I Went To See A Band...

Weds in January, Tomi Lebrero is playing at Cafe Vinilo- so next weds he will be there again.
He is not a half bad bandaneon player, his band is very good, especially his new violin player and his old guitar player. He does neo-folk, with an ironic twist, he goes full rock and roll, he even does some punk rock.
Vinilo is a very nice club- small, with tables and waiters, not expensive, a great place to see a band.
Usually they have more serious folk and jazz stuff- Lebrero is very tongue in cheek, funny and entertaining.
I was there on Weds, it was great.

Friday night, we went to Konex to see Juana Molina.
I have seen her a lot of times over the years, and she just gets better and better.
When she first quit doing TV, she wanted complete control over her work, as opposed to the dozens of people involved in doing sketch comedy, so she was performing everything herself, laying down multiple tracks of her own vocals, keyboards, and guitars. As she got more famous, and toured more, she started playing with other musicians- usually a drummer and a bass/keys/guitar player.
Now, after ten years, she is supremely confident, and you dont even notice her laying down the backing vocals, looping the rythym guitar, fading tracks in and out- all the while, singing the leads, playing lead guitar, and cueing the other band members.
Really fun to watch- most musicians have a hard enough time just strumming an acoustic while singing. She is basically playing 4 parts, mixing, and editing, in real time.
She plays guitar a lot almost as a percussion instrument, and often really pushes her songs way out there. She obviously started, ten years ago, thinking about old rounds of folk singing, Moondog, Phillip Glass, and other basic looped and repeated song forms, but she has come a long way.
Several times last night, she had all 1000 plus people at Konex dancing wildly.

Here she is in April, so pretty similar to what she did last night- same band members, same songs. Better sound quality, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcrCSDQKII

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrQeRkpn6WU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prjY0MRQ500

Monareta, Colombian Techno. Camilo Sanabria, keyboards, one of the co-founders was in town last week directing the sound track for a new movie. He's my wife's cousin..

Another Tuesday, Another La Grande at Santos Dumont 4040.
Amazing, as always.
now featuring the brother of the keyboard player, Cesar Frenov, on six string bass.
2 different female vocalists sat in.
Probably 5 different drummers sat in at one point or another.
gaby kerpel on synths for a few songs.
Kabusacki came back, and ripped it up on guitar.
A pair of fifty something rock nacional guys sat in for a couple of songs, I dont know who they were, but they were fierce.
2 more guest vocalists- one a kind of scat singing rapper, another more jazz/brazilian hip hop- both were pretty good.
couple guest horn players.

at one point, I counted 14 people on stage.
I think if you go every tuesday night, you can see most of the movers and shakers on the local music scene sit in at one point or another.
Should go on for at least another month of tuesdays.

On Friday, we went to see Tonolec at Konex.
I have been a Tonolec fan since their first album, but I have to say, I wasnt overwhelmed.
However, I was pretty much the only one there who wasnt, so, you probably shouldnt listen to me.

Charo was looking fabulous as always, wearing some sort of couture Wonder Woman Aztec Princess outfit, with 4 feet of braid. If it wasnt a fall, then her hair must be about 7 feet long now.

She has obviously been taking intensive voice lessons- where the first tonolec album, from way back in 2005, showcases her amazing voice and incredible range, now, she sings every phrase with vibrato, every R is rolled, every note is ennunciated within an inch of its life. The entire show, she sounded like she was auditioning for Teatro Colon- it was very over the top- but she can really sing, so it kind of works, in a baroque operatic kind of way.

She is the granddaughter of a Gurani chief, and she sings a lot in Gurani.
Live, they are stripped down to a three piece- a great percussionist, and her partner in the band, Diego Perez, who plays various guitars, keys, and synths, along with having laid down a lot of prerecorded backing tracks.
The sound is big, the stage set was very dramatic, with dozens and dozens of freshly cut branches and leaves and grasses, making the entire stage a jungle.

I would recommend seeing them live, its quite a show.
Me, I will stick to the albums, as I think they are more spontaneous, and less scripted, but hey, nobody, not even my wife, agrees with me.

Here is a cut from the new album- more stripped down, folkloric, and less electro than their earlier work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-eukxuRjU

What a nice sound! Her voice is clear, sure, and confident. I don't always like the quality of female vocals in Argentina, as they can be shrill and screechy. Not so with her. Thanks!

The Tonolec albums are all great, every time I play one in the states, everybody who hears them likes them.

Tuesday again.
La Grande at Santos 4040.
Incredible.

Thursday I went to see Loli Molina solo at Lado B of Niceto.
Lado B is the tiny closet they peeled off the backstage area- and it has paper thin walls, meaning you can feel the band in Lado A. Not the best place to see music.

But Loli persevered, playing her acoustic guitar and singing. She has a great voice, and a pretty percussive, fingerpicking style. She has been playing guitar since she was six, and does more than just strum 3 chords- she plays electric guitar with La Grande, where she is playing jazz/fusion/funk/cumbia/afrocuban styles.

This is a recent show of hers in Rio Cuarto, Cordoba- its pretty indicative of the way she played last night.
She cut her last CD with the legendary Tweety Gonzales producing- he was the unofficial fourth member of Soda Stereo, on teclados.
She said last night that today was her last day in the studio working on her new CD.
She played tuesday, and, again, this saturday, with La Grande. (midnight, mas o menos, at Matienzo)
three gigs in one week, plus in the studio.
Hard working musician.

https://www.youtube....h?v=enVzXE1oVtE

Back