Maple Syrup

Reasons I don't hold out much hope quantities of reasonably priced maple syrup will be available in Argentina:

*Patagonia, that wind-blasted, barren wonderland, is likely not friendly to trees like maples. For sure, it's no Vermont.

*The market in Argentina for maple syrup right now includes North American expats -- and who else? Not much demand.

*Government policies on imports in general.

When I was a kid growing up in the midwest, most "maple" syrup in grocery stores had about 2% real maple in it.
And I remember using Karo brand corn syrup on my French toast.
Then I moved to Vermont, and discovered the true nectar of the gods.

I have had students give me close-to-untouched bottles or jars of maple syrup (usually given to them as gifts from visiting Canadians or New Englanders) , because most Argentineans find the taste too bitter or strong. To me, as a Canadian, it is like a gift of gold.

I have been using mapline to make my own pancake syrup......mapline is highly concentrated maple flavoring....you can buy it in USA in small bottles next to vanilla in supermarkets...a few drops to sugar and water cooked , then stored in a bottle,,,,tastes just like log cabin syrup and easier to bring down from the states....be sure and seal it up well....one bottle leaked in my suitcase over a year ago and the suitcase still smells like maple syrup!

No substitute for the real thing... and second the ddl remarks.

OK, this is Lou the guy who started this post. My wife and I tried the Pan Que Ques mix this morning to make pancake batter. /came out pretty good. We bought some honey and a bottle of Salsa de Caramelo (topping for Ice Cream) and believe it or not it was pretty good on the pancakes. We found a solution that works! will probably bring back some syrup on our next trip to the US, but for now we're good. Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

We bought some honey and a bottle of Salsa de Caramelo (topping for Ice Cream) and believe it or not it was pretty good on the pancakes. We found a solution that works!

Yea, that is what you say now. But after 2 months the shakes start. At 3 months serious depression sets in. If untreated this leads to deeper psychological issues and occasional obsessive compulsive disorders such as repeatedly checking the current Official / Blue price spread.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GMXam Expat Life 31
Gringoboy Food and Drink 1
Morin Food and Drink 8
Joe Food and Drink 3
Gringoboy Articles 12
Back