Move to Buenos Aires?

Things will get cheap for those with foreign currency before too long - when the current economic policy of the KFC government implodes and the USD trades for 8 pesos (within a year).

I don't normally read this forum, but couldn't resist taking another peak today to see how this thread was developing.

I'm not sure the OP is even still here, but FWIW I think the real key here is understanding the diversity of goals and expectations of expats coming to BA. A lot of young (college age) people with little/no money came to BA a few years ago, and found they could live like kings on very little money. That seems to be where the [fallacious] positive reputation came from. Just two problems with that: (1) Their definition of "living like a king" was a college kid's definition, and (2) it's no longer true due to inflation.

CityGirl, you said it quite well on most points (i.e. if you seek a high end NYC like lifestyle, stay the hell away from BA). One place I have to disagree is your assertion that good food is available if you really want it. We looked pretty hard, and found the opposite to be true. I respectfully suggest you may have forgotten what NYC is really like. BA is a pathetic joke in contrast, on any reasonable culinary scale. Yes, there are a few "high-end" restaurants that considerably out-perform the standard of mediocrity that pervades the rest of the BA food scene, but on a world scale, even those higher-end establishments rate as pathetic at best.

We walked into "Tomo I" entirely by accident, and while I concede that the SERVICE was actually reasonably good (contrast with godawful every single other place we went in BA), the bread basket alone was so ridiculously bad that it warranted a walk-out. Of course we stayed, and were non-plussed by the mediocre food on offer. Imagine our shock when we later read that this was supposedly the best restaurant in town! In NYC it wouldn't last 6 months.

Yes, I admit that I'm a food snob - gourmet dining is very important to me, and I'm very fortunate to be able to afford to frequent Michellin-starred restaurants all over the world. But frankly, BA is a culinary black hole. On a gourmet scale, all the food there is just plain godawful, and that's being generous.

@SteveInBsAs, dude you crack me up and I quite enjoy your posts. I have to say, however, that I found your characterization of BA as "A Pseudo-European Shit Hole" to be unduly kind. I would have been far less generous had I felt inclined to offer a candid description.

Let's not forget the woefully corrupt government either - nobody has even mentioned today's nationalization of YPF yet! And can anyone explain what the hell is going on with the smug, condescending arrogance of the portenos? I mean seriously, the French are famously arrogant, but they also have the best food and wine in the world, are a cultural mecca, have what is arguably the most advanced art scene on the planet, and are home to some of the world's most beautiful women. But the Portenos are considerably MORE arrogant. What is the genesis of this attitude? So far as I can tell, BA leads the world in Tango dancing, and absolutely NOTHING else. WTF does a porteno have to even be PROUD of, never mind arrogant?

To the OP and the other guy from NYC seeking a high-end lifestyle, forget BA. If you want to be in S. America, Chile is about 10,000 times more attractive.

xPat

I'd vote for Peru for foodies looking for good living in LAM.

New yorker looking to move to BA. retired (58 yr male) looking for high end luxury living. No not a snob . want nice things. ex wall street so main question do the numbers work to buy or rent . Thanks new to blog any advice would be helpful. Not afraid of crime grew up in Brooklyn New york

I think you need to buy. For a truly luxurious rental in BA, from what I've seen, you'll pay over $12K per month. There's a lot of pretend luxury with bafd beds, furniture and pathetic kitchens for less, but to get true luxury everything needs to be imported and few take the trouble to do it. If you dare to invest in BA real estate (I wouldn't), you can buy some amazing French style mansions for a fraction of what a small upper East Side town house would cost. Staff is also a fraction of the price but are a fraction of the efficiency.

There are better places to live on WS money, much better. Or live here half the time, which we find doable.

xPat said:
I don't normally read this forum, but couldn't resist taking another peak today to see how this thread was developing.

I'm not sure the OP is even still here, but FWIW I think the real key here is understanding the diversity of goals and expectations of expats coming to BA. A lot of young (college age) people with little/no money came to BA a few years ago, and found they could live like kings on very little money. That seems to be where the [fallacious] positive reputation came from. Just two problems with that: (1) Their definition of "living like a king" was a college kid's definition, and (2) it's no longer true due to inflation.

CityGirl, you said it quite well on most points (i.e. if you seek a high end NYC like lifestyle, stay the hell away from BA). One place I have to disagree is your assertion that good food is available if you really want it. We looked pretty hard, and found the opposite to be true. I respectfully suggest you may have forgotten what NYC is really like. BA is a pathetic joke in contrast, on any reasonable culinary scale. Yes, there are a few "high-end" restaurants that considerably out-perform the standard of mediocrity that pervades the rest of the BA food scene, but on a world scale, even those higher-end establishments rate as pathetic at best.

We walked into "Tomo I" entirely by accident, and while I concede that the SERVICE was actually reasonably good (contrast with godawful every single other place we went in BA), the bread basket alone was so ridiculously bad that it warranted a walk-out. Of course we stayed, and were non-plussed by the mediocre food on offer. Imagine our shock when we later read that this was supposedly the best restaurant in town! In NYC it wouldn't last 6 months.

