Los Angeles has 10 times as many homeless as Buenos Aires

this always end up as a pissing contest north vs south america...to compare LA to BA is or should be kept in perspective. If the numbers are double then keep in mind population in LA is more than likely double or more as well. LA is suffering due to alot of reasons as it has been hit from several angles, one, the realestate bubble burst, the Fed and previous rule deregulating banks and allowing inlearned people to borrow more than they can afford,secondly, SAG strikes taught producers how easy it is too film elsewhere,as is happening here as well,but thats another discussion. Anyway the last i heard LA unemployment number was a real 19% and thats the largest in the US and staggering.So as for the timely critism for not helping it unfortunate at this juncture is
a bit like punching a child. You cant help others if first you need to help yourself!!
Am i suprized about the attept to compare BA to LA, well no. Argentina has a love/hate relationship with us,cant wait to try and one up and first to talk shit but first to buy anything that says USA ie...iphones,Nike, mcDonalds etc...But thats fairly common throughout the world.

I think homelessness is a terrible problem in the world. The discrepancies in numbers are a factor here though, because what does it mean to be "homeless". In Argentina I notice that shanties and shacks pass as "homes". They are not "property" rented or owned and they have no plumbing, heating, running water or electricity (unless it's stolen, which is dangerous). This means people aren't sleeping on the street exactly, but they are also not safe and secure. The US needs to do more to make sure it's people all have safe, clean, affordable housing. Every country does....

I'd also like to note that the "numbers" come from many different sources and likely aren't perfectly factual in any country. Every one wants to look better than they are. Argentina's government is as good as ours at hiding the actual facts....

HotYogaTeacher said:
I'd also like to note that the "numbers" come from many different sources and likely aren't perfectly factual in any country. Every one wants to look better than they are. Argentina's government is as good as ours at hiding the actual facts....

Exactly. I was watching TV the other night and they reported I think it was a 9.5% unemployment rate here. I turned and looked at my wife and said "that's a bunch of s***" right in front of my inlaws. Ooops.

I mean dang, it is probably closer to 3 times that here. As if the unemployment rate is less here than the US. Right...

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I don't trust any numbers, stats, etc that come from any government including the US. But it's a different level of bs from the gov here. IMHO

Back