How much would you pay for this apartment?

This thread got a little off-track, but I'll choose to pass on the more "colorful" aspects of it. :)

2GuysInPM said:
@BAwithkids, I don't know the Belgrano R area, but USD $3300 seems high to me. Specially when it is missing furnishings and dish/washer/dryer.

For comparison, that price could get you a same size modern 2br apartment in PM on a high-rise (15th floor+) with great city or river views and all the furnishings and missing items you list. It would also have 24/7 security, and amenities (gym, pool, play areas for kids, parking, etc.)

Actually, it's fully furnished, has a washer (no dryer), and a dishwasher. And we need three full bedrooms (not 2+ a dependencia). So, from what you're saying, this sounds like it's not that crazy. I know PM is supposed to be lovely, but for various reasons Belgrano makes much more sense for us.

We won't rent it at the price being asked - much too rich for our blood - but we are willing to pay a fair amount to be in a place that may be safer for our children, close to their schools and work, and with amenities that may help make a difficult transition a little easier. I realize that no place is safe, but am I right in thinking that this area is one of the safer in BA?

And I don't like being part of the problem of foreigners driving up rents (nor do we have tons of money to burn), but when it comes to my kids, I have to do what I can...

To the OP - the apt prices I posted are in an equally nice section of town (at 2100 to 2400). However as I mentioned, it sounds like this apt is a higher floor and has more amenities so a higher price would be justified. Not however that much more.

I would start off offering around 2600 certainly wouldn't pay anymore than 3000.

You do have some degree of negotiating power as there aren't that many people who will want an apt of that size for that length of time and can afford to pay for a furnished apt.

citygirl said:
To the OP - the apt prices I posted are in an equally nice section of town (at 2100 to 2400). However as I mentioned, it sounds like this apt is a higher floor and has more amenities so a higher price would be justified. Not however that much more.

I would start off offering around 2600 certainly wouldn't pay anymore than 3000.

You do have some degree of negotiating power as there aren't that many people who will want an apt of that size for that length of time and can afford to pay for a furnished apt.
I agree with you, also most expats will not choose this area to live in, and the most desirable RE properties in Belgrano R are houses not apartments.

marksoc said:
It is an appartment for rich people, in a rich area, so they can ask whatever they want. No middle-class argentinian will never be ever seen close to such deals. They know that you want those kind of ammenities, so they ask for more. For the same money in the rest of the city you can rent your own small building (six appartments at USD 500 each). Five hundred meters from there and you can rent a big appartment for less, do you really need a new building with swimming pool?

(The reason I worte this is because I don´t like that foreigners are ripped off in my country, and because if you accept you are driving up the prices for everybody else).

If she wanted a similar apartment and had a garantia, could sign a 2-year lease, took it unfurnished and paid for utilities and her own maid, she might get something similar for U$S 2000 or so. Since she can do none of these, the prices are a bit higher. (Look on zonaprop.com.ar and see what the 2-year rates are here...)

This is the law of supply and demand. Different people have different means and requirements for their living. I think the price could be 10% lower, but she is not getting "ripped off."

BAwithkids said:
We won't rent it at the price being asked - much too rich for our blood - but we are willing to pay a fair amount to be in a place that may be safer for our children, close to their schools and work, and with amenities that may help make a difficult transition a little easier. I realize that no place is safe, but am I right in thinking that this area is one of the safer in BA?

And I don't like being part of the problem of foreigners driving up rents (nor do we have tons of money to burn), but when it comes to my kids, I have to do what I can...

The neighborhood is great - very family-friendly and safe. Having 24-hour security was a requirement for us in our apartment search. The pool and gym are nice amenities to have as well.

You're not a foreigner driving up rents. This is clearly a temporary rental and as you do not have the garantia and are not signing a 2-year lease, you'll pay a bit more.

You mention "pictures of the furniture". Are you here or there? I hope that you´re not planning to rent an apartment in BA without seeing it!!!!!

One thing, though --- Conesa & Echeverria is not exactly Belgrano R.... It might be in some map, but the real Belgrano R starts on the other side of the tracks - on Freire/Zapiola (the tracks go alongside Zapiola and Freire ). The area is pretty nevertheless, but does not have that "100% Belgrano R feel"

I would not pay more than US$2,000 and only if it is in the only high-end building I remember seeing on Conesa....

nativexpat said:
One thing, though --- Conesa & Echeverria is not exactly Belgrano R.... It might be in some map, but the real Belgrano R starts on the other side of the tracks - on Freire/Zapiola (depending where you are). The area is pretty nevertheless, but does not have that "100% Belgrano R feel"

I would not pay more than US$2,000 and only if it is in the only high-end building I remember seeing on Conesa....

Does anyone else know this area well? Is Conesa and Echeverria a very nice block? I don't care so much about it being in the "real" Belgrano R, but do care about the block...

It seems to be a high-end building - 20 floors, nice looking pool. What could I ask the owner to find out more about the building?

Echeverria is a pretty common street on that side of the tracks... but there is a nice block in Conesa (between Echeverria and Sucre I believe) and that might be the one with the nice building I have seen so many times.... it has to be... not so many tall buildings with pool in that area... the nice block I am talking about has a big old house in the corner with some garden - it is a retirement home... I just cannot remember now... jeez! My parents live nearby and I visit every weekend - I don't know if I'll be able to do so this weekend coming up, but if I do, I'll make sure to take a look.

Back