Insecurity Here is Real

The "1/4 turn" is a good idea for a solid door or such as for an apartment but not so good for a door that has glass. I have old 13 ft. doors with glass and the metal bars that go in the floor. Unfortunately I did not engage the bars in the day time, (will now.) Sort of hard to keep up with that system when you just want to walk next door to buy some eggs. May as well put on my bullet proof vest too.

I've been robbed in Recoleta which I consider an easy target served by many public parks and villa 31 to ease the mugging industry; but I -simply- know the kind of thing you had the misfortune to experience, intrusion into your home, just don't happen in the informal "good" side of the city (NE, Corredor Norte) with some notable and indeed publicized exceptions as it stretches north into Belgrano Nuñez and obviously provincia.

My sympathies. I'm sure you loved the architecture/price ratio there.

I hope you don't condemn the entire country. I feel much safer away from the Capital (near Bahia Blanca), and I'm as happy as everyone else that no one was physically harmed today.
Yes, Buenos Aires was never a good place to raise children. It is too loud, too chaotic and unsafe (some years ago not so much due to crime but to the transit, etc).
In the provinces life quality is much better and children have a lot more fun, as there are mountains, forests, lakes and rivers to swim, etc.
Violent crime is not very likely there.
I am sorry for that what happened to you.

How absolutely terrifying - I'm truly sorry that happened to you. Very thankful you, your wife and child were unharmed during the process. I can't even imagine the trauma you all went through. Sending you lots of virtual hugs.

Matt84 said:
I -simply- know the kind of thing you had the misfortune to experience, intrusion into your home, just don't happen in the informal "good" side of the city (NE, Corredor Norte)

I'm sorry but that is a bit of a naive thing to say. These types of things happen everywhere in the city and in GBA. Obviously, certain areas are nicer than others and extra precautions can be taken to try to avoid such situations, but it all comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When I first moved here, I'd ask locals where the safest areas were to live and everyone would just laugh and say there is no such thing as a truly safe area here. Now, after having lived here for longer than I'd like to admit, I couldn't agree more.

To say that what happened to ptolemy doesn't happen in the zona norte is misleading. I know people who have been robbed and even taken hostage of in their own homes in places like San Isidro, Martinez, Vincente Lopez and Nordelta.

And don't kid yourself - stuff does happen in the interior of the country too (although less frequently if you are away from the bigger cities). My mother-in-law was robbed, severely beaten and almost raped in her store in a very nice part of San Luis a couple years back.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Ptolemy - I am really very, very sorry to hear about what you and your family went through.

Actually, the nicer neighborhoods are sometimes the best targets for the robbers...

Guillo said:
Actually, the nicer neighborhoods are sometimes the best targets for the robbers...

Exactly. They go where the money is.

Counseling may help to deal with the trauma of having been robbed at gun point but it won't change the high crime reality of BA. For some people who have options, leaving may be the best course of action.

Sorry to say that there is crime all over the country. The Province of BA is actually worse than the city. People who live in well guarded gated communities have crime. Sometimes the security personnel are behind the crime, just as the police are sometimes responsible for crime directly or indirectly.

There is crime in small towns all over Argentina. Towns in the province of BA are far from an exception. I know people who own homes there and they have been victims.

When I first arrived in BA during the Menem years it was remarkably safe compared to now. Since then I have seen rapid deterioration, if not degradation, in most areas of the society. It is sad.

The Kirchner governments have pointed the finger at the US, Britain or some other imaginary enemy to take attention away from the pathetic reality that they have created: a country of uncontrolled crime, enormous corruption, inferior education, social deprivation and injustice. As the population get more and more ignorant due to poor education and poverty, they are more susceptible to the Kirchner propaganda machine. Just look at the nonsense going on over the US Army's cargo plane! What sane government would make a major diplomatic issue out of a non-issue -- and with a country as important as the US?

I agree that Argentina is a very poor environment in which to raise children but not just from the perspective of crime. Children need a better moral environment. They need to learn about ethics and humane values and not how to get around the system, how to cheat, lie and take advantage without any concern for your neighbors or society at large. They should also grow up in a political system that respects the law and protects the rights of its citizens.

There is no ideal society but some are better than others and Argentina has been fast sliding into oblivion under the Kirchners.

Back