Newbie Looking For Advice.

I may end up going back to Thailand but just want to try something else for a while. It is cheaper to live and the women there are beautiful. However, the language is extremely difficult to pick up, the air pollution is bad, the food, while delicious, is not particularly healthful. I also think you can make the argument that Thailand is kind of a police state. Then there is the heat.

Hi;

Bravo for wanting to try somewhere new.

I'm curious about your experiences in Thailand. In what ways is Thailand a police state? And how does it impact you?
If you read previous posts here you'll see that there is increasing government interference with our daily lives, so I'm curious about whats happening in Thailand.

What part of Thailand do you live in that is so hot?

Jeff

Caballito is a nice neighborhood. Not full of foreigners, cheaper than Palermo, and it has everything that you could want in terms of supermarkets, verdulerias, etc.

B.A. is the natural choice for people that look for a major world capital , its way above Asuncion, Montevideo, Lima, Quito, and PAnama, can only compare to Rio and perhaps Santiago. If one can afford it that is. If you want peace and quiet choose Vilacamba, Ecuador where people live to be 100. A sleepy village in the Ecuadorian Andes

Well, the political situation does matter to many of us as well as the economic situation. Personally I do have a lot of concerns about many of the restrictions this gov't has put into place. The OP may not (or you) which is all fine but my question is simply if he is aware of the current political/economic situation here. I didn't see anything in his post to indicate he had spent any time here before deciding to come down, hence my questions. There is a "political situation" here - just b/c it's not a coup doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Yes, there is indeed a political and economic situation here, but nothing that hasn't happened before. There's a "political and economic situation" down here every 12 years or so. I was here in 2001 and the day-to-day wasn't as bad as some people like to recall. Don't get me wrong, it was terrible, but it certainly was no Indonesian coup.

Did I say it was? Again - my point was simply asking if the OP was aware of what is going on here. He very may well be and not care - which is absolutely reasonable.

But you know, I'm one of those that live here, who is involved in a biz that deals in pesos and have to deal with the travel/currency/import restrictions the gov't is putting into place and challenging business environment. So I may have a slightly different take on it than many who don't work here, don't get affected by those things, etc.

ETA - And just b/c it happens on a cyclical basis, that doesn't make it any less stressful.

Hi JSchuler, welcome on board. I've just returned home after 3 weeks in B.A city and province, admittedly I was a tourist and spoke a unique brand of "Spanglish", but I had an absolutely great time, and plan on returning for a longer stay in the country. Edited to add that I plan on improving the "Spanglish" to usable Spanish before my next visit :D

The practical advice on this site is good as to bringing US$ and plenty of them depending on your length of stay, transport, best places to stay, and what to do. As for the political situation I can't really comment. I saw nor heard anything during my minuscule stay to raise alarm bells, but then again I have lived in more politically volatile countries. Having said that I know that many on this site have concerns for the future, specifically for the economy....the same applies in even the most countries at present. Best practice, always have Plan B up your sleve should things start to kick off. I should add that I found the locals were lovely, I found them to be friendly, polite, great conversationalists and always helpful. I don't know if you are planning to work whilst there? Simply,when all is said and done it has to be your decision!

My advice, for what its worth, go with an open mind, keep your radar switched on, as with all contries be aware of the scams, and give it a go. Suerte.

Thanks to the 3-4 people who actually recommended neighborhoods. I will begin researching.

I may start a new thread titled " If BA is so awful why don't you live somewhere else."

Yawn - and then you will be just like every other newbie poster who says the same thing to people who you know, actually live here. Asking questions about one's understanding of life here doesn't mean people "hate it here" or think it's so "awful." FWIW, there are hundreds of posts a year from people that are moving to Buenos Aires b/c it's so great/cheap/whatever and it turns out they have never visited and know nothing about life here and get a rude awakening when they arrive. Or they've come for vacation for 2 weeks and think Bs As is the place for them without doing any research and then show up and 3/6/9 months later, wind up leaving disillusioned.

My intention wasn't to be rude by asking what background you have here, simply trying to understand why you want to come here so that I (we) could pinpoint some advice including what neighborhoods might be a good fit. And when you posted things like "long term visa" (which doesn't exist) and "culturally diverse" (which is a far description from what Buenos Aires is although that's improving), it set off some question marks in my head. But carry on.

Good luck with your move here and hope that Bs As suits you well.

I'm considering a move to BA and I had a lot of responses to my posts regarding daily life in the city. Some were possitive and some not so possitive, I take this forum as much needed therapy for people putting up with the trials of city living. Your move to BA, like anything else in life, is what you make out of it. Good luck

Back