is this normal behaviour?

Austgirl, I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am Argentine ( female ) and have posted several times on this forum that most men are chauvinists here, actually most latin men are, so if you think about this guy you met, his attitude doesn´t match the " stereotype". Generally men here will try to impress you, will buy flowers, will pay for meals/coffee while dating, etc. Of course we have freeloaders as well, but I do not think it is the majority really. I call them Hubertos : Huberto Roviralta, was Susana Gimenez - local diva - husband, after 10 years of marriage he cheated on her and got a big chunk of money by divorcing her ( several million dollars ), she then confessed that during their marriage she paid for everything, and even before they got married... :( More slang to call these specimens: manguero, garca, garronero. My rule of thumb here for expat women here would be: never to pay for anything while dating a local guy, because that is what local women do :)

nikad said:
Austgirl, I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am Argentine ( female ) and have posted several times on this forum that most men are chauvinists here, actually most latin men are, so if you think about this guy you met, his attitude doesn´t match the " stereotype". Generally men here will try to impress you, will buy flowers, will pay for meals/coffee while dating, etc. Of course we have freeloaders as well, but I do not think it is the majority really. I call them Hubertos : Huberto Roviralta, was Susana Gimenez - local diva - husband, after 10 years of marriage he cheated on her and got a big chunk of money by divorcing her ( several million dollars ), she then confessed that during their marriage she paid for everything, and even before they got married... :( More slang to call these specimens: manguero, garca, garronero. My rule of thumb here for expat women here would be: never to pay for anything while dating a local guy, because that is what local women do :)

While I do agree that a we should all pay on our initial dates but also there must be an attitude after a while that all costs should be equal. When you constantly pay for someone it is not beneficial to a healthy relationship . I do believe that freeloading is common in Buenos Aires and applies to both sexes.

pericles said:
While I do agree that a we should all pay on our initial dates but also there must be an attitude after a while that all costs should be equal. When you constantly pay for someone it is not beneficial to a healthy relationship . I do believe that freeloading is common in Buenos Aires and applies to both sexes.

The equality regarding paying for things while dating makes sense, but it is not what happens in Argentina in 99% of the cases, it is a different culture, and a woman that is willing to pay for things will most likely attract these freeloaders, because that is what they are looking for. It is easier for local women to become freeloaders, but for men it is more difficult, and a woman that is willing to pay for their stuff, is an easy catch because thye do it based on the culture of their country of origin, and the local freeloaders take advantage of it. I always paid for half of my stuff, or actually paid bills in full ( one time I got it, the next time he got it and so on ) but that was after several months dating. As a woman, you have to learn to protect yourself :)

to: syngirl
your litmus test (would i pay for someone in my own country) comes from a place of greed and mistrust. if you care about someone, especially if you love someone, and you have the means to give them a better life, then where they are from is irrelevant.

to whoever started this post:
as someone has already said, there is no need to generalize about people of a certain country. everywhere you go you are going to find every type of person. being a rude freeloader is no more typical of argentines than australians. that being said, what were you thinking inviting this perfect stranger (I realize you met him before, but if you really knew him even a little you never would have gotten yourself in this mess) into your home? come on now people

Back