Immigration For Dummies

Only on paper ( its 3 years). In reality it can take 5-6 years

Thanks for adding this, ceviche, I'll make sure Tres Picos is aware off this as he was seeking an "easy route" to citizenship in Argentina or Paraguay and may have believed it was possible to "buy" citizenship in six months for $5200.

I vaguely remember than someone was arrested in Paraguay for "selling" Paraguayan passports for about 5K (could have been closer to 10K) USD a few years ago. I might have seen an advertisement for the Paraguayan passports on Jeff Berwick's The Dollar Vigilante website,

It could have been on Doug Casey's site as well. For many years Doug and Jeff have both been advocates of having at least two passports. I haven't visited either site in several years. I found both sites about four years ago when I did a google search with the question, "Is there a Galt's Gulch in Argentina?"

Steve in Buenos Aires -

I think the most easy route was the one we had here in Argentina pre 2016, where one could come here as a tourist - stay for 1 year and apply for citizenship without a DNI.

So many people took advantage of it and I guess it was the best ever deal, anywhere on the planet.

---

I even think with these crazy new laws, they may even strip people of citizenships for "allegedly" committing a small "crime". Lets see what happens.

Steve in Buenos Aires -

I think the most easy route was the one we had here in Argentina pre 2016, where one could come here as a tourist - stay for 1 year and apply for citizenship without a DNI.

So many people took advantage of it and I guess it was the best ever deal, anywhere on the planet.

---

I even think with these crazy new laws, they may even strip people of citizenships for "allegedly" committing a small "crime". Lets see what happens.
I was thinking about this earlier as I wrote about mc kenna's story. One thing perhaps I should add to my story is that I already knew most of the local police and they all know who I am.

The officer who was on duty in the comiseria when I was attacked is one of my whatsapp contacts and she and another officer arrived at the scene in less than five minuets. The perp was arrested three days later.

No one ever doubted my version of the story. They knew who the perp was and so did I! He had actually come to my house the day before asking for drinking water to take back to the nearby brick factory, He even told me his name!

When I asked what I could do to defend myself if something like this ever happened again I was told I should do "whatever is necessary" (including lethal forcer if the assault took place at night inside my home)

I don't expect it to happen again. The perp was the local meth-head and had already been disowned by his parents..who are very nice people, live on a quinta I can see from the second floor of my house, and never said anything to me about the incident.

PS: In the days that followed the incident (aka three counts of aggravated assault), I sensed an increase in the level of "respect" of the locals. It isn't everyday that a sixty-six year old man stands up to the local twenty year punk...and wins.

Interesting and sad meth got him no rehabs there I am basically sure his life is over he just does not know it yet. OK lets stay on topic.

Interesting and sad meth got him no rehabs there I am basically sure his life is over he just does not know it yet. OK lets stay on topic.

The point of bringing the story about the attack in this topic is that it is possible to defend yourself in Argentina and not fear prosecution or deportation. However, (if I understand correctly from Dr Rubilar's posts) Argentine citizenship granted to a foreigner can be revoked for the omission of a crime, and with the new decree, the crime might not have to be all that serious.

Not so long ago citygirl wrote that her friends at migraciones laughed at the thought that Americans and Europeans were afraid of being the target of the "long awaited crackdown on permatourists" (those without legal residency).

Now we are wondering if even those of us with legal residency could find ourselves at risk. If we are, any of us with a minor "criminal" history would have genuine cause to be even more concerned.

I would not want to be "afraid" to defend myself if I became the target of another criminal attack (however unlikely that might be).

PS: If (or when) that happens, there won't be nearly as much immigration in Argentina,

Perhaps (as Dr, Rubilar seems to suggest) that's the goal of the decree, If the goal is to stop immigration of one or more targeted groups it would be nice to know if any of us are among them.

However, (if I understand correctly from Dr Rubilar's posts) Argentine citizenship granted to a foreigner can be revoked for the omission of a crime, and with the new decree, the crime might not have to be all that serious.

Dr Rubiliar, please confirm?

