New Dollar Restrictions

Don't make visa runs. You're not doing anything except putting yourself in the bull's eye of immigrations. There's a whole thread with the participation a respected Argentine immigration and citizenship attorney (bajo cero) that spells out why in detail.

If you need money from outside the country, there are options (Xoom being the easiest) to get cash from your foreign bank account, converted into pesos at a great rate. In the private cuevas you can get dollars, euros, etc on receipt of your transfer. It's more difficult to find the contacts when you get away from Xoom and into the private cuevas, but well worth it because there effectively are no limits on what you can send (there are, but most people don't need to send $100K in a month...).

As to the credit card thing - I didn't have time to read more than the article posted, which didn't offer too much in the way of explanation, other than to say it's not a restriction of the user, but rather the credit card companies. Seems the same to me either way - it's going to impact the user.

One comment I have about international credit card purchases though, related to direct experience:

My wife and I recently drove to Paraguay and stayed there for about 10 days. While we were there, I mostly used my US credit card as the official rate is great and I didn't have to use so much cash. I could also pull out dollars at will from the ATMs (many of them, anyway) using my debit card.

My wife went to a kiosko there (called dispensas in Paraguay) at one point and bought a few things with her Argentine AMEX credit card issued through Santander Rio. The total bill was 21,000 guaranies, or about $4.75 USD.

Upon returning to BA, we received the bank statement from Santander Rio, which included the charges for the credit card to be paid off or rolled into the line of credit to be paid on a monthly basis in installment payments.

We saw the one charge made in Paraguay. It was listed in USD currency. My wife went to pay her balance for the credit card and found that she could not pay that one item with the rest. According to the clerk there (and I'm getting this through my wife - it's her first credit card and credit cards here are different in how they are approached than in the US so she may have some confusion about this and I can't help her from my previous experience - I need to go to the bank and find out if this all is real, what they told her), she could not pay that item with pesos because foreign charges are converted to dollars and must be paid in dollars.

She had a $5 bill left over from our trip in her wallet and she pulled it out to pay the amount. She was then informed that the minimum dollar payment/deposit allowed is $50 USD!

I don't know what in all of that is official policy and what is Santander Rio's.

So, the article mentions that foreign charges are converted (but they don't explicitly say to the peso) at the official rate. Somehow, through all those conversions, we ended up with a straight conversion from guaranies to dollars at the direct guarani to dollar rate with no loss, even of a few cents, by my calculation.

Strange, all of it...

El chabon said:
I am also sure your chances of your visa getting rejected are the biggest in Colonia, most expats use that route

Nobody ever got rejected going to Colonia (we read once in a while that a friend of a friend of a friend had problems... mhhhh) except, maybe, for just a very few cases.
As it has been discussed quite many times (indeed) on this forum, it's useless to do the round trip thing for the tourist visa, it's rather counterproductive in fact.

As for El Expatriado's solution, while I can't personally vouch for him, I've got a close friend who had a perfect XP with him. I would gladly use his services except that his method is subject to certain requirements I don't meet. So if some people still go to Colonia, it's because they don't have much other choices.

I have been told by a immigration-officer when I did the colonia trip I need to get a different visa if I want to stay in Argentina, don't know if I am marked, dont really care.

ElQueso said:
Don't make visa runs. You're not doing anything except putting yourself in the bull's eye of immigrations. There's a whole thread with the participation a respected Argentine immigration and citizenship attorney (bajo cero) that spells out why in detail.

If you need money from outside the country, there are options (Xoom being the easiest) to get cash from your foreign bank account, converted into pesos at a great rate. In the private cuevas you can get dollars, euros, etc on receipt of your transfer. It's more difficult to find the contacts when you get away from Xoom and into the private cuevas, but well worth it because there effectively are no limits on what you can send (there are, but most people don't need to send $100K in a month...).

As to the credit card thing - I didn't have time to read more than the article posted, which didn't offer too much in the way of explanation, other than to say it's not a restriction of the user, but rather the credit card companies. Seems the same to me either way - it's going to impact the user.

One comment I have about international credit card purchases though, related to direct experience:

My wife and I recently drove to Paraguay and stayed there for about 10 days. While we were there, I mostly used my US credit card as the official rate is great and I didn't have to use so much cash. I could also pull out dollars at will from the ATMs (many of them, anyway) using my debit card.

My wife went to a kiosko there (called dispensas in Paraguay) at one point and bought a few things with her Argentine AMEX credit card issued through Santander Rio. The total bill was 21,000 guaranies, or about $4.75 USD.

Upon returning to BA, we received the bank statement from Santander Rio, which included the charges for the credit card to be paid off or rolled into the line of credit to be paid on a monthly basis in installment payments.

We saw the one charge made in Paraguay. It was listed in USD currency. My wife went to pay her balance for the credit card and found that she could not pay that one item with the rest. According to the clerk there (and I'm getting this through my wife - it's her first credit card and credit cards here are different in how they are approached than in the US so she may have some confusion about this and I can't help her from my previous experience - I need to go to the bank and find out if this all is real, what they told her), she could not pay that item with pesos because foreign charges are converted to dollars and must be paid in dollars.

