Maple Syrup

loudubon

Registered
We looking to buy Maple Syrup or Pancake Syrup. Suggestions as o where I can find it would be appreciated .

You might try search as this seems to be a common problem for Canucks.

Are there Maple Syrup trees in Patagonia for domestic sourced maple syrup?

You'll have to grow your own Maple tree and overtime make the syrup yourself... It's absolutely nonexistent in Argentina :(

Unfortunately import restrictions apply to maple syrup... making it crucial to have friends/fam. pack bottles in lots of bubble wrap when they visit.

I've seen Canadian maple syrup in a specialty imports shop on Pueyrredon between Gutierrez and Pacheco de Melo. I think it's called Gourmet. There are a number of similar shops in that area on Pueyrredon that would probably sell it.

As far as pancake mix goes you can try New Garden or other dieteticas would probably sell it.

To tell the truth though the price for a tin of the amber will probably cost an arm and a leg. I just load up my suitcase and bring the stuff back with me.

I was going to say hey, looks like an interesting business opportunity, after all, who doesn't like Maple syrup? Looks like a tough business though.

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/FAQ.htm

What is the average start-up cost for equipment in a small scale ("hobby") production?
Let’s assume you plan on 150 taps (about 40-50 gallons of syrup) and are starting out with new equipment. We will also assume you have a building to use as a sugar house. The approximate costs are:

Equipment
Cost

Evaporator, wood fired
$1995

Tubing, $4 per tap X 150 taps
$600

Tubing washer
$200

Gasoline-powered tapper
$400

300-gallon plastic storage tank
$410

Filter material
$50

Accessories/miscellaneous
$300

TOTAL
$4000

Now assume that you sell the 40 to 50 gallons of syrup at $32 per gallon for a total revenue of $1300 to $1600 for the year. Then assume a 50% gross profit or $800 per year. The break even cash flow year is $4000/$800 = year 5. Not really a good deal if your only reason for going into the maple business is profit! Used equipment would reduce the capital cost by 30 to 75%.

How many taps would I need to produce 20 gallons of syrup per year?
A rule of thumb is 1/3 gallon of syrup per tap. Thus, you would need about 60 taps to produce 20 gallons of syrup.

Of course first you'd need to go down south somewhere and plant the trees... doesn't look like a good get-rich-quick scheme after all.

As far as pancake mix goes you can try New Garden or other dieteticas would probably sell it.
Why do people use pancake mix? Basic batter is a handful of ingredients and without the additives a mix is going to have. We are talking about about a minute to make. Do mixes contain dehydrated eggs or some artificial egg substitute?

And instead of Maple Syrup you can make a syrup out of local berries (or Dulce de Leche if you like it).

Oh my vishnu, Joe. I was totally with you about the make your own pancake mix, but then you say.... DDL on pancakes (!!!) The most vile combination created by man since Milli Vanilli. There should be human rights legislation to protect us from such perverse carbohydrate concoctions.

Or you can use Kero (Maizena Kero) which has similar taste and ingredients as the pancake (corn) syrups in the US.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GMXam Expat Life 31
Gringoboy Food and Drink 1
Morin Food and Drink 8
Joe Food and Drink 3
Gringoboy Articles 12
Back