Is The Piropo A Dying Art ?

I agree with Jantango, as ive received overwhelmingly nice and non offensive piropos, both in the milongas and the streets. It's one of the things I love most about BsAs--that even an older woman can be appreciated by men all ages. The cruder remarks that I've received came invariably from men that were crude in their character..there are those kind in every country...

Seems like opinions are divided crude remarks are certainly a form of harassment. unwanted nice remarks are flattering to some ?
As pointed in the article by Operacion Respeto...?

As part of April’s International Anti-Street Harassment Week, women in Córdoba and Buenos Aireslaunched a campaign to fight street harassment. The activists of Acción Respeto covered the streets of those two major cities with fliers that read, “Ay hermosa, con esa boquita…”; “Te acompaño o te persigo?”; “Qué linda, te chuparía toda la conchita”; and other similarly vulgar or threatening phrases. The signs asked their viewers to think, “If reading it makes you uncomfortable, imagine hearing it.”

I've received many piropos from portenos in my 15 years in Buenos Aires, and not one of them was crude.

Women cringe when walking past a construction site in an American city because they expect a worker to yell a crude comment their way. That doesn't happen here in BsAs.

Some piropos are compliments when one says you have pretty eyes. When they're crude and they tell you what they'd like to do to you, or what they'd like to stick inside you, is just going too far and extremely offensive. The piropos many men make today are not the same ones my abuelo made eighty years ago. I have received many crude, disgusting piropos walking in front of construction sites in the city. On one occassion it was just too much to handle, and after hearing a disgusting comment made by a construction worker, I paused in front of him where he was sitting on the sidewalk and turned my back to him and farted right on him. Let's see if he ever makes that mistake again.

That's so classic!. One of my favorite movies. I love the scene when they launch cows over the castle walls. While we're on that subject, the Cheech and Chong movies are pretty darn funny too.

I don't recall Cheech and Chong launching cows over castle walls...

I don't recall Cheech and Chong launching cows over castle walls...

No it was Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail. Watch the video. Cheech and Chong didn't launch anything, just smoked weed all day.

Back