International Post

Lol, all you people crying about three weeks to get a parcel... LUXURY! We've been here since September. On October 1, my kids' dad sent them some hallowe'en cards. They arrived... January 28! Now we just ask people we know are visiting from Canada or the US to pick us up a few things we want/need and bring them in person. Even if we have to wait a month or two, it's far more reliable than the mail. (Oh, and we also sent some postcards from Argentina to Canada. That was in November. No one back home's rec'd them yet.)

Just got back from Correo in Retiro.

My package? Oh, silly me thinking 42 days was long enough... It's still being sorted they said and I'll get a notice
when it arrives so I can come back!

On the bright side, my friend from Germany who I went with had his dad send him 22 lbs worth of his clothes and
jackets, it arrived without issue but was via EMS.

They just looked at it and didn't make him pay anything, just the fee for "storage".
(Which he did at the window as soon as you enter).

I will update you all whenever I try again/give up!

Before I found out how badly everything works and how much everything costs in BA I had the manufacturers of Astroglide ship a dozen large bottles to me via one of the big freight companies. That much cost $100 US. Not bad. Then I got the aduana notice telling me to pick it up at Ezeiza. I called and they told me it would cost $100 more to liberate it. I couldn't bring myself to pay the ransom. Somewhere some aduanistas are having the best sex of their lives with my hostage lubricants.

If someone sends me a package via DHL or UPS from Europe to Argentina, do I still have to go to Retiro and bribe people/pick it up or are packages from these parcel services directly delivered to your door?

Just got back from Correo in Retiro.

My package? Oh, silly me thinking 42 days was long enough... It's still being sorted they said and I'll get a notice
when it arrives so I can come back!

On the bright side, my friend from Germany who I went with had his dad send him 22 lbs worth of his clothes and
jackets, it arrived without issue but was via EMS.

They just looked at it and didn't make him pay anything, just the fee for "storage".
(Which he did at the window as soon as you enter).

I will update you all whenever I try again/give up!
They told me the same thing today, "its being processed".

What are you guys talking about? I've never had any problem getting things in the mail here in Argentina. Follow these directions:

1. Order your items online.
2. Mail your items to a hotel near the Miami airport.
3. Buy Round-trip ticket to MIA.
4. Fly to MIA.
5. Check into hotel.
6. Pick up your package.
7. Put purchased items into duffle bag.
8. Check out of hotel.
9. Fly back to Buenos Aires.

And people say Argentina is the 3rd world. Ppfft! How hard is that?

:)

Ok so I finally picked up my package 2 days ago and had the worst experience, I ended up in front of probably the biggest A-Hole inspector at Correo, I was receiving the usual, a 10kg box of clothes,shoes,baby supplies for my son etc. sent from my family not an online purchase, this guy tried to tell me that I must pay 900 pesos for I don't know what the hell type calculations he made in his computer, so I tried telling him that Ive always paid about 100 to 150 pesos for my packages of the same type of stuff AFTER the new Correo rules and regulations, this guy short and simple told me that I either pay or he's sending my box back to the US, so I called some of the other inspectors next to him that have helped me in the past and they all said that I was right and this guy still said 900 pesos, after a long argument and calling his boss/manager he brought it down to 255 pesos and I paid and left PISSED OFF as hell.

Excellent BigAl, well done!
My sunglasses are in BA somewhere according to the tracking numbers, so I phoned the helpline and was told that they are still classifying them.
How difficult is it to do that?
I was then told that I can't do anything until I get the advice note through the post.
I'll report back here next Christmas.

Classifying = A guy is shouting "Rayban sunglasses, starting offer is 50 pesos, do I hear more?". The process then depends on the outcome of the bidding process: if its too low, you can pick it up and bribe Senor correo to get your package, otherwise you'll get a notice that your package is unfortunately lost...

Back