How much would you pay for this apartment?

Ah got it - learned something new thanks.

And if Detective Steve;) has found the place - notice they have a price of $2900 from a rental agency. If you're renting direct from the owner, you should get it for less than that. So that should give you a good starting point for negotiations.

citygirl said:
Ah got it - learned something new thanks.

And if Detective Steve;) has found the place - notice they have a price of $2900 from a rental agency. If you're renting direct from the owner, you should get it for less than that. So that should give you a good starting point for negotiations.

That's just my thinking. Is $2000 TOO low to offer as an "opening bid?"

To add to my confusion, another agency listing the same apartment (I emailed them before I realized it was the same apartment!) contacted me and said it's not available until January - the owner told me yesterday it's available as of Nov 1!

steveinbsas said:
I think BAwithkids is specifically looking for a three bedroom apartment in Belgrano because she wants three bedrooms and will be teaching in Belgrano.:)

Thanks, I was just offering a comparison not suggesting they go to PM. The point beign that a comparable unit with more sqm in the priciest hood in Capital will run the same $, thus Belgrano should be less expensive. Anyways, the actual apartment I was describing is technically a 3br, but that 3rd is a small dependencia with full bathroom, so I listed it as 2br.

@BAWithKids, good luck with your search! :)

If they're asking 2900, I would think 2500 is a reasonable starting offer & probably would expect to pay somewhere around 2700

And wait - did you say November? As in 8 months from now?? :eek: Woah.. if that is the case, all bets are off. I doubt any landlord is going to be willing to lock in a price that far in advance (again, land of 30% inflation).

And I certainly wouldn't be putting down a deposit 8 months in advance, especially direct to an owner.

BAwithkids said:
That's just my thinking. Is $2000 TOO low to offer as an "opening bid?"

To add to my confusion, another agency listing the same apartment (I emailed them before I realized it was the same apartment!) contacted me and said it's not available until January - the owner told me yesterday it's available as of Nov 1!

By all means, continue negotiations with the owner but I think $2000 is way to low to offer. I wouldn't recommend doing so. Even $2500 sounds too low. "As a seller (twice) I never received even one low ball offer. In fact, I accepted the first offer in both cases (within 5% of the asking price).

I suggest you tell the owner that you saw it on line for $2900 and simply ask (in the next sentence) if that is his ultimo precio (without challenging him in any way). Don't hesitate to use the term but don't say too much. Just wait for his response. If you want to tell him $2700 is all you have to spend you can try. If he accepts then you might want to think about what citygirl just posted.

So, for those of you who were kind enough to help me out earlier on this apartment, I'd love your thoughts now. I had someone in BA see the apartment, which he said was nice, and he also suggested we offer 20-30% below the asking price (I think he talked with the owner and got the sense that would be acceptable). So, we offered $2400 a month beginning in November, with a six month lease (us paying the first three months up front), and then we would negotiate for the following months. The landlord came back saying:

"it would be good for us if you can pay $ 2600 a month. About how to pay, I offer to pay only two months in advance, and then monthly. The contract shall be in accordance with the rent and it will be updated monthly with each payment."

My husband interpreted this as his saying that he would give us a two month contract, and then a new contract every month - during which he could increase the rent each month. Would this be your interpretation? Suggestions?

Thanks!

BAwithkids said:
"it would be good for us if you can pay $ 2600 a month. About how to pay, I offer to pay only two months in advance, and then monthly. The contract shall be in accordance with the rent and it will be updated monthly with each payment."

My husband interpreted this as his saying that he would give us a two month contract, and then a new contract every month - during which he could increase the rent each month. Would this be your interpretation? Suggestions?

That sounds like he only wants to give you a 2 month contract and then go month-to-month. I would push for a 6 month contract with a fixed price of U$S 2500/month and two months up front (6 months is the legal limit for a rental agreement with foreigners). You would not want him upping the rent on the third month.

us dollars right? I agrree with philip dt 10,500 pesos should be ok and you could be find offering him 8,000 to end in 8,500/9,000
;)

Back