My 10 Commandments (Er... Suggestions) Of Ba Living

Can you be more specific? How does the whole scam work? Why do they call first from the prison? To ascertain if the person is a soft touch? Why can't they call any number and ask for ransom. It's not like I gave out any personal details....

The scam is they call from prison and either talk to the granma the maid or a child and inquiry about the family composition and names, they know how to extract precise info...!! then call back later and tell them a family member is kidnapped and rquest ransom to release her, to be deposited or such. Many people have fallen victims of this scam

PD; IS pointless to argue about the pros and cons aboyt living in B.A, Everyone is entitled to have a subjetive perception,

What's with the prison calls anyway? I get these quite often and I have no relatives or friends or anyone I care about in prison.

Everytime I get these calls I obviously hang up, but what do they want? why do they call for? I always wanted to know.

When crossing Av. del Libertador and the walk sign starts flashing you better get your arse in gear

I didnt once - I thought I had plenty of time and ended up in the middle like a proverbial matador staring down the eyes of the monsters hurtling towards and me with thoughts of leaving this world

Actually after about a minute of standing still and awaiting the seemingly inevitable (it seemed a lot longer somehow) I somehow transcended onto a higher spiritual plain and became convinced that drivers in Buenos Aires were so good that there was no way they were going to hit me.

And no one did!

But not to be repeated or recommended. ps No substances were involved.

They're called virtual kidnappings... somebody gets personal info from you / about you over the phone. Then sometime later somebody else or perhaps the same person will call back making ransom demands saying they have your daughter / son / wife / pet dog / whatever. It's a scam that people in prison do to get money from the unsuspecting public.
It sounds stupid but a lot of the times it works. Prison inmates have a lot of time on their hands & a certain amount of free calls per months. It's best to just hang up the phone & not give personal info.

Do not give keys to building porters. Be very careful in employing a maid. Make sure she has been recommended by someone who has known her a long time. Make a copy of her DNI. Do not let workmen in your home unsupervised. Do not answer the door if you are not 100% sure who is there. On subways and buses assume everyone is a thief.

Beware of the maid's boyfriend that shares your bed when you are gone!!

I love how you put this! I have friends come here with me every years, and I give them a booklet of how things work. They still do stupid things. This year, I had a woman bring down Traveler's checks! What a mess!

Well, this list applies to ANY city world wide, not just BA. And why on earth would you accept a call from anyone in prison if you don't know such person? Also, smoking weed right on the street is never a good idea, anywhere... so I guess BA is pretty good after all.

thou shall not expect women to be treated as intelligent human beings in BsAs

Back