My stolen iPhone is being sold on mercadolibre!

Okay...I agree with you on the principle thing. However, don't forget where you are. In most societies where the police does their job, this won't usually happen. People who steal other people's property are not so bold in those societies as to put the loot up on the internet and sell it off (it happens, of course, but not so boldly and openly).

That's why I said "you're in Argentina". You're in the right, the thief is wrong. There is no doubt about it. Should the thief be punished? Of course. But think about it before you waste your time and energy on this situation. If the police here doesn't even do their job while a robbery or theft is taking place in front of their eyes, what makes you think they will tag along with you just because of "principle"?

Problem in Argentina is not primarily crime (I know crime is a problem) but the bigger problem, the root cause of this problem, is that people perpetrating crimes usually don't have to fear any consequences for their actions. That is what you're dealing with here, I'm afraid.

The whole society is built around shrugging shoulders when a crime takes place. I don't think your iPhone will get any attention whatsoever.

So the police isn't going to do anything for you. What other options do you have? Well like someone said, hire security, buy the phone, go for collection and teach him a lesson.

But remember that this guy could be a dangerous individual.

If the phone ain't worth much to you, then forget about it. But from now on, keep evidence with you that you own the phone. Install "Find my phone" app or whatever its called to kill your phone the moment its stolen.

Don't expect principles to prevail in this country. Go with the flow and if I were you, I'd let this one go. I'd be pretty pissed off...that comes with the territory, however, I don't think it is worth it in this country to waste your time on it.

EDIT: If you do decide to go, PLEASE don't go alone and don't go defenceless.

nicoenarg said:
EDIT: If you do decide to go, PLEASE don't go alone and don't go defenceless.

Yea, if you do go, take this guy:

uQg4I.jpg

PhilipDT said:
Don't spook the seller by asking for paperwork as steve suggests. But do call the cops, see if they will accompany you to meet the seller.

I actually suggested that I be the one to ask for the paperwork...but its up to the OP either way. Since I am a registered user with a good reputation, the seller will probably answer any questions I ask. If the seller doesn't like my question he/she can instantly delete it and even block me.

Have you looked at the seller's reputation?

Do they have a lot of "used" electronics for sale?

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do. What is stopping this guy selling it from simply saying he bought it from someone else. There isn't anything you can do at all.

My sister in law's boyfriend had his new Iphone stolen and had the Find my Iphone activated. He went to the police and they police absolutely refused to go to the house where it indicated it was. And this guy didn't either because apparently it was in a rough area.

I'd forget about trying to get the phone back now..nothing you can do.

ya i defnitely agree that these people can be dangerous! just a couple days ago i saw this man on the bus, i kept looking at how creepy he was looking at the this girls ass behind him, then realized that he was checking out her large purse, she was totally oblivious talking to her friend. he started putting his hand in to unzip the pocket of her bag, i was super freaked out as this man was huge and they usually work in twos! but i stood up as though i was walking past and told the girl "cuida tu carter!"
the man quickly turned around because he heard and was definitely eyeing me after. i was so freaked out and shaking after. i was supposed to get off at the next stop but when i saw him getting off too (from the back doors) i stayed on the bus and waited a few stops to get off!
long story short, i would definitely try to get my phone back but would take extra precautions!

rrptownley said:
Yea, if you do go, take this guy:

uQg4I.jpg

Thanks all. I am just going to let it go. I bought a new phone (just a simple Nokia) already and am leaving in a few months anyway. I am actually half Argentine and have tons of family here so I know how it goes as far as "principals" and it sucks!! I did use Find My iPhone to track it and it went around the whole city until the signal suddenly went dead yesterday. Well, hope someone enjoys the phone. The battery only lasts 3 hours at a time anyway!

If you don't want to do it yourself ("buy" it, arrange a meeting, and just take the phone) then I'm sure you could find someone who would do it for a fair price if successful. I'd try striking a deal with a cop, off the record. The buyer asks to see the phone, and then refuses to return it to him and tells him exactly why. Arrange it in a public place, which will benefit you. If he makes a scene just be like, "thief!" haha oh man I wish you would try it, I'd love to hear how it goes down. You could sell that story to a travler's magazine for sure. Do it!!

LC222 said:
Thanks all. I am just going to let it go. I bought a new phone (just a simple Nokia) already and am leaving in a few months anyway. I am actually half Argentine and have tons of family here so I know how it goes as far as "principals" and it sucks!! I did use Find My iPhone to track it and it went around the whole city until the signal suddenly went dead yesterday. Well, hope someone enjoys the phone. The battery only lasts 3 hours at a time anyway!

You're better off as you never know what kind of people they are. They may be all hopped up on paco or whatever.

I had my blackberry stolen from a party at MY house and there was only one stranger that came with a friend of mine. They left and suddenly it was gone.

So one day I actually saw the guy in the Subte using MY phone! So I went up to him and started yelling, "Sos un pelotudo imortante!! Cuidense las pertenencias porque ese tipo le gusta robar!!! Viste que esta usando mi blackberry ahora."

Granted I was 4 months preggo with hormones surging, but it was pretty funny for all the spectators. Even funnier when the people around him took 5 steps back!! Maybe he'll think twice before stealing.

But I get it... I could give a rats ass about the phone, its the principle.. They'll get theirs in the end, don't you worry!!

LC222 said:

if you don't want the phone back then there is no risk in reporting him as a seller to mercadolibre at least, his DNI is connected to the account and they are trying very hard to keep their transactions legit.

Back