How can we improve Argentina?

nikad said:
Well, the Constitution here says "...para todos los habitantes del mundo que quieran habitar el suelo Argentino ..." that is why I think immigration has always been so flexible, I am all for immigration, but if you stay illegally and commit crimes, then you do not even deserve a chance to stay. I am not for kicking them out, but helping them become legal residents and contribute with their culture, knowledge and woerk, not with crime.
I've heard that constitutional clause quoted so many times! I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that legally prescribed procedures nevertheless exist for gaining residency (haven't we seen innumerable threads dealing with the subject in this very forum?), and that those who don't bother to follow those procedures have immigrated illegally. If I'm mistaken, Nikad, I'll agree with you again; if not, I say again that those laws should either be enforced or be repealled: having an unenforced law both is a waste of time and space and fosters the belief (through recognition of reality!) that laws mean nothing (or, worse, are a tool -- through arbitrary application -- for oppression in the hands of the governing class).

Most of us are in Argentina because we for one or more reasons find it better to live here.

Every country in the world except "The Royal Republic of Utopia" have pros and contras, and in the case of Argentina, it seems to have about as many vices as virtues.

One thing most appreciated - at least by me - is the leaned back, laissez faire, 'alegria de vivir' attitude we (at least I) meet from the Argentinos, including the authorities.

Let us assume we succeed in convincing the Argentinos to get rid of their real and perceived vices.

Then there is a certain risk, that if (read: when) you bend the rules a little, this is no longer acepted.

That e.g. when you return to clean, honest, straight living Buenos Aíres from your 203rd visa-trip to Colónia, you are met with a "Sorry Mam'/Sir but you have already been staying in Argentina for 6 months this year, so you cannot be allowed entry until next year".

In short: That following a clean-up process, the Argentina I like, sometimes love, no longer exists, it has become New Zealand or Singapore or Danmark or Finland, top scorers on the anti-corruption index and in civismo, but - why am I here and not there?

This does by no means imply that every change shouldn't be effectuated, only that it is necessary to distinguish between what will improve life and what will destroy the good part of Argentinian "vices".

Good ideas and actions concerning living conditions, improved efficiency, how to eradicate real corruption, improve education, , etc., etc., etc., including how to remove all the minor annoyances like dog poo are good ideas in their own (BTW: very little of this in e.g. my own home town, Mendoza - here the main problems on a stroll is the many missing tiles and the holes in the sidewalk).

Give it a thought.

pericles said:
... Private schools should never be much better than public schools ...
I strongly disagree - but if you refrase to "Public schools must be as good as private schools as regards curriculum and teacher and teaching quality ..." - the positive approach - I'll change it to 'strongly agree'.

pericles said:
Languages must be very high priority and Portugese and English should be compulsory . Multilinguality creates smarter healthier individuals and less nationalism.
A personal experience: In Danmark we can watch German TV.

For this reason my daughter spoke German as her third language when she was five years old, having learned it from TV assisted by me => not doblaje (Eng: language synchronization ?) but subtitles on 50 percent of the movies (we must consider the interests of the many functional analphabets) - as seen in many other countries, and in Argentina e.g. in the "Cine Universidad" in Mendoza.

For the rest of your post: +++ except I prefer "must" to "should be".

nikad said:
Mandatory volunteering ...
:D:D
nikad said:
Protests should be regulated: those who block roads, bridges, etc should be arrested.
Teach people how to protest quietly but efficiently: Means & methods.

RWS said:
Excellent thoughts, Nikad! I (a foreigner) would modify only to urge deportation of all illegal immigrants -- allowing the breaking of any law to go unredressed contributes to the flouting of all laws -- and to emphasize that governmental corruption must be rooted out through all means possible.
Refrase to "deportation of illegal immigrants who are sentenced to ..." - a specified level of punishment (that is e.g. one or two or ... years in jail).

nikad said:
I would eliminate buses in the city and would replace them for tramways ( like those in SF ) no pollution, no noise, no crazy speeding.

Like the tram del oeste in Puerto Madero. It's a pity because if you build some trams like that they would be thrased soon enough

I am hoping they will extent the train to Retiro and Caminito, people who study at the UCA would use it

I personally don't think that the public transport with trains, busses and subte is that bad, they should elimate half the busstops though. It will decrease the polution, noise and travel time

Maybe also some minor changes in the route so that the buses travel more through the avendida's

BTW: Doesn't this thread belong in 'Expat Life' rather than 'Newcomers Forum'? - can it be moved in its entirety (all posts) - Admin?

after trying five different directions to offer my services gratis or without mentioning anything. all were dead ended. not received well. and basically left me feeling rather poorly so to speak. in more truthful words, they made me feel like my opinion, my offer, my ideas were stupid as an outsider. in two of the cases they were people that i was sent to by portenos who thought i had something to offer. i still would like to help but really question whether there are many ways to open up some of the minds here.

that last post doesnt mean we should give up. it just shows its not easy even when you want to give or help. one project i still have in my system is fixing the sidewalks. each building is responsible for its sidewalk and technically you cant fix someone elses. but i got a guy on my block. i paid him 25 dollars probably way more than necessary but in the middle of the night he patched the whole darn block. now the old lady next door wont trip. i wont fall except after liberal nite thursdays. its a small thing but its able to be done do it and move on.

Back