I Went To See A Band...

Ries, what time do you recommend arriving at the Museo de Bellas Artes for the first Thursday concerts?

I would go right at the opening time- or a few minutes before. This varies, depending on season. I think its probably going to 19 hours (7pm) for the next few months, but last summer, it was a bit later.
We had no problem, arriving at ten minutes to seven, but by 8, there was a huge line, and they would only allow people in when someone left, as the artwork is valuable and fragile.

also- they are LAST thursdays of the month, not first.

Hey Ries, any recommendations for June and July? I'll be back in BsAs next week!

I would go right at the opening time- or a few minutes before. This varies, depending on season. I think its probably going to 19 hours (7pm) for the next few months, but last summer, it was a bit later.
We had no problem, arriving at ten minutes to seven, but by 8, there was a huge line, and they would only allow people in when someone left, as the artwork is valuable and fragile.

also- they are LAST thursdays of the month, not first.

Thanks! Sounds very interesting.

Its quite a job figuring out who is playing, where.
I use VuenosAires, which is probably the best maintained site, but its still pretty hit or miss. It tends to cover the foreign bands the best.
My personal preference, when in Argentina, is to see Argentine music. I am less interested in 20 year old english or american bands.

To really keep up, I frequently scan the facebook pages of a bunch of bands I like, and see where they are playing, and who they like- which takes time and research.

There are a few reliable places, though, that I always check.

For instance-
Thelonius, which is an adult, jazz club, often has interesting acts on the edge of jazz, and almost always has good mainstream jazz.
Oreja Negra, in Palermo Soho, is a nice club that I check frequently, to see if I am interested in who is playing there.
Cafe Vinilo, just over Scalabrini from Soho, is another tasteful, adult place where you can sit at a table, have a drink, and see a band. Usually jazz and folk.
Niceto, on Niceto Vega, is the big rock club, lots of cumbia and electronic, too. Several bars, louder and crazier, but when the right band is there, I go.
CC Matienzo is the place the kids go- its cheap, and you only pay to go in the actual performance space- the other three floors, with two bars, food, and lots of little rooms to hang in, including art shows, are free. Its not expensive, and often there is an early show, at maybe 9 or 10, and then a main show that usually starts at 1 or later, and runs til 4 am minimum. Great, edgy, goofy bands play there, its quite the scene.
Sometimes, there is a little club called La Playita, on Federico LaCroze, near the station- its in a house, very intimate, usually acoustic cumbia, folk, and some jazz. cheap, cool, and hard to find, but only open in the summer, usually.

These are my main go-tos, but there are often pop up events all over town- again, it takes sleuthing to find em.

yes, Notorious is often good. I dont like the fact that they really push food and drink, there, though- you feel like you MUST order something. But when the right band is playing, its very nice.

On tuesday, once again, I went to LaGrande- and I still recommend this to any music lover- its such a unique scene. It was the 8th month of tuesdays there, which is pretty amazing- the core, 8 piece band, has, with only a few missed dates, played every tuesday since last october.
Its such a comfortable place- no pressure to buy drinks, only 40 pesos to get in, lots of places to sit, or play ping pong or foosball.

The second set peaked with a 20 minute jam with 16 musicians on stage, who, between them, have probably been in 50 bands and put out at least 100 albums. Improvising, yet being directed by Vazquez. Its was pretty cool to see some of these guys, who have many years experience and multiple CDs under the belts, break out in shit eating grins at various points, just amazed, themselves, at where the music was going, and how.

No tourists- usually about half the audience is other musicians, the creme de la creme of the rock, jazz, and alternative scenes here.

Santos Dumont,4040, every tuesday at about 8.

I am not sure if I am going to make it, but, tonight, at seven, there will be a free concert at the new Centro Cultural Nestor Kirchner-
http://www.culturalkirchner.gob.ar/agenda/articulo/route/default/idx/5.html
sofia viola and franny glass.

The CCK is in the old Correo, down below the Casa Rosada.
All the shows are free.
There is music, ranging from classical to folk to jazz, most days now.
The Salas are amazing- the Ballena Azul, the main symphony hall, is stunning, and acoustically perfect, and brand new.
The building itself is far from done, but they are hosting several free concerts every day in various halls.

Are there any blues groups/venues in BsAs?

Thanks, Bob

Back