Move to Buenos Aires?

If you're currently living in a major US city, you'll find the crime situation to be little different than what you're accustomed to.

As for the economic situation, I assume you would be earning dollars, which provides considerable protection against inflation. You can live quite well here on a decent salary of a US professional.

And the political mess? Well, you're already accustomed to dysfunction in Washington and the 50 state capitals. The dysfuncionality here is different in quality but more-or-less equal in degree.

So if you're feeling adventurous, just do it!

6-12 months? go for it! as for crime, use your common sense, that's the most important thing. (everywhere in the world.) you can really enjoy buenos aires since you don't have to deal with all the everyday BS every argentinian has to deal with every single day.

it's a great opportunity, and you'll enjoy it!

also, leave some time for travel, it's a really beautiful country.

Hi usguy,

You should remember that the people on this forum are those who decided to stay, i.e. BA was "for them", and that leads to a bias. I followed this forum when considering a move to BA, and am not a regular here. I noticed your query by pure coincidence, as I got an unsolicited e-mail today reminding me I was signed up as a user here, and I noticed your query in that e-mail.

Obviously, the phrase "to each his own" is the operative consideration here. We came to BA for 3 weeks to evaluate the possibility of living there. We seriously considered just forfeiting our entire pre-paid accommodation arrangement (several thousand USD), and leaving after the first week. We found BA to be such a miserable experience we just wanted out, and didn't care what it cost. We ended up sticking it out for the full 3 weeks, but regretted that decision. When we finally left, we met a couple of other Americans who were quite delighted to be getting on the plane and leaving, never to return.

Oddly enough, the crime you hear so much about didn't really bother us much. We may have just been lucky, but we really didn't feel unsafe. But we did find that culturally, BA is just a dump - in our eyes, anyway. The food is a real detractor as well. Yes, the red meat is quite good. In our experience, it was the ONLY thing that was good, and you can't eat steak 3 times a day.

I'm not going to elaborate further, because most of the people reading are very fond of BA and proud of their new home. I mean no offense to anyone - I'm just trying to help you see that some people react positively to BA, while others negatively. Very negatively.

My strong suggestion is to VISIT BA for no more than a month - preferably 2 weeks - and make sure you like it before committing to a 6-month gig. I NEVER would have lasted 6 months in BA. No way. Not for any amount of money. Your mileage may vary, and hopefully you'll fall in love with BA the way so many others here have. But I quite assure you, it's not for everyone.

All the best,
xPat

The biggest factor in whether or not you should come here is your job. If you will continue to make the same money that you are making now, then you should come. Crime has always been an issue in Buenos Aires, even if it has increased over the last few years. Just follow the basic guidelines for staying safe and most likely nothing will happen to you.

The biggest thing is if you can support yourself living here for a year or not. I think 6 months to a year is the perfect amount of time to experience the city. See all 4 seasons and all the different cultural events throughout the year and maybe you can live in a few different areas of the city to get a more complete experience.

And yes, the economic/political eviornment in Argentina may be unstable now, but I doubt that it has ever really been stable.

You get robbed in NYC, St. Louis, San Diego, Birmingham, Tampa, Orlando, Seattle, Paris, London, Munchen, etc etc ...

I came on vacation in 2006 and (almost) never left. 6 years now. Yes, there are some things that will annoy you, eg "But that's no like it is in enter your home city here! Dont' worry about it. Be informed, be smart, be wordly. :)

Have a great time.

xPat said:
You should remember that the people on this forum are those who decided to stay, i.e. BA was "for them", and that leads to a bias.

I committed to living here for 6 months before I had any impression of the city. And believe me, if I didn't like it I would be the first to advise you not to come. I don't know what experience this poster had in Bs As - they did elaborate on why they decided to leave or why they label it a 'dump' - but I think living here is an wonderful experience for most people and an excellent location to develop your Spanish. And I have never heard Bs As described as a dump by any expats I have met here.

Who described BA as a "dump" in this thread (or any other)?

I think it's a pseudo European shit hole and I've said so in other threads.

I don't think anyone has every challenged me on that one.

If coming to BA for six months or a year is important to your career it might make sense to come. The only way to be paid in dollars is if you are paid in the US and that implies you are working en negro.

If your company is registered with migraciones you will need to have a work permit and get the DNI and deal with all the "red tape" that entails...and you will be paid in pesos...and pay taxes in Argentina.

In my opinion BA is a HORRIBLE place to develop you SPANISH. Spanish isn't the language spoken in BA. Just watch local news or sports coverage and then watch a US movie dubbed in Spanish to see what I mean.

You've received both positive and negative advice but no one has asked if you have a family or if you are married. Even if you are single, what will you do with your furtinture and personal possessions while you are living in Argentina? How easy will it be to find a new place to live when you return to the US? Where will you stay during this process?

If there are others in your company who have done the BA "rotation" I suggest you ask them about their experience. Anything thay have to say will be far more valuable than the opinions of strangers here, including mine.

fifs2 said:
For sure you must come...we all risk our lives every second of every day no matter whather we stay in our home countries, at home, in bed..so better to run that risk having a unique Argentinean experience no?

These sorts of lists crack me up and help put these non statistical forums stories into context:

See http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htmThe most common causes of death due to injury in the United States

And I DO think having read this forum will serve you well as you are now aware of potential crime issues and the need to be safe in Bsas which I sadly wasnt when I arrived and resulted in my being robbed on the 1st day. Being forewarned and conscientious is the ideal here. It doesn't sgop you enjoying life here and in fact it will help you enjoy it more.

The person who made this post was not only robbed the first day she was here, she was also "blackmailed" (using her own words from another thread) though I don't think she provided the gory details.

Frankly, I don't think either of these will happen to you...and perhaps she was extorted rather than blackmailed. Extortion is often a demand for money even if you have done everything legally. Blackmail is something you usually pay when you have violated the law and are are paying an official to cover it up or look the ther way, but it can also apply to charges which are absolutely false.

As long as you blame Republicans for most of the problems in the USA (like she does) I'm sure you wil be happy in Buenos Aires.

I just want to add that if you are robbed the first day you are here (a taxi driving away with your luggage for example) you probably won't enjoy "it" more. :p

fifs2 said:
For sure you must come...we all risk our lives every second of every day no matter whather we stay in our home countries, at home, in bed..so better to run that risk having a unique Argentinean experience no? Being forewarned and conscientious is the ideal here. It doesn't stop you enjoying life here and in fact it will help you enjoy it more.

I live in Argenitna and I don't live in fear or think that I risk my life everyday based upon where I live, but I don't live in Capital Federal.

I daresay that I actually have (and continue to have) a unique "Argenitnean" experience..if happiness is the standard of measurement.

Im sorry yours wasn't as pleasant as mine or that you ever had to live in fear.

Back