Luggage

Sam Bartolo

Registered
Excuse me as Newbie

Ill be coming BA in March, for one week.

Question, Id like to bring in one large piece of luggage, will that raise any red flags? (Ive heard many stories, on another site.)

Ill be moving to BA, and Id like to bring in one big bag of clothes.

One more,

I have one week, I want to see what my daily life will be , I have to jump in the fire fast.

Im not concerned so much being a tourist, I can do that when I move.

My thoughts are going to markets, etc...checking out the furniture stores, and getting a sense of daily life.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks everyone in Advance

Sam

bring as much luggage as you can. no problems getting it thru customs. If you are really moving, then checked luggage is the best, safest, and cheapest way to get stuff here.
Ditto

I've brought in three gigantic suitcases filled with all kinds of things: clothes, linens and howsewares, without problems.
But better not bring more than one each of electronic stuff such as: computers, phones, cameras, etc. That is what Customs look for. Best of luck....!

Last edited:
I've brought in three gigantic suitcases filled with all kinds of things: clothes, linens and howsewares, without problems.
But better not bring more than one each of electronic stuff such as: computers, phones, cameras, etc. That is what Customs look for. Best of luck....!
What if its two older desktops? Don't have the ganas to sell then rebuy. Rather just bring it through with me when I come back again.

What if its two older desktops? Don't have the ganas to sell then rebuy. Rather just bring it through with me when I come back again.
no problem with that either, my DH brought his with no issues.

no problem with that either, my DH brought his with no issues.
Thanks! I think I might just do that. Last time we just brought in bags with clothes and keepsakes so no electronics.

Thanks! I think I might just do that. Last time we just brought in bags with clothes and keepsakes so no electronics.
they really don't care much for desktops ( they will scan them tho )

Here's a boostrapping recipe:

Before leaving
  1. Open up a Western Union account. If you're bringing cash, this may not be as important but good to have a backup. There are other forum articles on what to do
  2. If you don't yet have a Charles Schwab account, open one as it seems you can get a decent rate from ATMs using Schwab. Schwab is useful for any travel abroad.
  3. If you don't yet have a VISA travel credit card, I recommend getting one such a the Bank of America Travel rewards card. You will not be charged a forex conversion fee and you can charge things at ~MEP rate
  4. If your current cell phone provider supports esims (most do), convert your phone plan to an eSim so that you can free up that sim card slot to use both a local number and your home number simultaneously. This helps immensely if you have MFA enabled to log into your banking apps on your phone.
  5. Download the Cabify app

Upon Arriving
  1. Get Cash. Scope out a place where you can exchange cash. If you don't know already, bring crisp, unfolded, unadultered $100 bills. There are many places open M-F, you can search forums. If you happen to arrive on a weekend, you can go to tourist offices that offer bus tours and such and they will often have a cambio for a decent rate (362 as of Sunday around centro)
  2. Get a Claro prepago sim card at a Kiosco. After you It would be ideal if you can also fill it (with cash) in the same place but if not, you may have to run around various places, like Farmacity. After you add credit to your account and then choose a cell phone plan.
  3. Once you have a working number, you can activate your Cabify account
  4. If you want to get a feeling for local life, get a SUBE card and move around with the Subte and buses. As cheap and convenient taxis may be relative to your US spending power, I feel like there nothing more satisfying than taking public transport and paying the equivalent of 11 cents per ride

As others mentioned, this is the best way to get stuff here. Every time I come back into Argentina I typically have a bunch of stuff I'm bringing for family and friends. They always want stuff and I've never had issues. The best thing is to take tags off stuff if it's new or if it's electronic stuff just take it out of the box or if carrying multiple iPhones, just carry them in a jacket so you don't have to put it through the bag to X-ray. I've never had issues.

Back