Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Traitor

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Neither Hero nor Traitor

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
He was a CIA operative that praised wars for their ability to land him a nice job:

Work yourself up to Europe.
Say, Department of State. They're understaffed right now, but Europe posts are competitive, but you can get in the door much easier if you express an interest in going to near-east hellholes. Once you're in, tough out the crappy tour and you should be able to pick from a list of preferred posts.

Alternately, get a clearance. If you're cleared, have a lifestyle, and have specialized IT skills, you can go anywhere in the world right now.

Thank god for wars.

The main reason he came out with this stuff was because he was upset about the invasion of privacy, domestically. Which is great, but I still can't consider him a hero, since he seems to take a fairly traditional, U.S. neocon view when it comes to foreign affairs.

Reactions: Joe
He was a CIA operative that praised wars for their ability to land him a nice job:

[/font][/color]

The main reason he came out with this stuff was because he was upset about the invasion of privacy, domestically. Which is great, but I still can't consider him a hero, since he seems to take a fairly traditional, U.S. neocon view when it comes to foreign affairs.
He hinted in the interview he revised his attitude on Iraq. I think a lot of Americans have revised their Neocon views in face of the Iraq and Afghanistan disasters. There seem to be a lack of support for another adventure in Syria. Of course once the government turns on the propaganda machine they can pretty much do anything they want. You can be sure they have uses all their resources to dig up any dirt there is on Snowden.

Of the tens of thousands of people that work in the security agencies only one came forward.

I believe Snowden is a true hero because he lost his career - lost his home - lost his country. Put himself in great personal danger to do what he believed is the right thing against a lot of harsh criticism. Very few people would have the idealism and strength of character to do that.

Another hero that rebelled against the security apparatus in East Germany is told in this movie. Highly recommended:

For me the most depressing part of this whole story was that there was a turning point in the press' treatment of the NSA revelations when the news broke about spying on Merkel. The first stories were about the US government spying on its own population and also those in other countries. And it was outrageous, but it elicited no response from the main stream media or the governments. But as soon as the news came out about bugging Merkel's phone, all hell broke loose.

Personally, I am not too offended that governments spy on each other. But the evidence that the people we have allegedly elected to serve us have turned those tools on the population at large was the key revelation from Snowden's trove. And it seems to have been swept under the rug, even here.

I assume they're spying on CFK and Merkel and Erdogan and Pena Nieto and the whole lot of them. But why is it only important to some people (especially the press) when it's the leaders who are compromised? The fact that the conversation here has turned to how this affects the Ruling Class instead of the rest of us is a major bummer.

What the NSA is doing to our population is a gross violation of the constitution and is clearly illegal. In that sense, Snowden did the right thing by blowing the whistle on such behavior. However, I'm not sure I would have gone about it like he did. It's hard to say though, because I don't think we have the whole picture of what his situation was like. If I was Snowden (which is impossible because there is no way I would ever work for the NSA), I would probably turn myself in in a very public manner. There is a good chance he could get off the hook as a large sector of the public supports him. It would make his cause look even more legitimate. I am glad someone called attention to this behavior though.

If Snowden had turned himself in, he would be renditioned to some dark dungeon somewhere and no one would know the extent to which the NSA has access to everything you do online, on your phone, everywhere. He would be tried in a secret trial of which you would hear NOTHING about. If he had made a public statement like "I have a lot of data about bad things the NSA is doing" then it wouldn't have even made it to the papers. It was only releasing the secret details that made it press worthy.

If I was Snowden (which is impossible because there is no way I would ever work for the NSA), I would probably turn myself in in a very public manner. There is a good chance he could get off the hook as a large sector of the public supports him. It would make his cause look even more legitimate.

That is naive to the nth degree. You think the US state cares a fig about "public support?" Or cares a fig about "legitimacy?"

That is naive to the nth degree. You think the US state cares a fig about "public support?" Or cares a fig about "legitimacy?"

If Snowden had turned himself in, he would be renditioned to some dark dungeon somewhere and no one would know the extent to which the NSA has access to everything you do online, on your phone, everywhere. He would be tried in a secret trial of which you would hear NOTHING about. If he had made a public statement like "I have a lot of data about bad things the NSA is doing" then it wouldn't have even made it to the papers. It was only releasing the secret details that made it press worthy.

Given Snowden's high profile, it would be extremely difficult to whisk him away without a trace.

Given Snowden's high profile, it would be extremely difficult to whisk him away without a trace.
He has a high profile NOW because he released documents. If he had given himself up as Tex suggests before he released any documents no one would have ever heard of him - or hear of him again.

As far as turning himself in now, first the government needs to at least guarantee a public trial. As it stands now he would be tried in secret via FISA - and never be heard of again.

He has a high profile NOW because he released documents. If he had given himself up as Tex suggests before he released any documents no one would have ever heard of him - or hear of him again.

As far as turning himself in now, first the government needs to at least guarantee a public trial. As it stands now he would be tried in secret via FISA - and never be heard of again.

Man, you really need to read my posts more carefully. I said I thought he should turn himself in now in a very public manner, not before!

Man, you really need to read my posts more carefully. I said I thought he should turn himself in now in a very public manner, not before!
Turn himself in now - so he can face secret trial? A trial more secret than your opinion on abortion.

Can he count on people like you to come out on the street and demand his release - and after a news blackout? No

And you thought Christ was crucified - you ain't seen nothing yet!

Mr. Snowden, Please don't sacrifice your freedom for people that don't even value their own!

Back