International Post

I think things have been disappearing through regular mail over the last 6 months, much more so than in the past. I had 2 purchases in 2013 from aliexpress that just disappeared. Now with the new regulations from a month ago, it has gotten worse I think. I've had two more online purchases shipped in Jan that disappeared. Supposedly there is a tax of 50% on anything worth 25 dollars or more, plus you are only allowed 2 purchases a year from sites like aliexpress, amazon, ebay, etc (books and medicines supposedly excepted).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/noticias/2014/01/140122_argentina_restricciones_compras_online_divisas_irm.shtml

Also it seems like you have to now go and pick the packages up at customs and sign some type of legal document:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/ultimas_noticias/2014/01/140121_ultnot_argentina_restricciones_en_linea_jgc.shtml

I'm not even getting the notices that the packages have arrived, they just disappear. The only things I've gotten in the past 6 months without a problem are books.

I don't know what rules apply if the product is sent person to person. Actually I don't know how you can tell if a product comes from aliexpress or ebay, it looks like person to person I think. It's a mess.

resolution 3579: http://forobeta.com/fuera-de-tema/251762-argentina-compras-via-internet-habra-que-presentar-declaracion-jurada.html

Supposedly customs was in a state of collapse at the end of 2013 mostly due to massive quantities of purchases from online sites in China like dx.com, pandawill, aliexpress and focalprice. I think you're less likely to receive a package coming from China, from my experience.

http://www.cadena3.com/contenido/2013/11/01/121038.asp.

I just got a notification for a package sent from Holland a month ago. It is 0,350 kg and I thank God that I have flexible hours, that I live relatively close and that my husband is on vacation.... Receiving a small package should not be that difficult, shouldn't it?

Oh, I also have to fill out an AFIP form first - and of course, the page is not working.

These are the times when I hate everyone who has voted K... idiots! (I don't feel too proud of myself for saying this, but I have to ^_^ )

But are these just letter post or parcels. I find that anything like A4 size papers takes a few weeks but anything substantial takes much longer.
10 kg boxes, household items,clothes srirachi chili sauce etc...

I just got a notification for a package sent from Holland a month ago. It is 0,350 kg and I thank God that I have flexible hours, that I live relatively close and that my husband is on vacation.... Receiving a small package should not be that difficult, shouldn't it?

Oh, I also have to fill out an AFIP form first - and of course, the page is not working.

These are the times when I hate everyone who has voted K... idiots! (I don't feel too proud of myself for saying this, but I have to ^_^ )
Once you go I would love to know if you can pay the 50% tax at aduana or if it has to be done online. Thanks

All of our packages have been sent regular post from the UK. No DHL, TNT etc so I'm unable to track packages.

I have received no notifications of any parcels and was wondering if you can turn up at Retiro with no notification and they can use some form of Computer Database with your DNI to see if there are any packages.

Another really frustrating factor about living in Argentina. These things start to wear you down sometimes..!

I receive packages from the US regularly via USPS, I always check the tracking number and once it gets to Argentina I wait 2 days and if the paper to pick up isnt delivered by correo I just head down to Retiro with my passport and tracking number and always pick up with no problem, last package being about a week ago, although they charged me (for the first time) 25 pesos and another 100 for I have no clue what since I dont speak castellano I just paid and left with my box.
when you picked up your package at retiro a week ago, you did not need to do the AFIP thing (forms etc.) with a foreign passport ? is the new AFIP rule for online purchases just for Argentine citizens and residents with DNI ?

It's averaging 3+ months for packages to arrive and lately they're not arriving at all. I've had multiple packages go missing. I did just receive one the other day that was sent in early November. It had been ripped opn and taped back together. It only contained socks so I guess they decided it wasn't worth stealing. The other package that have nicer things - never arrived nor will they.

I strongly advise against anything getting sent here besides paperwork/documents.

I am in Bariloche. Haven't received the box my mother sent for Christmas yet. It said it arrived into BA on December 3rd. It only arrived in Bariloche last week. My husband has been to the post office a few times inquiring about it. They told him they are about 4 months behind on packages and it'll be another while before I get slip for it because they have 100's of bags full of boxes to go through. It's crazy. Good luck to everyone.

All of our packages have been sent regular post from the UK. No DHL, TNT etc so I'm unable to track packages.

I have received no notifications of any parcels and was wondering if you can turn up at Retiro with no notification and they can use some form of Computer Database with your DNI to see if there are any packages.

Another really frustrating factor about living in Argentina. These things start to wear you down sometimes..!

We went along to a main correo office and gave them our names and address and they checked the computer and told us the packages were in AFIP. We waited about 3 weeks and then a postman delivered the cards to take for collection. Like I said ours took almost 3 months to arrive after being sent early dec. Reports were that the AFIP was overrun with people buying things from abroad and there was a huge backlog. Not surprised with the paper work they have to do , I noted they had written our the 14 digit tracking number 3 times on the same card , name and address twice, invest in a printer for godsake!

I would say though i`ve always had success if something is sent "signed for" about 3 small parcels that werent worth anything never arrived and those were standard parcel delivery, not tracked.

It is truly bonkers here, I remember ordering things in the UK from overseas. Theyd arrive at my doorstep usually in under a week, and if there was any import duty the postman would pull out a credit card scanner, swipe my card and that was it. Here its like something from the middle ages. So much aggravation.

when you picked up your package at retiro a week ago, you did not need to do the AFIP thing (forms etc.) with a foreign passport ? is the new AFIP rule for online purchases just for Argentine citizens and residents with DNI ?
No, I asked and the guard said no so I just when in when my number was called and picked up with my foregin passport.

Back