Kicillof Has A Bad Day - And He Deserves It!

I think it is lazy and symptomatic of certain sections of the right to start shouting marxist at people who aren't enacting marxist policies.
Didn't they just announce price controls for the supermarkets?

The problem is that these Academic Economists (even our own on BS Phil on this site) always believe they can "fix" the economy when all they ever seem to do is to make things a lot worse.

Joe the problem is that you are just shouting 'Marxist!' and calling anyone who disagrees with you an apologist. There is something to be said for a balance between a balance between unregulated free markets and some sort of checks and controls. Both sides on the extremes have had their costly failed experiments, it's time for a more balanced approach.

Preferably without the catcalling from the sidelines.

Note...Argentina is miles and miles away from any kind of balanced approach to economic growth. I reiterate, I do not support current govt policy. I am not a K apologist by any stretch.

There is something to be said for a balance between a balance between unregulated free markets and some sort of checks and controls. Both sides on the extremes have had their costly failed experiments, it's time for a more balanced approach.

Actually the Libertarian side has not been a failed experiment. The US and other countries (including Argentina) had a much more Libertarian slant (or smaller government as a percentage of GDP) in the 1800's and early 1900's and they were far more successful - e.g. each generation was wealthier that the previous, if you wanted a job you could get one most of the time.

What we have today with government as a bigger part of the economy is long term unemployment, increased food stamps dependency and the youth worse off than their parents.

All I can say is that I would never allow myself to live in a country where the plight of the poor and needy are left to the whim of the rich. I also don't share your definition of successful. Of course in the 1900s newly populated and created countries had rapid growth , from zero to something. It in no way allows for the management of a modern economy and can never buffer undesirable unregulated corporatism. Balance is required, the only balance libertarianism allows for is the balance between the wild fluctuations of boom and bust, war and peace etc.

19th century America..great if you were white, wealthy and running a corporation you wanted to grow. Not so hot if you were African, poor or working in factory with miserable conditions. Also not enormously great craic if you were Native American.

It's a rich man's dream. No social responsibility, no guilt, no pesky regulation and hey, we really liked the 19th century, so we're all headed back there. Stick your worker protection where the sun don't shine. In the land of liberty, you will have to pay for everything....if not, start hoping someone will throw you a few dollars to get by.

No thanks.

We're veering a little off topic, so the last I'll say is that with the Government Mandarins (like Kicillof) in control we our experiencing more long term unemployment, youth unemployment (50% here in Spain) and more people dependent on government handouts.

Kicillof and his ilk (be they left or right) are the source of the problem. The issue is not left vs. right, red team vs. blue team - these are simply diversions for the masses. The real problem are these Government Mandarins having so much power.

We are indeed....a little harsh on Kiciloff and co to blame them for Spain's woes ! The PP are in and swinging the axe....not working so far. Same in Greece....cut cut cut...nothing left to grow when you trim the plant to the bare stem.

Balance, something in the middle. Responsible growth, spending and attainable targets. Deregulation caused a crisis, panic cuts and disjointed central bank, govt and supranational institutions have made it worse. No gold stars for anyone, right left or anywhere else !

We are indeed....a little harsh on Kiciloff and co to blame them for Spain's woes ! T
I very clearly did not blame Kiciloff for Spanish woes - perhaps you missed the "like Kiciloff" or is it just the blindness suffered by apologists in general?

Nice post D2BA.

Is the balance a coalition government? Maybe possible in Europe but very difficult in Argentina.

Check the video.
What a contrast between Argentina and Uruguay: Mujica. So humble, my hero.

http://www.perfil.com/contenidos/2013/02/05/noticia_0013.html

Back