Ok Buenos Aires here we come...

The way I see it, from the locals complain a hell of a lot about Buenos Aires and Argentina. But when expats complain they have that same old reaction anyone has when complaining about THEIR job, THEIR family, THEIR life etc -- "hey, it's fine if I complain about it -- but if you do, wow, that's bloody insulting... you're talking about MY [blank]"

The thing is, people like Steve and myself and a whole boatload of others on this board have been here for years, integrated as much as one possibly can in their own way, have relationships with Argentines, deal with the same bureaucracy that Argentines deal with everyday, stand in the same bloody lines to do tramites etc etc. We have more than earned our right to complain too.

So maybe before people say "Hey if you don't like it, go home" they should have a look at their join date on this forum. They should have a look at the types of posts they're putting up. When a person has been a member of the board for years on end and active the whole time, it usually means they are permanent here. They know what they're talking about, and they've got the same gripes about the place as any local does.

And they're not planning on going "home" just because of them. They're already home, or as much "home" as they can possibly be.

Welcome!! Living out retirement dreams is wonderful. No wonder you are excited! A little about our retirement story as Expats. We came here over two years ago,not speaking Spanish, just visiting. Within ten days we started the process to purchase a home. Some people do take longer in making life decisions but we came, we saw, we loved this city, this country so jumped in with both feet. Everyday we give thanks for our decision. No regrets. Please don't let others damper your excitement or judge you for the adventure you are about to begin. Glad to answer any further questions you may have.

As a local, I don't feel insulted when expats criticize Argentina, but I am deeply intrigued. I'm here for family reasons, but many expats have all the world to choose from.

I am curious to know what makes Argentina attractive enough to put up with all the inconveniences and problems of functioning here. Sometimes foreigners see things that we locals fail to notice.

Welcome!! Living out retirement dreams is wonderful. No wonder you are excited! A little about our retirement story as Expats. We came here over two years ago,not speaking Spanish, just visiting. Within ten days we started the process to purchase a home. Some people do take longer in making life decisions but we came, we saw, we loved this city, this country so jumped in with both feet. Everyday we give thanks for our decision. No regrets. Please don't let others damper your excitement or judge you for the adventure you are about to begin. Glad to answer any further questions you may have.

Risu... great post...... yes let these two people come down check it out and make there own choice... I love Argentina... yes it has problems.. what place doesnt have them!!!!!
These two people are so excited to retire come down here and start a new and exciting experience.... the first time you have a great steak and a great malbec... you will be sold!!!! We dont know their life, finances or their cost of living in the USA....... so Argentina may be paradise for them..... sure they need to look and check things out.... look into other cities etc...
But Welcome to Argentina.. you will love it..... dont worry about all these people fighting and complaining on here... cheers!!!!! have fun!!!!

Thanks a BUNCH- and Yes when I usually intro myself, it's Janet as in Damn it janet... most people don't get it! That was great about Rocky Horror no one EVER has gotten that about our names together...LMAO!
As for your info, thanks, this is why we are headed down, get a small taste before we do jump and your info on the other areas was wonderful, thanks!

ElQueso said:
Chad and Janet (I'm sorry, but "Brad and Janet" comes to mind - I don't know who's familiar with Rocky Horror Picture Show...)

Risu
Would love to chat more about your retirement, area your in etc. Thanks for the post... knowing we might be somewhat like you all, all though we have to return for reasons and can't stay, but would love to hear details please

janet&chad said:
Thanks a BUNCH- and Yes when I usually intro myself, it's Janet as in Damn it janet... most people don't get it! That was great about Rocky Horror no one EVER has gotten that about our names together...LMAO!

Just don't tell me you know a historian named Dr. Scott!

Janet! Dr. Scott! Janet? Brad! Rocky! Uh!

:)

I really don't understand the comments about Bs.As being an expensive city. United States is a very cheap place and who knows how the businesses make any money by selling goods cheaper than places like Turkey or Greece. I had two friends visiting London from Argentina recently- and sterling is the weakest it has been in a long time, they thought UK was 10 times more expensive- even though it is a bit of an exaggeration.

Yes we know about the annual inflation rate of 20-30% and I checked every single forum and blog on information on life in Argentina and the cost of living and asked a couple of portenos if those prices were accurate so that I am better prepared, yes they are accurate and the prices are still 1/2 to 1/3 of London on average, public transport being probably 1/10- a single metro ticket is about 12-20 pesos in London. A movie ticket costs £2.50 to £3.50 there when we pay £7.50-10 in UK. I look at the rentals, rooms cost about £500 in an average suburb- nowhere near the centre- in London, sharing the flat with 3 others, check Craigslist Buenos Aires- really nice rooms in the best parts of the city- that would cost £800-1000 per month are about £200-300. Yes it must be very expensive for an average porteno, but for someone that has USD or GBP income?

There was a comment about Colonia being 1/3 more expensive than Bs As and Montevideo even more, that is another third world country. I have never been to US but wondering how cheap it must be outside New York, to be cheaper than some third world countries where people are earning £2 an hour.

I do not believe that anyone would need to spend 4k a month if they got out of Belgrano or Palermo , stopped eating in restaurants every day. I could spend that money in Ethiopia easily too if I tried, it depends on how one lives. From what I understand, Buenos Aires is a great city despite the rising crime, so there must be a lot to do or stuff to spend your money on, not some boring small American or English town. And electronics and imported goods are usually very expensive in third world countries.

To me this is very cheap even if the prices are 10-20% more now - and apparently they are not:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&city1=London&country2=Argentina&city2=Buenos+Aires&displayCurrency=USD

argsteve said:
Risu... great post...... yes let these two people come down check it out and make there own choice... I love Argentina... yes it has problems.. what place doesnt have them!!!!!

I certainly agree!

argsteve said:
These two people are so excited to retire come down here and start a new and exciting experience.... the first time you have a great steak and a great malbec... you will be sold!!!!

Is that a legitimate reason to move here?

argsteve said:
We dont know their life, finances or their cost of living in the USA....... so Argentina may be paradise for them..... sure they need to look and check things out.... look into other cities etc...

Excellent advice!

argsteve said:
But Welcome to Argentina.. you will love it..... dont worry about all these people fighting and complaining on here... cheers!!!!! have fun!!!!

They might love it.

They also might be robbed the first day they are here.

The how would they feel?

(I as extorted at customs at EZE upon my first arrival.)

Back