Kiwi raised, London bred and looking for work in Buenos Aires!

Bella27 said:
they are denied parental rights once sentenced and typically no longer see their children (unlike men)
You must be talking about an exception. Rule is men don't see their children once they get divorced.
And men lose everything.
IF you talk about women supremacy, well it's an old fashioned view. Women had it, and they become a kind of heartless monsters.

Bella27 said:
within a corporate world you can be asked to submit a photo of yourself before being hired, the list could go on and on especially in the Argentine corporate world. Things aren't perfect where I live but at least I can be openly respected first for my mind and a women's looks aren't at the forefront of discussions. Unlike here where I have often had comments about my looks followed up with "y sos tan inteligente".

Corporate world is not the real world, just a small and dirty world.
If you don't understand the way people use to be polite and kind in some country, please try to understand first. A compliment is not a crime against women.

snowwhitebum said:
Coffee and sandwich at Starbucks for breakfast, steak at lunch and we just ordered Japanese from Badelivery.com. So I guess international food is really hard to come by, huh?

Starbucks and shitty sushi doesn't mean that Buenos Aires has "international" food.

I don't expect Buenos Aires to have great Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, Senegalese, North Indian, South Indian, Hunan, Dim Sum, etc. primarily because there are few if any immigrants from those countries.

But I also don't fool myself into thinking that Buenos Aires is a cosmopolitan place. It is many things, but that isn't one of them.

Starbucks and shitty sushi doesn't mean that Buenos Aires has "international" food.
Ha ha, far from it. One of my major disappointments with BA was the lack of food options once you get past meat, pizza and empanadas. Oh there are a few expensive restaurants where they have a wider range of good food, but at the everyday price range, very limited if you want quality.

BASailor said:
Corporate world is not the real world, just a small and dirty world.
If you don't understand the way people use to be polite and kind in some country, please try to understand first. A compliment is not a crime against women.

Is it polite, kind or a compliment for a grown man to say to a teenager "che nena, que hermosa eres, ven y sentarte en mi regazo, tengo un premio para vos."

Or for guys to roll down the window of the car sitting in traffic, as my wife and I walk long the sidewalk, and the guys start shouting all kinds of sexual comments at her. Or crossing 9 de Julio and an idiot taxi driver honking his horn and hanging out the window, shouting all kinds of crap at her.

Neither my wife nor my sister-in-law dress in a revealing manner. In fact, my wife has started to dress as plainly as she can to avoid this as much as possible - and it doesn't seem to make a great difference.

That kind of stuff happens at least a few times a week.

My poor sister-in-law is groped on the bus she takes from school (I drive her in the mornings) every freaking day.

Women are hired here in some places based on their looks and/or age (I've seen signs here sometimes "wanted: young [sometimes an actual age range] beautiful woman with great body wanted for position X" in some places). While I can understand that some specialized jobs (models come to mind immediately) might require things like that, putting that kind of thing on clerks and even waitresses is buying into the machismo that men like to look at pretty women, even when just buying things, and business will do better if they bow to that pressure.

In perhaps the higher echelons of society here women are treated somewhat equally. There is certainly much more ability to flirt and not worry about sexual harassment lawsuits in the office (on both sides, male or female - which I think can be a good thing. I think the US has gone way too far in that,as it does in many things) and women do indeed make it to high positions. I rented my house in Pilar from a women who was a vice president at IBM here, for example. Of course, she was relatively young, beautiful, with a killer body...

But as most things here, get away from the top of society and it's extremely flavored by machismo.

I like South America for the lack of pressure that exists between men and women here, to an extent. It's one thing that the US, to me, seems to be way too far in the other direction.

One nice thing for foreigner males who come here - if you treat a woman with respect, you are more likely to gain her confidence and desire to be with you, than you are if you treat her like most of her countrymen do. And the further you get away from the upper echelons of society, the greater that difference is.

It seemed like no one answered your question. I must say first I love Buenos Aires, been here for 10 years, but it is not an easy place to live. You might want to try a smaller city like Mendoza or Cordoba, you are much closer to amazing nature but still have cultural options. Mendoza has a lot of expats.
Will you be able to support yourself in Buenos Aires living a lifestyle you find appealing? (shared apartment or one room in a nice area, going out to eat, taking a taxi, traveling a bit). It is hard to find a salaried job that will give you this, especially if you are new to BsAs. Most people who make it here either:
1) have a job that they telecomute to in their home country or are freelancers. For examples, personal coaches, website designers, etc
2) The start a business here (not easy), usually in the tech sector or hospitality center (closed door restaurant, for example) or with a nitch expat market. For example, giving high end hair cuts to expats in their apartment.
I would suggest saving up as much money as you can AND if you can, some sort of work you can do long distance. Spend the first 3 months taking language lessons and emersing yourself in Spanish, even if it means you are lonely because you don´t hang out with expats. After three months, start to look for work, but keep in mind that you will probably not earn more than 30% to 50% of what you need, unless you really hustle. yes, you can teach English but your accent isn´t that desired and it is hard to get enough hours, especially if you have no experience--I HATED teaching English, not that easy really.

(Now about sexism) I came here as a 20 year old female. I got a lot of piropos on the street, but not more than New York. I am 30 and they have greatly diminished. I work as a film director. In Hollywood, very few women direct. I run a blog, Filming in Argentina, and most of the movies we blog about have women directors. I never had any doors closed to me for being female, never heard a lot of complaints from other women. As my husband says "los argentinos son babosos, no machistas" (they are sex obsessed, not sexist). I also work in an NGO where I am the only female, and the only yanqui. I run the meetings and the men defer to me. In fact, some have admitted that they fear and respect me.
Also, if you get a catcall, there is one clear way to make it stop. This method is no fail. Look the guy in the eye and say "pago el telo yo" (I will pay for the love hotel). Insist. Get mad and insist you want to have sex with him. He will RUN the other way. They are just show offs, they don´t really mean it. (In Cuba, they really do want to have sex with you, and this method will get you laid).
And catcalls aren´t violence.
If you look at stats about Argentina, you will find that it is one of the best countries in the world for women, perceptions aside (% in senate, % in government, % in business, equality laws, etc).

Montauk_Project said:
(Now about sexism)
Also, if you get a catcall, there is one clear way to make it stop.

Brilliant! or may I say "!Que bolas!"

Montauk_Project said:
(Now about sexism) I came here as a 20 year old female. I got a lot of piropos on the street, but not more than New York. I am 30 and they have greatly diminished. I work as a film director. In Hollywood, very few women direct. I run a blog, Filming in Argentina, and most of the movies we blog about have women directors. I never had any doors closed to me for being female, never heard a lot of complaints from other women. As my husband says "los argentinos son babosos, no machistas" (they are sex obsessed, not sexist). I also work in an NGO where I am the only female, and the only yanqui. I run the meetings and the men defer to me. In fact, some have admitted that they fear and respect me.
Also, if you get a catcall, there is one clear way to make it stop. This method is no fail. Look the guy in the eye and say "pago el telo yo" (I will pay for the love hotel). Insist. Get mad and insist you want to have sex with him. He will RUN the other way. They are just show offs, they don´t really mean it. (In Cuba, they really do want to have sex with you, and this method will get you laid).
And catcalls aren´t violence.
If you look at stats about Argentina, you will find that it is one of the best countries in the world for women, perceptions aside (% in senate, % in government, % in business, equality laws, etc).
Agree 100%!!! Thanks!

Hello, I know this post was in 2009, but I was wondering if you are still looking for people. I am from London and have just arrived here in BA.

Back