Thank you

[background=transparent]
[/background]
Citizenship For Sale[background=transparent]: (outrageous? ... yet true )[/background]
[background=transparent]Please notice that Residency Category [/background][background=transparent]#2.5[/background][background=transparent](Investor), ... for all practical purposes and intents could be viewed simply as "Buying your way to Citizenship"..[/background]
[background=transparent]
[/background]
[background=transparent]
[/background]
[background=transparent]I'll make sure Tres Picos is aware off this as he was seeking an "easy route" to citizenship in Argentina or Paraguay and may have believed it was possible to "buy" citizenship in six months for $5200.[/background]
[background=transparent]I vaguely remember than someone was arrested in Paraguay for "selling" Paraguayan passports for about 5K[/background]
[background=transparent]
[/background][background=transparent]This post was never meant to address people who "buy" or "sell" passports or drugs or ...... any weird illegal things[/background]

[background=transparent]It is just a "LIST" of price and requirements nothing more (it does not address any specifics, procedures, etc)[/background]

[background=transparent]The goal of the whole thread was to demystify and make it a public knowledge, and to eliminate the middle man/woman 2nd hand distorted interpretation and opinions. [/background][background=transparent]If you can do your own personal taxes you can do your own immigration ... (myself did not know that for 8 years at the time) [/background]

[background=transparent]Do it yourself or go pro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/background]

[/size][/color]
[background=transparent]This post was never meant to address people who "buy" or "sell" passports or drugs or ...... any weird illegal things[/background]

[background=transparent]It is just a "LIST" of price and requirements nothing more (it does not address any specifics, procedures, etc)[/background]

The point I wanted to make is that Tres Picos may have seen the original list that (at the top) indicated Paraguayan citizenship could be acquired in six months time a cost of $5200. He has already "almost decided" to move to Paraguay because it was easier (to get citizenship) there.

Yesterday someone posted that by law it would take at least three years and perhaps up ten times longer than the original time indicated (six months).

My comment about someone being arrested for "selling" Paraguayan passports has nothing to do with your motives for posting the information. I was not accusing you of anything. I sincerely appreciate and applaud your efforts in creating and updating the this thread.

Here is a great article detailing the requisites and procedure for getting citizenship (and hence a passport) in Paraguay. It includes details off the passport scam as well as the fact that it is necessary to open a bank account with a deposit of $5000 that cannot be touched until residency is approved.

It does not indicate that citizenship "costs" $5000 (or $5200).

Thia was published to the web on June 14, 2014:

https://globalwealth...guay-good-true/

From the article:

"Let me share with you the real process for acquiring Paraguayan citizenship and that elusive second passport.

Step 1. You need to acquire a certified copy of your birth certificate with an apostille from your home country.

Step 2. You need to acquire a police report (or FBI report if American) from every country you have lived in for the past 3 years. You will also need to have that provided with an apostille from the country that issued the police report or FBI report.

Step 3. You will need to appear at the nearest Paraguayan embassy to have the documents from step 1 and 2 legalized for Paraguay.

Step 4. You will need to acquire a Paraguayan visa (if required, based on your citizenship).

Step 5. You will need to open a bank account at a government approved bank with a minimum of $5,000USD
deposit. This money cannot be touched until your residency application is approved.

Step 6. You will need to appear in Asuncion for a litany of meetings, notary stamps, health certificates, signatures, etc. (No need to go into detail because you will need to hire someone to facilitate this process since it is virtually impossible to figure out on your own).

Step 7. You wait. This can be anywhere from 3-6 months depending on the government officials’ mood, weather, planetary alignment, or religious festivals. Once approved, you will receive your residence permit.

Step 8. With residence permit in hand, you apply for your id card (cedula). This can take another 1-2 months to produce. You may also get your Paraguayan driver license good for 5 years once you have the cedula.

Step 9. Now you wait again. Three years from the date of issue of your residence permit, you can apply for citizenship. Again, this is a process that necessitates a professional as there are many steps to take in Asuncion.
Step 10. After 6-12 months your citizenship will be approved (barring any issues) making you a Paraguayan citizen. All-in this process takes 4-4.5 years. You do not need to live in Paraguay. You will need to visit Paraguay 2-4 times, depending on a few variables."

Here is more information about the Paraguayan passport "scam" that was publish to the web ten days later:

https://www.nestmann...-bites-the-dust

Not to clutter this thread .... Scams and other unrelated topics appropriately belong to separate threads.
I`m sure you would agree.

Back