nations that talk smack run it for a while.

iStar said:

well, technically yes. if you go to the er, they must take care of you. and if you don't have the money to pay for it, they send you to collections and if you are lucky like me, the hospital goes out of business before you have to pay it back. last time i checked the free healthcare in canada isn't all that it's cracked up to be and a lot of border towns have ppl from canada coming over for operations they don't want to wait for.

the problem with healthcare in america is the lawyers who sue the doctors to the point where they don't want to practice it anymore. so since they have all those malpractice suits the cost goes up.. vicious cycle. you can blame the gov't for not enforcing any tort reform.

Back