Yes, I admit that I'm a food snob - gourmet dining is very important to me, and I'm very fortunate to be able to afford to frequent Michellin-starred restaurants all over the world. But frankly, BA is a culinary black hole. On a gourmet scale, all the food there is just plain godawful, and that's being generous.

@SteveInBsAs, dude you crack me up and I quite enjoy your posts. I have to say, however, that I found your characterization of BA as "A Pseudo-European Shit Hole" to be unduly kind. I would have been far less generous had I felt inclined to offer a candid description.

Let's not forget the woefully corrupt government either - nobody has even mentioned today's nationalization of YPF yet! And can anyone explain what the hell is going on with the smug, condescending arrogance of the portenos? I mean seriously, the French are famously arrogant, but they also have the best food and wine in the world, are a cultural mecca, have what is arguably the most advanced art scene on the planet, and are home to some of the world's most beautiful women. But the Portenos are considerably MORE arrogant. What is the genesis of this attitude? So far as I can tell, BA leads the world in Tango dancing, and absolutely NOTHING else. WTF does a porteno have to even be PROUD of, never mind arrogant?

To the OP and the other guy from NYC seeking a high-end lifestyle, forget BA. If you want to be in S. America, Chile is about 10,000 times more attractive.

xPat

Are you still in BA ? Seems hard to believe that you would be?

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
Are you still in BA ? Seems hard to believe that you would be?

Sorry, ignore that. I see you were here for 3 weeks and came to the conclusion it wasn't for you...

OP - I'll be arriving in September. A lot of uncertainties clearly with the economic situation. of course, but We're coming to spend time with my fiances family for a few years. Whether we stay will depend on how we feel things are going. What we are aware of is that we'll need to more vigilant with our security, will need to be more careful with money and that economic stability (personally and nationally) is not a certainty. Fortunately we won't pay rent and have a spare property to considering selling or renting.

I think it's a case of not being naive in terms of your expectation. I've learnt that from my visits. Certain things will be difficult and different !

xPat said:

1) I think you may have me confused with someone else. What I said was that while the prices for high end restaurants here are cheaper than in NY or other major cities, there are very few high end options available, esp for a city of this size . And the mid-level restaurants tend to be pricier with a limited selection across the board as compared to other cities.

2) While I hardly the biggest advocate for Arg food and and am on record bemoaning the limited options available to us in general, there are good restaurants here where it is possible to have a great meal. I am sorry you didn't find any in your three weeks here but since you could only have been to a few, I will tell you they exist.

3) If I've forgotten what the NYC is like, I should probably be checked for Alzheimers since I'm in & out of there every few months. ;)

WOW. I wonder that some of you guys are still in Argentina. I'm even amazed that you don't like the restaurants! I guess I'm just not a connosseur (however you spell it!)

For the record, I live in BsAs and I like it. A LOT! I'm not dependent on Argentina business or income, however, so I can't speak to that. If you are looking for economic security, mind telling me where that is? I just might go there! (Just kidding!) The truth is today we have to educate ourselves and make good decisions. But that's good for us! Forces us to learn and to think.

Buenos Aires is a gorgeous city. There are good areas and bad as in any city. Go to the better areas. (I live in Palermo.) Read the forums but try not to be too overwhelmed by the negatives. Do heed advice like not bringing a lot of money into the country, etc.You might have problems getting it out. In the last crisis (2001) Argentines had their safe deposit boxes opened and gold and USD taken out and replaced (I think) with pesos though I'm not even sure about that. So be aware!

You do have to be cautious about securuty. Attend some of the expat events after you get here, everyone will be happy to give you all kinds of instructions. I live on the 6th floor with a lovely balcony and large french doors. I felt so secure this far off the ground that I was sleeping with the doors open and the fresh air blowing in. It was wonderful until I read on this forum of two people, one on the 6th floor and one on the NINTH (of all things) where someone used a ladder from another balcony to access her apartment, and in the second case she discovered the ladder before it was used. I close my outside protective shutters at night now. I appreciate those who posted their experience so I know that a 6th floor balcony isn't a place to leave your doors open!

Having said that, I don't live in fear. I love it here. Just use caution. Hope to see you soon in BA!

Arlean

As stated earlier, I live here and I love it! Yes the government is crazy but it's crazy a lot of other places too, just better hidden.

arlean said:
In the last crisis (2001) Argentines had their safe deposit boxes opened and gold and USD taken out and replaced (I think) with pesos though I'm not even sure about that. So be aware!
:rolleyes: Really?

PhilipDT said:

Yes, they also killed all the children and drank white doves blood.

No, not at all, only in the bank accounts, that are different from safe deposits.

If you had 30k U$D in the bank, now you had 30k pesos, BUT if you owed the bank 30k U$D, you still owe them that much.

That's to say all your life savings were cut to a third, while your debt multiplied by 3, basically.

That made a lot of people mad and the presidente had to flee by helicopter after resignation. A little while after that we had the world record of 6 presidents in 2 months.

Edit: the 21st of december 2001, was my prom night, FYI...

Back