Help Urgently Needed: Forum Expat Gone Nuts In My Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get into personal arguments if I were you with a tenant. Next time just mail a carta documento notifying her that she must vacate on a specific date, and show up on the day the rental lease is terminated and ask for the keys. You'll save a lot of time and energy.

popcorn_zps1c221257.jpg

Yum! Goes great with cinnamon.

I wouldn't get into personal arguments if I were you with a tenant. Next time just mail a carta documento notifying her that she must vacate on a specific date, and show up on the day the rental lease is terminated and ask for the keys. You'll save a lot of time and energy.

That's what her previous landlord did, actually. Not going to get me where I need to go.

This advice might be more apropos for newcomers to BA, or those who don't speak Spanish. That is why I am happy to delete this and collaborate on a thread about how to protect yourself while renting in BA. Believe me when I say I'd explored all my options and I'm still satisfied with the way I've handled this so far.

Please delete this thread ASAP :mad: ... File and Forget. :cool:

The law here protects renters, which is why the owners always ask for a garantia en Capital Federal, plus one month security, plus first and last month, plus the agency fee, etc. I once posted on this forum how my friend couldn't get these tenants out of his apartment after the two year lease expired. I don't know if he claimed that he lost his job or he was sick, and if that happens then you can't legally throw them out. In the States the law protects both parties. I had a tenant in the States that started getting into fights with her husband, the police were called, the neighbors complained and she abandoned her contract but wouldn't leave so I hired a lawyer to send her a certified letter notifying her that if she didn't move and pay the rest of the contact I would sue her and it would be garnished from her wages and she was out faster than lightening. Unfortunately, it's much more complicated in Buenos Aires.

The law here protects renters, which is why the owners always ask for a garantia en Capital Federal, plus one month security, plus first and last month, plus the agency fee, etc. I once posted on this forum how my friend couldn't get these tenants out of his apartment after the two year lease expired. I don't know if he claimed that he lost his job or he was sick, and if that happens then you can't legally throw them out. In the States the law protects both parties. I had a tenant in the States that started getting into fights with her husband, the police were called, the neighbors complained and she abandoned her contract but wouldn't leave so I hired a lawyer to send her a certified letter notifying her that if she didn't move and pay the rest of the contact I would sue her and it would be garnished from her wages and she was out faster than lightening. Unfortunately, it's much more complicated in Buenos Aires.

OK, so this is a grifter roadmap. Definitely deleting this and chalking this one up to experience. I do believe this was necessary, though, to get the message to the intended recipient.

I want to know how this turns out. :p

I think whatever happens Monday, be prepared to take legal action. Find a lawyer... at least send a carta de documento... and take it from there.
It's been my experience that squatters don't have a lot of shame, so public shaming hardly ever works. You need cold and concrete measures and I'd suggest no more contact between you and the tenant unless it's through a lawyer.

There's still time that on Monday she'll have moved out and all this would have been for nothing. Hopefully it works out for the best for everyone.

I want to know how this turns out. :p

I think whatever happens Monday, be prepared to take legal action. Find a lawyer... at least send a carta de documento... and take it from there.
It's been my experience that squatters don't have a lot of shame, so public shaming hardly ever works. You need cold and concrete measures and I'd suggest no more contact between you and the tenant unless it's through a lawyer.

There's still time that on Monday she'll have moved out and all this would have been for nothing. Hopefully it works out for the best for everyone.

I don't think she is a squatter, I just think she needs a time-out in familiar surroundings with her family. I am still concerned about her well-being, believe it or not, but I have to think also of myself and my future bookings (I have more after these next people leave a week from Tuesday - July is busy). I have accepted deposits from people and need to provide these people with the apartment they reserved.

This will definitely not have been for nothing - she saw it and that was the entire point, as she is unresponsive to email, phone, skype (she is on and offline all day, but had disappeared for four days once) and in-person contact.

Going dark soon, but thanks everyone for showing me what this community can do.

Well I want to collect the Dom Perignon from Chief BigHorn.... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back