She had a $5 bill left over from our trip in her wallet and she pulled it out to pay the amount. She was then informed that the minimum dollar payment/deposit allowed is $50 USD!

I don't know what in all of that is official policy and what is Santander Rio's.

So, the article mentions that foreign charges are converted (but they don't explicitly say to the peso) at the official rate. Somehow, through all those conversions, we ended up with a straight conversion from guaranies to dollars at the direct guarani to dollar rate with no loss, even of a few cents, by my calculation.

Strange, all of it...

Xoom is not an option for someone from Europe or non- US and some people need dollars not the equivalent in pesos

solerboy said:
Yes, we have this type of legislative procedure in my country too. A Government Minister can make minor adjustments without the need to go back to Parlaiment for approval. It is call A Statutary Instrument.

They are normally used for routine matters

They are not normally to curtail Civil Liberties.

If you are referring to the UK then Statutory Instruments are secondary legislation and have to be lodged with Parliament where they can be debated.

Statutory instruments can be used for any purpose provided for by primary legislation i.e Acts of Parliament.

That includes what you say is a "civil liberty" but in fact is not anything like that.

I have posted before exchange controls are a legitimate macro-economic tool for any country and point picked up in an earlier post that in the UK lasted from the 2nd WW when UK was in huge debt until the Thatcher Government's ascendancy and in most of the rest of Western Europe as well.

I can quite understand why it is good policy to squeeze out US$ from domestic transactions.

But especially as USA claim and exercise superior sovereignty over any transaction involving US$ wherever in the World which has now come to a head with the allegations over Standard Chartered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19157426

I'm not passing judgement over whether this bank was or was not involved in UN sanction busting the point Im making is that USA authorities claim US$ superiority over national sovereignty any transaction anywhere in the world even if not taking place on USA territory.

In long term interest for UK to throw £ in with Euro to provide an alternative trading currency not subject to hegemony but better let that settle down for the moment! :)

El chabon said:
Xoom is not an option for someone from Europe or non- US and some people need dollars not the equivalent in pesos

Yeah, that's where you absolutely need to make a contact with a private cueva. I can't stress enough how easy that makes life for anyone.

And that's Argentina - the more contacts you make, the easier it is to live here.

PhilinBSAS said:
I can quite understand why it is good policy to squeeze out US$ from domestic transactions.

:)

That may or may not be the case, but this discussion is about the availabiliity of foreign currency for the purpose of travel outside Argentina, not domestic transactions.

It may not be the intention of the legislation to prevent people travelling, but that is the effect (unless one wishes to use the black market).

That to me is a curtailment of civil liberties

expatinowncountry said:
1) Phrase took out of context.
2) Wrong: the US dollar do not belong to the people, so they are not begging for their pocket money. So far, if you have US dollars in the bank, you can get those dollars back. If you do not have them, the government does not authorize you to buy them.

The US Dollar does not belong to the people but the pesos that they earn and save are definitely theirs and they should have the right to spend those pesos when and where they want.

solerboy said:
That may or may not be the case, but this discussion is about the availabiliity of foreign currency for the purpose of travel outside Argentina, not domestic transactions.

It may not be the intention of the legislation to prevent people travelling, but that is the effect (unless one wishes to use the black market).

That to me is a curtailment of civil liberties

Fair point directing me to stay on post! :)

Can you please advise me where does it say in any constitution/bill of rights/Human rights statement that there is a right for a a citizen of a country to travel abroad? (ok may have to be slightly qualified if own nation is (edit) inside supra national entity like EU or Mercosur where mutual treaty to recognise freedom of movement)

Looking at my passport it seems to be a licence issued personally to me on behalf of Head of State not a "right".

All I can find on UK Gov website is what says ... If you have settled in the UK, you are free to travel abroad and return here, provided you can show the immigration officer evidence in your passport or travel document that you have permanent residence - known as 'indefinite leave to remain' - in this country.

Admittedly being a UK citizen I dont have an explicit constitution to refer to - for the majority of countries who have such a benefit is there anything anywhere about the right to travel abroad as you express?

Wikipedia discussion is about freedom of movement but that is WITHIN a state of origin not freedom to bugger off anywhere you like and buy whatever currency you elect.

In the back of my mind is a dim recollection about something in US history about one of the early US leaders saying something about the right to leave/opt out (not quite the same but similar and possibly something to do with the wonderful Empire Loyalists who headed north) but Im not in anyway up to speed on that so not sure whether that is in the USA constitution and Im not inclined to plough through it on a fishing expedition.

and this being on an ex-pats website and to keep firmly to the point then is there any "right" at all for people not of this state to change currency of the state into currency of another for the purposes of spending elsewhere?

constitutionalists please feel free to inform!

happy to sit back and consider :) otherwise I have no reason to agree with your assertion about a "liberty" which no country anywhere recognises

Back